PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighting Style Upgrades/Remixes/Homebrew

2017-06-03, 06:00 PM
A quick word up-front: these fighting styles are more powerful than normal basically acrosd the board. I did this because I was of the opinion that while a broader range of Fighting Styles were useful for making more varied characters, the number of 1st party and homebrew fighting styles was growing enough that most builds would want to pick up two or three...and most would only ever get one. To make dipping less necessary to have a nice build, and to give martials a little something nice since I feel they start falling behind a bit in the later levels, I've put together this list of upgraded Fighting styles, with the hope that having only a single one will still be sufficient for most builds. Once I get around to making some custom feats, I'll likely also be making a feat to pick up an additional fighting style and generic bonus.

At times, these remixes will reference rules changes I made over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526311-Remixes-Of-Existing-Mechanics) to flanking, two-weapon fighting, grappling, and shoving.

Archery

Attack +1 when making ranged weapon attack (+2 at 10th level)
No disadvantage for making ranged weapon attacks in melee
Can use ranged weapon to make ranged OAs at people who trigger within 5 ft

Brawler

Your unarmed strike is a d4 light finesse weapon, and becomes a d6 light finesse at level 10.
While unarmored, your AC is equal to 10+Dexterity modifier+Constitution modifier. You may use a shield without losing this formula.

Defense

AC +1 when wearing armor or using a shield (+2 at 10th level)

Dervish

When not using armor, shields, or a heavy weapon, Attack +1 and Dexterity saving throws +1 (AC +1 at 10th level)

Dueling

Damage +2 when wielding a single weapon in one hand (+4 at 10th level)

Great Weapon

Damage +1 while wielding a melee weapon in two hands
When you roll a 1, 2, or 3 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
Starting at 10th level, this fighting style also grants you +1 to AC when wielding a melee weapon in two hands

Hurler

Attack +1 and Damage +1 with thrown weapons
No disadvantage for throwing while in melee
Your thrown weapon range increment is doubled; at 10th level, it's tripled instead of doubled.

Iaijutsu

You have proficiency in initiative checks
Attack +1 and Damage +1 when wielding a versatile weapon

Mobility

Land Speed +5 feet (becomes +10 feet at 10th level)
You have advantage on ability checks to climb, jump, swim, and tumble
Starting at 10th level, foes making opportunity attacks against you have disadvantage

Opportunist

Damage +2 on OAs
Add "Distracted Opponent" bonus to damage (or double "Distracted Opponent" bonus at 10th level)

Reactive

You can spend a bonus action to gain additional reactions this round equal to half your proficiency bonus (rounded down).

Resilient

When you roll initiative, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Level plus your Constitution modifier.

Shock Trooper

Shove rolls +(your proficiency bonus)
Shove push distance +10 feet
Shove slid distance +5 feet

Threatening Reach

While you wield a reach weapon, you gain +1 to damage, and the area within your reach counts as difficult terrain for enemies.
Starting at 10th level, when you wield a reach weapon, you gain +1 to AC

Two-Weapon Fighting

Damage +1 while dual-wielding
Damage +1 cumulative for each hit you've previously landed in the same turn (not round, turn)

Versatile

When wielding a versatile weapon in two hands, you gain +1 to Attack rolls and +1 to Damage rolls.
When wielding a versatile weapon in one hand, and not using another weapon or a shield in the other hand, you can take the Grapple action or Use An Object action as a bonus action.

Wrestler

AC +1, Attack +1, and Damage +1 against grappled foe

I present this all with the caveat that I've read a lot of 5e homebrew over the years, particularly for martials, and while I'd like to say that this is all original, I'm sure there's at least a couple ideas here that I've seen elsewhere and since forgotten about.

JNAProductions
2017-06-03, 08:49 PM
Archery is probably too strong. It's already one of the best, and you made it better.

Looks like you made them ALL more powerful. So... Never mind?

Iajitsu seems real weak, compared to the rest.

Mobility's second bullet point needs more explanation.

Overall, they seem balanced against each other, mostly. THAT BEING SAID! Include a note that says these are upgraded compared to regular fighting styles. Won't break the game, but it's something to be aware of.

2017-06-03, 08:59 PM
Archery is probably too strong. It's already one of the best, and you made it better.

Looks like you made them ALL more powerful. So... Never mind?

Iajitsu seems real weak, compared to the rest.

Mobility's second bullet point needs more explanation.

Overall, they seem balanced against each other, mostly. THAT BEING SAID! Include a note that says these are upgraded compared to regular fighting styles. Won't break the game, but it's something to be aware of.

I've already got Upgrade in the title, but I'll make sure to put a note at the top explaining that they're more powerful than normal, and why, so that people don't get the weong idea.

I wasn't sure what else to add to Iaijutsu that wouldnct be too specific without being OP, and I'm open to suggestions. I also wasn't sure about tye second part of Mobility; it's vaguely modeled after the Mariner Fighting Style, with more focus on mobility than defense, but a climb and swim speed felt like too much. Donct know how I feel about a flat bonus though...maybe it wluld work better as "advantage to Athletics and Acrobatics for maneuvering around in-combat"?

JNAProductions
2017-06-03, 09:50 PM
Mobility's second point just makes no sense. I have NO IDEA what it means.

Iajitsu... What is it? What's its point?

2017-06-03, 11:11 PM
Mobility's second point just makes no sense. I have NO IDEA what it means.

Iajitsu... What is it? What's its point?

In my admittedly limited understanding, Iaijutsu is a quick-draw technique used by katana-wielding samurai. The style is largely focused on sudden surprise attacks, and counterattacks. It's use in D&D was popularized in 3.X due to the Iaijutsu Focus skill and the accompanying Iaijutsu Master class, where mastery of the skill could allow for dealing a great deal of damage to a flat-footed foe. The initiative bonus is, I think, a good way to represent the lightning-fast surprise strikes iaijutsu practitioners are capable of, but I was unsure of how to incorporate counterattacks into the fighting style without making it overpowered compared to other fighting styles; a reaction attack would be too much, but beyond that I'm not sure how to incorporate it.

Mangles
2017-06-03, 11:16 PM
Just make Iaijutsu your proficiency bonus. Compared to the Alert feat it is still not as good until 17th level, and only arguably then. All of these are overpowered compared the the regular ones. I know that you note it in your OP but i feel it can't be overstated given how big a difference there is. Most of these are a half a feat improvement.

JNAProductions
2017-06-03, 11:33 PM
Just make Iaijutsu your proficiency bonus. Compared to the Alert feat it is still not as good until 17th level, and only arguably then. All of these are overpowered compared the the regular ones. I know that you note it in your OP but i feel it can't be overstated given how big a difference there is. Most of these are a half a feat improvement.

*Shurg*

It lets those with Fighting Styles get a touch more damage or defense. It's more powerful, but not game breaking.

If I were to use these, though, I'd give something to Barbarians and Rogues, probably-they don't get Fighting Styles.