PDA

View Full Version : Moon-Linked Elemental Creatures (The PCs Can Become)

Trevortni
2017-06-04, 02:25 AM
My players are going to the moon.

To do that, they have to perform a ritual under the full moon, then step into the moon's reflection to be transported there. This ritual can only be performed by moon-linked creatures, one of each element. I'm assuming the traditional Earth/Water/Air/Fire elements, with an optional Spirit element depending on the number of players when it's time to cast it. They all need to be creatures the PCs can become, so they can perform the ritual themselves.

Some of these creatures are pretty obvious: Werewolf for Earth, Mermaid for Water, Vampire for Air (because bats). Obviously I'll be adjusting these where necessary so they aren't forced to be Evil. I'll also be looking for ways to preemptively spring some of these on the PCs before they know they need them, because Destiny and all that.

But I'm having trouble coming up with ideas for Fire and Spirit. I need creatures similar in power levels to the others, so Dragons and Fireflies probably aren't going to make much sense (if I could even think of a rationale for Dragons to be lunar, which I haven't actually bothered with because power level). I'm kind of toying with the idea of declaring a Phoenix as somehow being lunar (and contagious) because they'll eventually want to go to the Sun as well, but I think it would be better if I come up with a different method of getting to the Sun; and besides, it just feels wrong.

Any ideas what might be some good mythical creatures (besides my extremely lame backup were-owl)? Suggestions to replace my existing ideas would also be welcome, or even creatures that fit a different elemental scheme, especially if a different elemental scheme has a different number of elements that I might keep tucked away in the event of an unusual number of players.

noob
2017-06-04, 09:12 AM
Was not the phoenix an unique mythic bird?

AceOfFools
2017-06-04, 11:47 PM
Kitsune: fox fire that burms silver, like moonlight. They are shape shifters (like the moon herself), mysterious and foxes are not above hunting at night.

Granted, I'm pulling the kitsune/fox fire connection from Inuyasha, so I have no idea about accuracy on that part... but it fits at least as well as vampires and air.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-06, 01:44 AM
There has to be a way to use an owlbear here... ;)

Trevortni
2017-06-19, 02:00 AM
Kitsune: fox fire that burms silver, like moonlight. They are shape shifters (like the moon herself), mysterious and foxes are not above hunting at night.

Granted, I'm pulling the kitsune/fox fire connection from Inuyasha, so I have no idea about accuracy on that part... but it fits at least as well as vampires and air.

Well, it's an idea. I guess I can make a way for the PCs to become one if I want, can't I? Maybe some kind of ritual initiation or something, to give something different than being bitten by the werewolf and vampire. If nothing better comes up for Fire, I guess Spirit is all that's left then.