PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon magic item that best helps a cleric

Klorox
2017-06-03, 10:05 PM
I'm entering a game with an arcana cleric at 6th level.

The DM is throwing me a few potions and one uncommon magic item.

What would you suggest?

solidork
2017-06-04, 09:12 AM
Are you going to be mixing it up in the melee with Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade or are you going to be mostly ranged? Are you a race that has darkvision? Do you know your stats yet?

Winged Boots - These are just crazy powerful for an uncommon item. I covet them on melee characters but would personally feel like scum using them even remotely optimally on a primarily ranged character.
Wand of Web - People usually suggest this.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Could let you melee without having to contribute a lot of points to Strength.
+1 Shield - Boring but very effective.
Goggles of Night - Being the only one without darkvision is pretty awkward, but they aren't as important as they would be for, say, a human rogue.
Headband of Intellect - Mostly flavor, for if you want to actually be good at your Arcana checks without spending a lot of points on intellect.

Findulidas
2017-06-04, 09:22 AM
Winged Boots - These are just crazy powerful for an uncommon item. I covet them on melee characters but would personally feel like scum using them even remotely optimally on a primarily ranged character.

Yeah, this seems like a solid choice. To be fair I would probably not allow them for the very same reason as a dm. They are just a bit too good.

Klorox
2017-06-04, 09:46 AM
Are you going to be mixing it up in the melee with Booming Blade/Greenflame Blade or are you going to be mostly ranged? Are you a race that has darkvision? Do you know your stats yet?

Wand of Web - People usually suggest this.
Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Could let you melee without having to contribute a lot of points to Strength.
+1 Shield - Boring but very effective.
Goggles of Night - Being the only one without darkvision is pretty awkward, but they aren't as important as they would be for, say, a human rogue.
Headband of Intellect - Mostly flavor, for if you want to actually be good at your Arcana checks without spending a lot of points on intellect.
Thank you.

Vhuman arcana cleric
8/14/14/12/16/10

If I chose that headband, I could dump INT and bump up CHA a bit. The glasses help, but I was considering create flame as one of my druid cantrips so I could see in the dark and it has utility. The winged boots are a great idea.

I chose the magic initiate feat at creation so I could use shillelagh for melee.

Level 4 I chose the war caster feat.

I plan on boosting WIS at 8 and 12. If I ever make it to 19, I'm not sure what I'd pick.

solidork
2017-06-04, 11:24 AM
Thank you.

Vhuman arcana cleric
8/14/14/12/16/10

If I chose that headband, I could dump INT and bump up CHA a bit. The glasses help, but I was considering create flame as one of my druid cantrips so I could see in the dark and it has utility. The winged boots are a great idea.

I chose the magic initiate feat at creation so I could use shillelagh for melee.

Level 4 I chose the war caster feat.

I plan on boosting WIS at 8 and 12. If I ever make it to 19, I'm not sure what I'd pick.

Something to keep in mind when you're picking cantrips is that once you hit level 8, the damage part of Produce Flame isn't going to be as useful since it won't benefit from Potent Spellcasting. The light radius is also smaller than Light, and the attack range is only 30ft. If you're going to be taking a ranged attack roll cantrip as one of your Wizard ones, I might reconsider. This goes double if you're going to take Firebolt, since you would be doubling up on damage types.

I'm playing a War Cleric in a Princes of the Apocalypse game that is nearing the end (We're level 11) and I took a second look at the list to see what I would pick for him, if I got a freebie other than Winged Boots. I actually kind of like the looks of the Sentinel Shield, since my initiative is usually pretty bad and my party is not the most perceptive.

Gastronomie
2017-06-04, 11:41 AM
Apart from those listed above, Weapon of Warning is a safe optimized bet (if not too orthodox and power-gamey at worst).

Beechgnome
2017-06-04, 10:13 PM
Staff of the Python can be really effective. It is a CR 2 monster ( 60 hp, +6 to hit, 2d8 +4 dam) and acts on its own initiative and can constrict and restrain. I gave a sentient one to a trickery cleric and its like they have a fifth party member.

Demonslayer666
2017-06-05, 10:25 AM
I'd go with Pearl of Power or Winged Boots.

Specter
2017-06-05, 10:30 AM
Clerics lack a spell recovery method other thsn long rests, so Pearl of Power is great for that. If you don't have darkvision, Goggles of Night too.

rooneg
2017-06-05, 10:32 AM
Winged Boots are probably the strongest uncommon in the game, it's insane that it's not a Rare item.

That said, Adamantine Armor might also be worth a look. For Arcana you'd take Half Plate.

jaappleton
2017-06-05, 10:34 AM
I forget the name. I think Sentinel Shield?

Advantage on Perception Checks
Advantage on Initiative

Pretty sweet for an Uncommon.

BeefGood
2017-06-05, 03:08 PM
Weapon of Extra Attack, grants user an extra attack when using the Attack option.
But I don't think such a thing exists.:smallfrown:

Biggstick
2017-06-05, 05:13 PM
Winged Boots hands down is going to be ideal imo.

here's the thing, with medium armor and being in melee range, that's going to be a bad time for you most of the time. You need the ability to get the heck out of dodge. Winged Boots help with that.

Another poster already made the point to ask you, but you didn't really clear it up. Are you planning to spend a majority of your time in melee, or are you planning on being able to be versatile shooting from the back line with Firebolts and being able to close the gap and bring the pain with GFB/BB/Thornwhip/Shillelagh? You've said you're taking certain spells for melee, but that doesn't answer if you plan on spending most of your time there. Personally, if plan on spending that much time in melee, I feel you should grab Heavy armor somehow. I'd suggest you grabbing this by starting with a Fighter level (martial weapons, heavy armor, and Con saves for being in melee).

Klorox
2017-06-06, 06:32 AM
Winged Boots hands down is going to be ideal imo.

here's the thing, with medium armor and being in melee range, that's going to be a bad time for you most of the time. You need the ability to get the heck out of dodge. Winged Boots help with that.

Another poster already made the point to ask you, but you didn't really clear it up. Are you planning to spend a majority of your time in melee, or are you planning on being able to be versatile shooting from the back line with Firebolts and being able to close the gap and bring the pain with GFB/BB/Thornwhip/Shillelagh? You've said you're taking certain spells for melee, but that doesn't answer if you plan on spending most of your time there. Personally, if plan on spending that much time in melee, I feel you should grab Heavy armor somehow. I'd suggest you grabbing this by starting with a Fighter level (martial weapons, heavy armor, and Con saves for being in melee).
TBH, I'm really not sure. I'm hoping to stay out of melee, but be capable (shillelagh/booming blade) if I need to be in melee.