PDA

View Full Version : What skill would it be to hide something on your person?

Thrasher92
2017-06-04, 11:37 AM
Basically as the title says. You know you are about to be searched before you enter a location and would like to hide something on your person. What skill roll would be necessary?

Pickpocket? You are knowledgeable about where to look in clothing for something

Sleight of Hand? Normally used for something closer to a shell game but very possible to be used here.

Stealth? You are trying to hide something after all

Just Straight Dexterity or Intelligence?

Now, what is the skill used against this to find the item? Perception or Investigation?

What do you guys think?

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-04, 11:41 AM
Sleight of hand, it's even specifically cited as one of the uses of the skill in the PHB.

Findulidas
2017-06-04, 11:42 AM
Whenever you attempt an act of legerdemain or manual triekery, such as planting something on someone else or concealing an object on your person, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check. p.177 PHB

Puh Laden
2017-06-04, 11:48 AM
There is no pickpocket skill. Someone proficient in the sleight if hand skill could definitely add their proficiebcy bonus to Dexterity checks made to pickpockets. Sleight of hand proficiency could also grant proficiecy to Dexterity checks made to conceal objects on your person.

Falcon X
2017-06-04, 01:17 PM
Sleight of hand using Intelligence or Wisdom instead of Dexterity.

It may be the same thought process you are using for sleight of hand, but you have plenty of time to pick a place to hide the object and it will require little dexterity to pull off.

nickl_2000
2017-06-04, 01:19 PM

It may be the same skill set you are using, but you have plenty of time to pick a place to hide the object and it will require little dexterity to pull off.

Sure assuming you are playing with variant skill rolls. Normally it would be a sleight of hand dex, but this makes sense too (or at least as much sense as using strength vs charisma for an intimidation check)

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 01:20 PM

I agree 100% on the skill, but not the ability. I feel like Intelligence for this use is best for when the character is planning ahead and designing/picking out clothes and other gear to quickly hide certain objects in them.

But I will always feel like Dexterity is for when the character goes 'Oh ****!' and hides something on themselves in a hurry because they need to be quick and need to move in certain ways as to not reveal the object in question.

Falcon X
2017-06-04, 01:47 PM
I agree 100% on the skill, but not the ability. I feel like Intelligence for this use is best for when the character is planning ahead and designing/picking out clothes and other gear to quickly hide certain objects in them.

But I will always feel like Dexterity is for when the character goes 'Oh ****!' and hides something on themselves in a hurry because they need to be quick and need to move in certain ways as to not reveal the object in question.

Yeah, your first example was what I thought OP was describing. Like if tomorrow I was going to smuggle something across the border.
If it has to be on the fly, then it's DEX (maybe wis).

Arcangel4774
2017-06-04, 01:49 PM
I might allow dexterity (deception) for the sake of moving your body in such a way that that you hide what's there.

imanidiot
2017-06-05, 02:51 AM
Basically as the title says. You know you are about to be searched before you enter a location and would like to hide something on your person. What skill roll would be necessary?

Pickpocket? You are knowledgeable about where to look in clothing for something

Sleight of Hand? Normally used for something closer to a shell game but very possible to be used here.

Stealth? You are trying to hide something after all

Just Straight Dexterity or Intelligence?

Now, what is the skill used against this to find the item? Perception or Investigation?

What do you guys think?

Depends on how you go about hiding it. I could see Sleight of Hand (palming a small item), Stealth (keeping the item under clothing or blocked by your body), or Deception (distracting the target's attention) working.