PDA

View Full Version : I think I know why Durkons hammer cut the squid!

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-03, 11:29 AM
Theres a secret sickle imbeded in the hammer. The blade edge was poking out and thats what cut the squid. the reason theres a sickle in the hammer? Durkon is secretly a communist.

edit. its not a squid its an octopus. i dont even know why i put squid. my brain is only half working.

Oberon
2007-08-03, 11:32 AM
I think the hammer cut the tentacle because it did enough damage, regardless of the damage type.

Whoops, I think I just murdered this thread's humor.

Gundato
2007-08-03, 11:35 AM
It is obvious that he used a house-rule that allows him to use his weapon to perform slashing damage by striking at an angle. Either that or it was just a joke.

Bubbles
2007-08-03, 11:50 AM
or maybe the really, really, really big fiendish cephalopod is just a littlebrittle in places so it busts open when hit just right...

...like a piñata!

And it's filled with sweet, sugary goodness...

...like a piñata!

Only instead of it being filled with candies it's fillled with the syurpy green goo, which is probably high-fructose corn syrup with a little food dye.

Scarab83
2007-08-03, 11:53 AM
Supposedly, giant squid are supposed to smell strongly of ammonia. I wonder if the same is true for giant octopi.

Twilight Jack
2007-08-03, 12:01 PM
You folks are ignoring the obvious. The SRD entry on the Giant Octopus allows characters to attack tentacles with a Sunder attempt.

An opponent can attack a giant octopus’s tentacles with a sunder attempt as if they were weapons. A giant octopus’s tentacles have 10 hit points each. If a giant octopus is currently grappling a target with the tentacle that is being attacked, it usually uses another limb to make its attack of opportunity against the opponent making the sunder attempt. Severing one of a giant octopus’s tentacles deals 5 points of damage to the creature. A giant octopus usually withdraws from combat if it loses four tentacles. The creature regrows severed limbs in 1d10+10 days.

Note that it specifically says that a Sundered tentacle is severed, with no information on the type of damage that needs to be dealt. Hence, by the rules, Durkon's hammer would cut through the tentacle.

Slibs
2007-08-03, 12:04 PM
Or it could be the same reason as Belkar suddenly learning Evasion....someone is looking out for the surviving OOTS members

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-03, 12:17 PM
I like the idea of Durkon being a communist.
But we can't discuss politics here, so, you are lucky.
I was about to reveal great secrets that would kill your brain foreva.

Scarab83
2007-08-03, 12:17 PM
Or it could be the same reason as Belkar suddenly learning Evasion....someone is looking out for the surviving OOTS members

I must have missed that unfounded, hairbrained theory when it first came out.

Gundato
2007-08-03, 12:20 PM
Rogue, you may want to flip your sig. Right now it kind of kills the joke, since people read left to right.

And while I still argue that it was just a frigging joke, Slibs actually DOES propose an interesting theory. A few more of these seemingly random jokes, and I might be a believer.

twofry
2007-08-03, 12:20 PM
I think the hammer cut the tentacle because it did enough damage, regardless of the damage type.

Whoops, I think I just murdered this thread's humor.

to continue my part in this, there are actual reports from the middle ages of knights inflicting so much damage with a warhammer that the head was removed from the body... maybe the same thing applies

PaladinFreak
2007-08-03, 12:38 PM
Actually, since the the hammer is done in 2d, it has no thickness and can cut through anything!

ufo
2007-08-03, 12:42 PM
Actually, since the the hammer is done in 2d, it has no thickness and can cut through anything!

I would say something similar. Since the comic is in 2d, no body can tell if the hammer is sharp, or if swords are blunt.

Mant
2007-08-03, 12:53 PM

Judging by this topic, i doubt that could happen a second time.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-03, 12:53 PM
At the risk of a few catgirls, I have to relay this tale:

Caution: potentially graphic. Spoilered for your protection

In a case of domestic abuse going right, drunken step-father attempts to attacks mother and daughter. Daughter is a D&D geek, and has a few melee weapons in her house for proper atmosphere. Step-dad tries to force the front door open, pistol in his hand. Daughter swings a mace down to knock the gun out of step-dad's hand, but scores a critical: Gun is smashed, three fingers are completely removed from his gun hand, and the mace continues down into the thigh, shattering the thight bone to the point the doctors have to amputate. Self defence is invoked, and dear old step-dad is served divorce papers in the slammer.

So yes, a hammer can cause enough crushing damage to remove a limb.

ag30476
2007-08-03, 12:58 PM

But all dwarves are communists.

Oberon
2007-08-03, 01:09 PM
Rogue, you may want to flip your sig. Right now it kind of kills the joke, since people read left to right.

But the the smilies wouldn't face each other!:roy: :haley: Maybe she could just make the Haley smiley lower or have Ro'ys speech directly over Haley's

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-03, 01:19 PM
But the the smilies wouldn't face each other!:roy: :haley: Maybe she could just make the Haley smiley lower or have Ro'ys speech directly over Haley's

That's exactly my thought. Is it better now?

I know... but why? I can feel this is true, but why?

ag30476
2007-08-03, 01:27 PM
I know... but why? I can feel this is true, but why?
Lawful Good one-party, martial/industrial society where everyone works and the males and females are equal.

Halflings are democratic, elves are feudalistic, hobos are fascists, etc

Plus I can't help reading your sig with Roy saying "y'know, Type O (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html) treasure
isn't really that important."

RAGE KING!
2007-08-03, 01:31 PM
maybe durkons hammer was wide enough to smash through a taut octopus's tentacle.

Rogue could make the sig into an image and swap roy and haley's faces, then flip them....

Slibs
2007-08-03, 01:36 PM
I must have missed that unfounded, hairbrained theory when it first came out.

Just a recent musing in my own bald hyper intelligent brain, memos will be out later.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-03, 02:31 PM

Im afraid my brain is long gone. The day I realised Waldo was on the run from the law was a sad day for us all. Also I'm the thread isn't about how the tentacle was cut. it was about why Durkon has a scottish accent instead of a russian one. Hes a commie I tells ya.

Scarab83
2007-08-03, 03:02 PM

Quit picking on the homeless. Those poor hobos..

T.Titan
2007-08-03, 03:25 PM
Lawful Good one-party, martial/industrial society where everyone works and the males and females are equal.

QFT... and remember them putting the good of the community over the individual. Of course they still have private property, so they're not at the final stage of communism yet....

chibibar
2007-08-03, 03:36 PM
Aside from the spoiler tag on one of the real life events regarding a mace. The squid doesn't have a skeleton it has exoskeleton (I think that is right) so if you hit it hard enough it will "sever" in a way.

Take a carrot and smash it with a hammer. It will be sever in half, just not as pretty or clean cut :)

Demented
2007-08-03, 03:47 PM
It looked more like Durkon's hammer splatted through the tentacle. Apparently he swung it at supersonic speeds.

Ithekro
2007-08-03, 03:51 PM
Are fiendish creatures more damage prone to holy ancestral weapons? Also dwarven weapons are suppose to be superior quality for their metalwork. That's not to say that a hammer should cut through anything, but could a holy weapon say disintegrate fiendish flesh?

David Demola
2007-08-03, 08:27 PM
or maybe the really, really, really big fiendish cephalopod is just a littlebrittle in places so it busts open when hit just right...

...like a piñata!

And it's filled with sweet, sugary goodness...

...like a piñata!

Only instead of it being filled with candies it's fillled with the syurpy green goo, which is probably high-fructose corn syrup with a little food dye.

like a piñata!

Spiky
2007-08-03, 11:09 PM
Plus I can't help reading your sig with Roy saying "y'know, Type O (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0408.html) treasure

Don't EVER say that to me again!! :smallmad:

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-04, 02:07 AM
Riiiiight, Durkon's a communist with a sickle in his hammer. I'll get back to you on that one...

Nu
2007-08-04, 02:09 AM

I'm still pretty sure Belkar has had evasion for a while, he just forgot about it. He can be seen darting out of the way of the black dragon's breath attack as far back as the wooden forest arc, which clearly would've required evasion. Though I'm sure this has been brought up before.

Nomadic
2007-08-04, 04:01 AM

Democratic halflings?!?! I sure hope Belkar never gets elected :smalleek:

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-04, 04:19 AM
At the risk of a few catgirls, I have to relay this tale:

Caution: potentially graphic. Spoilered for your protection

In a case of domestic abuse going right, drunken step-father attempts to attacks mother and daughter. Daughter is a D&D geek, and has a few melee weapons in her house for proper atmosphere. Step-dad tries to force the front door open, pistol in his hand. Daughter swings a mace down to knock the gun out of step-dad's hand, but scores a critical: Gun is smashed, three fingers are completely removed from his gun hand, and the mace continues down into the thigh, shattering the thight bone to the point the doctors have to amputate. Self defence is invoked, and dear old step-dad is served divorce papers in the slammer.

So yes, a hammer can cause enough crushing damage to remove a limb.

Um, was that a purely hypothetical scenario or did it really happen?

Ahem, on topic... what if the squid had already been struck by a fire/lightning/acid spell--- off-camera, of course--- and the dermatological elasticity of the tentacle had been dried out so much so that it became brittle enough to be broken by a bludgeon?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-08-04, 05:57 AM

I think that was another 3.5 conversion joke myself.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-04, 06:14 AM
Ok guys, I think my sig is obvious and needs no further discussion..

About the topic: I agree with the idea of 2d=no thickness.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-04, 06:32 AM
Stop talking about the dam tentacle! Nobody cares how it got cut. politics aren't allowed

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-04, 06:46 AM
Um, was that a purely hypothetical scenario or did it really happen?

Ahem, on topic... what if the squid had already been struck by a fire/lightning/acid spell--- off-camera, of course--- and the dermatological elasticity of the tentacle had been dried out so much so that it became brittle enough to be broken by a bludgeon?

As far as I know, it really happened.

Charles Phipps
2007-08-04, 07:46 AM
The Squid is an illusion!

BisectedBrioche
2007-08-04, 07:52 AM

I though communists didn't believe in gods though ¬_¬

Emperor Ing
2007-08-04, 08:02 AM

I dont kno were its been established that communists are essentially atheists, but I do know Nazis are. :smallyuk:

Oh wait, communists see the government as their gods. so essentially, theyre...governmentologists?

ag30476
2007-08-04, 08:27 AM
Democratic halflings?!?! I sure hope Belkar never gets elected :smalleek:

Yes even Belkar is a democrat ... last panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html)

ag30476
2007-08-04, 08:29 AM

Yes but if you don't believe in gods, you can't get healed, not in D&D.

ag30476
2007-08-04, 08:32 AM
Ok guys, I think my sig is obvious and needs no further discussion...

You're right. We should start a whole seperate thred on your sig.

About the topic: I agree with the idea of 2d=no thickness.

Ok but Twilight Jack had the obivious answer to the topic question...here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2977960#post2977960)

ag30476
2007-08-04, 08:36 AM
I dont kno were its been established that communists are essentially atheists, but I do know Nazis are. :smallyuk:

It never fails...

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-04, 11:13 AM
Stop talking about the dam tentacle! Nobody cares how it got cut. We're supposed to be talking about when George Bush will read this and declare war on the dwarves.

Just imagine someone of the outside world reading this.
Surrealism!!!:smallamused:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-04, 02:53 PM

Theres an outside world? I figured you guys were just members of that wierd clt that lives in my basement and has seizures when exposed to natural light.

Demented
2007-08-04, 03:30 PM

"We must defea the dwarves."
"We are the dwarves."
"Oh."

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-05, 08:27 AM
Theres an outside world? I figured you guys were just members of that wierd clt that lives in my basement and has seizures when exposed to natural light.
Yes, master. We are, Sir.

"We must defea the dwarves."
"We are the dwarves."
"Oh."

That's not surrealism but the nasty reality

Greyhame
2007-08-05, 09:36 AM
Here's the obvious answer -

The Giant was once again trying to point out the absurdity of a rule in the system which allows a Sunder attack to sever anything! Sunder being a blunt trauma, crushing-type damage and severing being a cutting trauma, slashing-type attack.

A simple heads-up about a simple fluke in the rules. You conspiracy theorits! *LOL*

abadguy
2007-08-05, 09:52 AM
That's exactly my thought. Is it better now?

Here you go!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/abadguy/rogue_sig.jpg

Strengfellow
2007-08-05, 10:07 AM
So to recap Durkon is a communist, how?

It's the same way that Sean Connery can be a communist and have a scotish accent.

Because he lives in Bahamas.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-05, 01:19 PM
So to recap Durkon is a communist, how?

It's the same way that Sean Connery can be a communist and have a scotish accent.

Because he lives in Bahamas.

I wanted a russian Durkon. However now you've said that I'm sending this to george bush. He'll then be told Sean Connery is James Bond an will declare war on England. Heh those stupid English will never see it coming. Hang on. I live in England. Dammit!

deworde
2007-08-05, 01:38 PM
Here's the obvious answer -

The Giant was once again trying to point out the absurdity of a rule in the system which allows a Sunder attack to sever anything! Sunder being a blunt trauma, crushing-type damage and severing being a cutting trauma, slashing-type attack.

A simple heads-up about a simple fluke in the rules. You conspiracy theorits! *LOL*

Or...
The tentacle contains bubbles of air/blood/goo. By hitting it, Durkon compressed a bubble until it ruptured. The tentacle, weakened by this rupture, was torn apart by its own reflexive spasm from the pain.
Ah, the insanity...