PDA

View Full Version : The son/daughter of Pelor!

Corran
2017-06-03, 08:58 AM
Admission: The title was extra specific so that to generate some interest (hopefully).

Goal: To create a very special snowflake!

Focus: Approximate the flavour of devas/ planetars/ solars and/or empyreans.

Warning: This is not about optimization, it is about flavour, so please offer suggestions having that in mind.

Initially I was thinking cleric, but I think a favored soul (sorcerer) can cherry pick the most thematic cleric spells while also granting us access to wings and spells like wish eventually (thus using wish to replicate the effects of thematic spells that wont make it into the list due to the limited number of known spells). Aasimar for race seems like a no-brainer too.

I've done some progress on my own on this, but I would like to see what the playground thinks of how to create such a Mary Sue character. It is not meant for actual play, so dont limit yourselves when offering suggestions. Refluffing allowed, but I would like to avoid it, or at the very least, keep it to a minimum.

Quoxis
2017-06-03, 09:48 AM
Aasimar seems obvious, and as you're better off casting using Cha you will want to take the favored soul sorcerer.

I'd personally choose to be a scourge aasimar, because nothing screams "son of the sun god" like being engulfed with light that hurts everyone too close for their own good, and combined with the feature of the favored soul that gives you bonus hp the +1 con from that subrace is welcome as it makes you even sturdier - mage armor and shield will even make you somewhat suitable for frontline combat.
There's alo multiclassing: take a few levels of paladin (2 are enough) to make the almost overpowered Sorcadin combo and furthermore get heavy armor.

Less obvious: sun soul monk (in that case, you're better off as a protector aasimar, both for wings and the wis increase): fly around with wings of light while shooting Dex based radiant damage dealing fireballs, never come close enough to be in melee combat and catch arrows while maniacally laughing "I am a god" in your increasingly hopeless opponents' faces*. You'd want to prioritize Dex and Wis in that case, which makes the +2 Cha rather redundant (unless you'd want to MC into a class like sorcerer for spellcasting, but even then you'd be better off with a few levels of cleric, either life or light domain). A dude with wings of light shooting light from above, maybe blessing themselves and others (cleric mc or "magic initiate) seems like something a god would build as their champion imo.

* optional

Unoriginal
2017-06-03, 09:51 AM
Do you want the literal child of Pelor? Or just as a title?

Corran
2017-06-03, 10:30 AM
Aasimar seems obvious, and as you're better off casting using Cha you will want to take the favored soul sorcerer.

I'd personally choose to be a scourge aasimar, because nothing screams "son of the sun god" like being engulfed with light that hurts everyone too close for their own good
Hmmm, scourge aasimar sounds good. Was mostly thinking of the dmg version as I havent really checked scourge aasimars, but I like the way you are describing it.

There's alo multiclassing: take a few levels of paladin (2 are enough) to make the almost overpowered Sorcadin combo and furthermore get heavy armor.
Yeah, I was considering 3 paladin levels in devotion, to get the gleaming magical sword (sacred weapon) and immunity to diseases, along with some other flavorfull additions (lay on hands, divine sense, smite).

Less obvious: sun soul monk (in that case, you're better off as a protector aasimar, both for wings and the wis increase): fly around with wings of light while shooting Dex based radiant damage dealing fireballs, never come close enough to be in melee combat and catch arrows while maniacally laughing "I am a god" in your increasingly hopeless opponents' faces. You'd want to prioritize Dex and Wis in that case, which makes the +2 Cha rather redundant (unless you'd want to MC into a class like sorcerer for spellcasting, but even then you'd be better off with a few levels of cleric, either life or light domain). A dude with wings of light shooting light from above, maybe blessing themselves and others (cleric mc or "magic initiate) seems like something a god would build as their champion imo.
That sounds good too. I would rather focus on something that would eventually give me access to wish and true resurrection (closest thing to a miracle I would say), but I can see how a sun soul monk would fit the theme.

Do you want the literal child of Pelor? Or just as a title?
Well, a character that would have enough flavour about him to justify being the child of a diety such as Pelor.
Essentially a character that would get enough mechanical support to emmulate much of the abilities/ fluff that angels, empyreans and other otherwordly entities of such nature, get.

Edit:
An empyrean can experience deity-like fits of serenity or rage. It can affect the environment around it by its mood. When an empyrt';,an is unhappy, the clouds might cry tears of salt water, the wildflowers in surrounding meadows might wilt, dead fish might wash ashore in lakes or rivers, or a nearby forest might lose the leaves from its trees. When an empyrean is jubilant, sunlight follows it everywhere, small animals frolic in its footsteps, and birds fill the sky with their pleasing songs.

Pick control weather.

Quoxis
2017-06-03, 10:50 AM
Hmmm, scourge aasimar sounds good. Was mostly thinking of the dmg version as I havent really checked scourge aasimars, but I like the way you are describing it.

Volo's guide to monsters: Scourge aasimar are unable to sprout wings, but can "unleash the divine energy within [themselves], [...] pour [light] out of [their] eyes and mouth, and threaten to char [them]" which makes you shed light in a 10 foot radius, deal 1/2 of your level in radiant damage to creatures in said radius, and you can deal additional radiant damage on a hit (by weapon or spell). Also +1 to con as standard racial bonus.

That sounds good too. I would rather focus on something that would eventually give me access to wish and true resurrection (closest thing to a miracle I would say), but I can see how a sun soul monk would fit the theme.

It's a question of what you want to play: the sun soul "justice from above" guy is more of a chosen champion of his god for fighting their enemies (be it demons or rival deities' worshippers), while the miracle working sorcerer is more like Jesus who occasionally turns evildoers into burning bushes (bible references ftw).

An empyrean can experience deity-like fits of serenity or rage. It can affect the environment around it by its mood. When an empyrt';,an is unhappy, the clouds might cry tears of salt water, the wildflowers in surrounding meadows might wilt, dead fish might wash ashore in lakes or rivers, or a nearby forest might lose the leaves from its trees. When an empyrean is jubilant, sunlight follows it everywhere, small animals frolic in its footsteps, and birds fill the sky with their pleasing songs.

Pick control weather.

Now i'm thinking of an aasimar barbarian with a few levels of druid...

Edit: reading up on Pelor makes me think of even more kewl fluff:

Pelor rides a kirin -> "find steed" spell, summon a warhorse with a dragon head and a single horn as fluff. Maybe take some bard levels to swipe that spell from the pally list.
Pelor also has an agricultural aspect -> grab some druid spells like druidcraft, plant growth, maybe entangle etc.

Overall, there are plenty of sun related or refluffable spells on the druid's list, so that's also possible, alongside with the flavor of the empyrean...

ruy343
2017-06-03, 03:54 PM
I don't know why a monk following the "Way of the Sun Soul" (See the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) hasn't yet been suggested. Channeling personal ki power to shoot beams of light? I'd say that fits.

You could combine it with light cleric (rather well, actually) if you'd like a way to express your devotion (with spell slots).

Quoxis
2017-06-04, 03:02 AM
I don't know why a monk following the "Way of the Sun Soul" (See the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) hasn't yet been suggested.

The FIRST answer in this thread. The VERY FIRST ONE.

Less obvious: sun soul monk (in that case, you're better off as a protector aasimar, both for wings and the wis increase): fly around with wings of light while shooting Dex based radiant damage dealing fireballs, never come close enough to be in melee combat and catch arrows while maniacally laughing "I am a god" in your increasingly hopeless opponents' faces*. (...) (unless you'd want to MC into a class like sorcerer for spellcasting, but even then you'd be better off with a few levels of cleric, either life or light domain).