PDA

View Full Version : 5th level divinations

Keld Denar
2007-08-03, 11:23 AM
So...I got me a shiny new 9th level diviner (well, wiz6/mindbender1/fatespinner2. I was picking spells for his spellbook, and I'm finding myself coming up lacking for his free 5th level divination spell. I got cloudkill and teleport as his 2 free 5th level spells, but he also gets one for gaining a new level of spells as a diviner. I looked through the PHB and CA for some, but didn't find any that tickled my fancy. I don't have SC (but my DM does) and was wondering if there was anything in there that might be tasty.

So, the question is, what 5th level divination spell should I learn. Something with utility at least. Contact other Plane just isn't cutting it. Books open are all Completes, and SC, no Race or Environs books please.

(I probably won't memorize it much anyway, cause quickened true strike is 5th level as well)

EDIT:
I dunno where the free learned spell for specialization comes from. Maybe it is a holdover from 2nd edition. I'd have to dig out my old 2nd ed PHB and check it out. Hmmmmm.

Iku Rex
2007-08-03, 11:41 AM
(Unless there are variants/house rules/feats involved I don't know about you don't get a free divination spell - one of your two new spells must be a divination spell.)

There's not a single 5th level divination spell in the SC. Telepathic bond (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telepathicBond.htm) is a good spell though.

Quietus
2007-08-03, 11:43 AM
I've always been a fan of Prying Eyes.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-03, 12:12 PM
ah, ya thats the one i was gona say, prying eyes is awesome, it puts the lotion in the freaking basket.

Keld Denar
2007-08-03, 01:08 PM
Telepathic Bond is kind of moot at the moment, thanks to the level of Mindbender. I can freely communicate with all my allies as thoughts. It would allow the other party members to communicate with each other though, although they could just use me as a human switchboard, thinking is a pretty quick method of communication. Prying eyes seem ok, that's what I have atm, but I would take just about anything else over it...

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-08-03, 01:18 PM
well i dont have my SC but that would be the place to look, im sure there is somthing there.

Gralamin
2007-08-03, 01:32 PM
There is no 5th level Divinations in Spell Compendium.
Prying Eyes is a good choice.

The_Werebear
2007-08-03, 01:36 PM
How about Terrible Secret (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/STcFi6l45eoAbaxiYPn.html)

Third spell down. Very nasty indeed.

Falrin
2007-08-03, 02:02 PM
If I'm correct a Quickened True Strike might be Handy. Depends on your spell selection though.

Extended Tongues/Arcane Sight might be usefull.

A lot depends on your selection of metamagic feats.

You can always put a 4th LvL Divination in that slot, if you think it'll be more usefull.

namo
2007-08-03, 05:11 PM
one of your two new spells must be a divination spell.

Not true in 3.5E anymore. :smallsmile:

Arbitrarity
2007-08-03, 05:13 PM
He gets a free 5'th level divination slot. Bugging gods is fun, so is Contact Other Plane.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 05:21 PM
Face it, divination is the single most nerfed thing in DnD by a bajillion miles, find out info on your up coming challenges????? INSTANT game down the toilet. you can't expect a good div. spell every level, or even close, because the CR system assumes that your Wiz is played like an attention defecet disorder ass-hol,e that never talks to outsiders.:smallfrown:

CASTLEMIKE
2007-08-03, 05:23 PM
Quickened True Strike, Quickened Know Protections, Contact Other Plane, Prying Eyes, Possibly an Arcane Variant of Divination or Commune.

Oriental Adventures had Dream Sight as a level 4 spell so an Extended Dreamsight spell would be a level 5 spell.

Probably the best bet would be to see if your DM will let you take Divination as a level 5 arcane spell.

Don't forget you can always use a higher level spell slot for a lower level spell.

Falrin
2007-08-03, 05:25 PM
Famous last words:

'Why would you want to know what's in the next room when you can cast fireball?'

mostlyharmful
2007-08-03, 05:44 PM
Whenever you play a wiz there really is no excuse for not knowing who youare facing, what weapons and equipment they use, who their allies are, where their lair is , why they are doing what they're doing, who they value, what their dirty secrets are, how to bypass all their traps, why they're doing what they're doing what they're doing, what it'll take to make them stop, what their shoe size is then the player's doing something wrong. the prepared casters are at their strongest when they know exactly what they are up against, with divination a wizard or cleric can simply wait in their unassailable fortress of doom and fluffy bunnies until they can one shot everything they are likely to face:smallsmile:

Cruiser1
2007-08-03, 08:31 PM
Not true in 3.5E anymore. :smallsmile:
Regrettably, this is still true. If you specialize, then when you gain a level, one your free spells must be from your specialty school (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook). This is one of the downsizes of school specialization. If you don't have access to scrolls or other wizards, then half of the spells in your spellbook will be from your specialty school. This at least ensures you'll have something to actually put in the extra spell slot granted by specializing.

Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast. If she has chosen to specialize in a school of magic, one of the two free spells must be from her specialty school.

Falrin
2007-08-03, 08:59 PM
We don't know what the WBL of a 9th LvL character is. :) But I'm pretty sure you can buy a whole lot of much needed spells with it.

Arbitrarity
2007-08-03, 09:06 PM
Enough, seeing as 150 gp/spell level is the cost. Of course, this assumes no BBB, nor secret page cheese, nor that some DM's are nasty about this "knowledge of spells" stuff. And some don't like WBL.

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-04, 01:27 AM
Whenever you play a wiz there really is no excuse for not knowing who youare facing, what weapons and equipment they use, who their allies are, where their lair is , why they are doing what they're doing, who they value, what their dirty secrets are, how to bypass all their traps, why they're doing what they're doing what they're doing, what it'll take to make them stop, what their shoe size is then the player's doing something wrong. the prepared casters are at their strongest when they know exactly what they are up against, with divination a wizard or cleric can simply wait in their unassailable fortress of doom and fluffy bunnies until they can one shot everything they are likely to face:smallsmile:

A DM that cockblocks you is a pretty good excuse.

mostlyharmful
2007-08-04, 03:57 AM
That's a good explanation, if your DM stomps on a perfectly valid use of magic cause it'd swiss cheese any BBEG plot then it's not you fault and all you can do is try to run with it or stomp off and write up a dumb fighter. It's an excuse if it's you thats undermining the Divinations school if you just don't use it.

Example: A wiz wants the powerful MacGuffin in a dungeon, if the DM stops him from scrying and diviing the Bejessus out of it before he ever sticks his nose outside his tower then fair enough. If he just teleports to the entrance of the dungeon and wanders in content with a head full of spells and no clue what's inside then he deserves to get splatted. Just cause it's what rogues and fighters would do doesn't make it a good game plan for the Int 24 guy that has to prepare everything he can do that rocks