PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles in a Fantasy setting.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 09:21 AM
So uh, I thought I'd give one of my character a unique way to identify her.

Basically, she'd have her bangs in her hair go down her face and cover up to her eyes, basically short everywhere, but it gets long over her eyes. But I am not too sure it'd agree with the fantasy setting or my DM, whoever it may be.

Is anything stopping me from doing so? Can I have any justification for this?

Findulidas
2017-06-04, 09:26 AM
Is anything stopping me from doing so? Can I have any justification for this?

Ive never had a dm say no to hair design before. Even some gratuitous anime hair has passed.

That said this is probably something you should ask your dm.

suplee215
2017-06-04, 09:35 AM
Depends on how realistic your DM wants to be. What class are you? Prestidigitation can do wonders.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 09:40 AM
She is a Fighter who specializes in archery.

Yeah, somebody who has bangs right over her eyes does archery mainly. It's rather confusing, I know.

Is there any check I need to make when actually styling? If it's dexterity I might make it, but not if it is charisma...

Naanomi
2017-06-04, 09:54 AM
Disguise tool Proficiency if really needed? Not something I'd ever call for a check for...

Sir cryosin
2017-06-04, 10:02 AM
I'm not trying to be mean but I'm baffled by this thread. Your not asking for two 5ft tall mohawks on the side of your head. Your character hair cut is not anything crazy. It's a wired style sure. Also have you ever had your hair cover your eyes it's like looking through sun glasses or a very very thin sheet or fabric. So you can see.

Quoxis
2017-06-04, 10:08 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqzo9VIUEAAlaKD.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqzo9VIUEAAlaKD.jpg

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 10:13 AM
I sorta imagined my character's style like this, for reference...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2a/26/13/2a261356b192c6e5288857858c50cb96.jpg

Quoxis
2017-06-04, 10:17 AM
I sorta imagined my character's style like this, for reference...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2a/26/13/2a261356b192c6e5288857858c50cb96.jpg

Nier Automata's 2B was the main inspiration, i suppose?

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 10:19 AM
Nier Automata's 2B was the main inspiration, i suppose?

Huh? No, I just liked how it looked. Sorry to disappoint.

Findulidas
2017-06-04, 10:21 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqzo9VIUEAAlaKD.jpghttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqzo9VIUEAAlaKD.jpg

To be fair thats mostly what the medival pictures show that people had, in europe that is.

hymer
2017-06-04, 10:24 AM
I think it depends on the style of the campaign. I could see a DM asking why the character so dependent on her vision has a hairstyle specifically designed so as to hinder her vision. Or asking how you'd maintain such intricate a hairstyle in the wilds (to which there may be answers, as has been mentioned above).
On the other hand, most DMs likely wouldn't give a fig what hairstyle your PC has.

Gastronomie
2017-06-04, 10:37 AM
I think it depends on the style of the campaign. I could see a DM asking why the character so dependent on her vision has a hairstyle specifically designed so as to hinder her vision. Or asking how you'd maintain such intricate a hairstyle in the wilds (to which there may be answers, as has been mentioned above).
On the other hand, most DMs likely wouldn't give a fig what hairstyle your PC has.Pretty much this. Like, for instance, if your campaign is about playing childrens' trading cards, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you having a crazy hairstyle.

But really, as a DM I wouldn't really care.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 12:54 PM
I think the only time I've had hair styles matter in a game is where a loose collection of city states tended to be influenced by one of two rivals, with very different hair styles for men.

As a DM, I think I'd be a little weirded out by someone having their hair cover their eyes, because that's kinda weird. But if you made the hair a little longer, couldn't she tie it back or use a bandanna to get it out of her eyes for battle?

Perhaps you should explain why she's going for such a hair style, especially for a noblewoman who would presumably be proud of her heritage. I think female samurai tended to have longer hair, so if you want unique, I'd look at those hair styles. A foreign hairstyle with different hair accessories (from my female friends I have learned that some hair types will not function with traditional asian hair combs in the slightest) might be very unique if you are having second thoughts about this.

Also, are you trying to have a modern hair cut, or make it look like she gave herself a bad hair cut with a sword? I could see it being either way.

Tetrasodium
2017-06-04, 01:08 PM
I'd be more concerned if a player asked for explicit GM approval for a hair style rather than just saying "" she's got hair over her eyes" or whatever.
My reason ia that 1: This screams to me as something that's going to be a huge hassle that will take over way more of the game than any one else at the able could possibly care for. 2: getting GM approval for something is often leveraged as a way to bend some rule & this is so strange I'm not sure what it might be or what I need to be careful of

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-04, 01:23 PM
I ask my players to try and maintain some semblance of verisimilitude, but that's never stopped me from approving thoroughly stupid characters and/or decisions. This is a drop in the bucket, it isn't even that glaring.

You could even argue that they have unusually sensitive eyes, and direct sunlight can hurt. So you designed your haircut to give you a bit of shade, and have learned to compensate for it. It's so normal now that you don't even think to put it up when there isn't any sun to deal with it.

For reference on what I think a stupid character concept is that I've approved because I'm a soft DM, I allowed someone to play a sun soul monk in Curse of Strahd named... Vegeta. That told everyone he was a Saiyan prince from outer space. And insisted he wore Saiyan armor.

Everyone ELSE picked horror-appropriate characters. I then made a conscious decision to have villains try to humiliate him in combat so that he'd have something thematic to roleplay with, and instead he managed to screw up roleplaying a stupid anime character that didn't belong in the first place by suddenly turning cowardly. No, the other players weren't amused either.

Though it did lead to this fantastic exchange:

Vegeta: I would like to purchase your lute for 100 gold.
Rictavio: ...Sure, okay. If you want it that bad.
Martiln (cleric player): 100 gold? It's a lute! Why do you even need a lute?
Vegeta: Vegeta has no need for money!
Martiln: But Vegeta has need of a lute?!

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 01:28 PM
That... actually sounds like a good excuse for the style. In fact, is it ok if I borrow that reason?

But still, I do wonder about that friend of yours who decided he'd do something like that in a horror themed game. Hrmm...

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 01:32 PM
That... actually sounds like a good excuse for the style. In fact, is it ok if I borrow that reason?

Aren't people with lighter eye colors (including green) more likely to be sensitive to light anyway? I have grey eyes and I absolutely cannot see outside without sunglasses when it is sunny.

Through I thought she was doing it because she was clearly a foreigner that could be spotted as a wandering member of nobility.

Naez
2017-06-04, 01:38 PM
Generally I'd say you can describe your character however you like but that doesn't mean it's not gonna have consequences. An Half-Orc in a campaign through an elven country is probably gonna have a bow pointed at him 24/7 just waiting for him to give them an excuse, that's if they don't kill him on sight. In your case I'd say people would be weirded out by a ridiculous hairstyle, and may distrust you since they can't look you in the eye, which is a major part of social interaction in humanoids.

hymer
2017-06-04, 01:40 PM
Aren't people with lighter eye colors (including green) more likely to be sensitive to light anyway?

I'm given to understand that the darker eye colours have more pigment than the lighter ones, which helps protect the eyes from the ultraviolet rays from the sun. But light sensitivity in general is a different thing, and usually indicative of an underlying condition. Talk to your GP if in doubt.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 01:44 PM
Hmm... well that reason for not wanting to be spotted and donning that hairstyle was a bit shaky anyways, I guess. I did give her dark green eyes if I remember correctly, so this could factor into her sensitive eyes and her styling her hair for this.

I am already a bit concerned about people's opinion of her anyways. She has low charisma anyways, so people might be distrusting of me anyways.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 01:49 PM
Hmm... well that reason for not wanting to be spotted and donning that hairstyle was a bit shaky anyways, I guess. I did give her dark green eyes if I remember correctly, so this could factor into her sensitive eyes and her styling her hair for this.

I think light green would make more sense, given light colors are sensitive. (And yes, if you are sensitive to light you should ask your GP in case it is a sign of something. But mine just said it was due to my eye color since both traits run in the family. If it helps, I'm so white that my ancestors were likely bottles of Liquid Paper. But talk to a doctor before assuming.)

I am already a bit concerned about people's opinion of her anyways. She has low charisma anyways, so people might be distrusting of me anyways.

What if the hair style wasn't intentional? Something could have happened to rip off or cut her hair. You did say she was used to a more lavish hair style, so what if she cut off her hair to get away from someone who grabbed it? (I am not sure if it is the right period of time, but I am pretty sure long hair is often associated with nobility in various regions). It's not like she can go to hair stylist to fix that, and she feels even worse for leaving her previous life style because now she looks like an idiot who sticks out like a sore thumb.

Laserlight
2017-06-04, 02:00 PM
As a DM, generally if what the player asks for is cosmetic only--no mechanical bonus --then I approve. Except for that one player who tends to try to use fluff as the tip of the crowbar to wedge in some advantage.

If you munchkin, you get a No.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-04, 02:22 PM

But still, I do wonder about that friend of yours who decided he'd do something like that in a horror themed game. Hrmm...

Of course, go for it!

This same player has a history of using anime/pop culture characters, then roleplaying them miserably. Like he forgets he's doing it unless it annoys the party.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 02:33 PM
So uh, for reference Honest Tiefling, here is my character, drawn by somebody who did an illustration of my character I've been trying to make over the past month. Check out his other works if you want on the Reddit. (Besides, I have to give him credit, he is the artist, after all!)

http://imgur.com/QvKzkZK
https://www.reddit.com/user/hdrichard

As for the hair being cut, she did it herself. She had rather long hair when she was with her hopeless father, but when she went away, she cut it when she got the chance. As for why it is in her face now... well, you got me there, I just thought I'd go for it. I'll say she just grew her bangs out particularly in front just to keep the sun out.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 02:35 PM
Ah. That looks far more intentional then the other picture. I quite like it the artwork.

So why did she cut her hair? No, I don't actually think you need to go into this much detail for a DM, but I'm asking for curiosity's sake.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 02:39 PM
Eh, I thought it would be to keep from having to do too much maintenance for long hair, in my opinion

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 02:41 PM
Eh, I thought it would be to keep from having to do too much maintenance for long hair, in my opinion

Valid reason, and it could have grown longer because she hasn't gotten around to cutting it yet. Sounds pretty logical, she's hygienic, but not the type to obsess over looks.

Sigreid
2017-06-04, 02:49 PM
You're over thinking this. As a DM I care not what you want you're character to look like as long as you can describe it.

CrackedChair
2017-06-04, 02:51 PM
Yeah, that is true. Hairstyles like this in the real world might be off, but in DND, they seriously are not the weirdest thing.

That'd be the various abberations, wild magic that can turn you into a potted plant, and the mere concept of Owlbears.

BestPlayer
2017-06-05, 11:56 AM
I haven't come across a dm yet who cared at all what the player characters hair looked like and I've had some weird hairstyles and colors.

Beelzebubba
2017-06-05, 02:22 PM
I'm with someone else...

"If a player asks permission for their character to have a certain haircut I'm bracing for all sorts of weirdness at the table."

:D