PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Class/Sub-Class Upgrades

2017-06-04, 01:55 PM
A word up-front: this fighter class, and the sub-classes I'm putting together for it, are part of a massive personal project where I'm ramping up the power and versatility, making more options and capabilities for most classes. At times, these remixes will reference rules changes I made over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526311-Remixes-Of-Existing-Mechanics) to flanking, two-weapon fighting, grappling, and shoving.

Level
Proficiency
Features

+2
Fighting Style, Second Wind (1)

+2
Technique, Indomitable (1)

+2
Martial Archetype Feature

+2
Ability Score Increase

+3
Extra Attack 1

+3
Ability Score Increase

+3
Martial Archetype Feature, Second Wind (2)

+3
Ability Score Increase

+4
Technique, Indomitable (2)

+4

+4
Extra Attack 2

+4
Ability Score Increase

+5
Second Wind (3), Indomitable (3)

+5
Ability Score Increase

+5
Martial Archetype Feature, Technique

+5
Ability Score Increase

+6
Extra Attack 3

+6

+6
Ability Score Increase

+6
Harbinger Of War

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d10 per Fighter level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 10 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d10 (or 6) + your Constitution modifier

Proficiencies
Armor: All armor and shields
Weapons: All simple and martial weapons
Saving Throws: Sterngth and Constitution
Skills: Choose two from Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Athletics, History, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, and Survival

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

(a) chain mail or (b) leather armor, longbow, and 20 arrows
(a) a martial weapon and a shield or (b) two martial weapons
(a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) two handaxes
(a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack

Class Features
As a fighter, you gain the following class features.

Fighting Style
You adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose one of these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526360-Fighting-Style-Upgrades-Remixes-Homebrew) options. You can't take a Fighting Style option more than once, even if you later get to choose again.

Second Wind

On your turn, you can spend a Bonus action to heal hit points as if you had spent a Hit Die (although you do not actually need to spend a Hit Die to use this ability); additionally, you add your Fighter class level to the hit points regained. Any healing above and beyond your hit point maximum is turned into Temporary Hit Points. You regain uses of this ability when you complete a long rest. You gain an additional use of this ability per long rest when you attain 7th level and 13th level.

Technique

At 2nd level, 9th level, and 15th level, you may select one of the following options, reflecting a lesser aspect of your personal style. You cannot take a Technique option more than once.

Land Speed +10 feet
AC +1
Gain proficiency in a tool or Fighter class skill of your choice
Gain half proficiency (rounded up) to two skills or tools of your choice
Weapons you wield have their damage stepped up one die size
You have resistance to a damage type of your choice other than slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning

Indomitable

Starting at 2nd level, when you fail a saving throw, you can spend a use of this ability to automatically save against the triggering effect. Using this ability does not cost any action, but can only be done once per round. Uses of this ability are regained after a long rest. You gain an additional use of this ability at 9th level and 13th level.

Martial Archetype

At 3rd level, select a Martial Archetype from the options detailed below (Note: NOT ALL ARCHETYPES ARE DONE YET, I WANTED TO GET THIS UP REAL QUICK FIRST). You gain Martial Archetype features at 3rd level, 7th level, 10th level, 15th level, and 18th level.

Extra Attack

Starting at 5th level, when you take the Attack action, you can make an additional attack. You gain another additional attack at 11th level, and another at 17th level.

Harbinger Of War

You now recover Second Wind uses and Indomitable uses on a short rest.Archetypes

Your ancestry is filled with mighty heroes and warriors from across the ages! And apparently, it's also full of bear DNA. Hmm...

Level 3: Bearer Of Bad News

Wherever you go, danger (in the form of bears) is sure to follow. As an action, you can summon forth a number of bears within 120 feet (of a mix of whatever bears you wish to summon) such that they constitute an encounter of a CR equal to half your Fighter level (rounded down). These bears are friendly to you and your allies, and disappear after one minute or after dying, whichever comes first. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it against until you have taken a long rest.

Level 7: For The Honor Of My Forebears

You call upon the ursome power of your heritage to power through tricksy magicks that would ensnare your mind. When you would be called upon to make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma saving throw, you can choose to make a Strength saving throw instead. You may do this a number of times per long rest equal to your Constitution modifier.

Level 10: Living Bearier

It may very well be easier to break through a wall than through a bear of a person like you. When you gain this feature, you gain a number of hit points equal to your current Fighter level; every time you gain a new Fighter level, you gain an additional hit point on top of what you would normally gain.

Whenever you would be Shoved, you can reduce the distance you are forcibly moved by 10 feet, to a minimum of 0 feet.

Level 15: Barbearian

You fight with the ferocity and savagery of some unspecified large mammalian predator. A number of times per long rest equal to your Constitution modifier, you may fly into a fearsome rage as a bonus action, granting you a bonus to damage rolls equal to your proficiency bonus, and advantage on Strength checks. This rage ends if you end your turn without having attacked a foe, without having taken any damage, or if a minute has gone by since you activated it.

Level 18: Right to Bear Arms

You have become one with the bear within you. You sprout thick, coarse hair all over your body, your teeth and nails sharpen, and your muscles grow thick and hefty. Your Strength score, and your Strength score maximum, increase by 2. Your Constitution score, and your Constitution score maximum, increase by 2.

You are a versatile master of your chosen style, a physical paragon. You are the standard against which all other fighters are measured.

Level 3: Improved Critical

You score a critical hit on a natural 19 or 20 on the die. Additionally, when you score a critical hit, you deal additional damage equal to your proficiency bonus.

Level 7: Remarkable Athlete

Whenever you roll a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check without proficiency, you may add half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) to the result. Additionally, a number of times per short rest equal to your Constitution modifier, you may retry a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you just attempted before suffering consequences of the first roll.

Level 10: Versatile Warrior

You gain another Fighting Style.

You gain another Technique.

Level 15: Superior Critical

You score a critical hit on a natural 18, 19, or 20 on the die. Additionally, when you score a critical hit, you deal additional damage equal to either your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice when this feature is gained).

Level 18: Survivor

You have attained the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don't gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

Your defenses are unparalleled, even among warriors of equal measure.

Level 3: Determination

You gain an additional use of Second Wind and Indomitable.

Level 7: Unbreakable

Whenever you use your Second Wind class feature, you also gain Temporary Hit Points equal to the amount your Second Wind healed you.

Level 10: Unstoppable

You may select a second Fighting style from the following list: Brawler, Defense, Great Weapon, Mobility, Resilient, or Shock Trooper.

Whenever you Shove a target, you may increase the distance they are pushed by 10 feet, or the distance they are slid by 5 feet. Whenever you are Shoved, you may decrease the distance you are pushed by 10 feet, or the distance you are slid by 5 feet.

Level 15: Invulnerable

Whenever you take damage from any source, you can reduce the damage taken by your Constitution modifier.

Level 18: Immortal

When you are reduced to 0 hit points, you may spend a Hit Die as a reaction.

You are an inspiration to your allies and a threat to your enemies.

Rallying Cry

When you spend a Second Wind, you can choose to only gain half the normal amount of healing (rounded down). In exchange, an ally within 60 feet who can see or hear you is healed the amount your Second Wind would normally heal you.

Level 7: Lead From The Front

You have advantage on initiative rolls. Additionally, when you give others a bonus due to the Distracted Opponent rules, increase the bonus you grant by +1. This does not bypass the maximum limit on such bonuses, though.

Level 10: Commander's Presence

A number of times per short rest equal to your Charisma modifier, you may cause a creature within 60 feet who can see or hear you to reroll an attack roll or saving throw they just made by spending a reaction.

Level 15: Martyr

When you use your Rallying Cry, you can select a second ally to receive the full Second Wind healing if you give up the remaining half of your own healing.

Level 18: Legendary Leadership

Any ally affected by your Rallying Cry or Commander's Presence gains a bonus to saving throws and damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier until the end of your next turn. Any enemy affected by your Commander's Presence takes a penalty to all attack and damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier until the end of your next turn.

You are a flurry of motion on the battlefield, striking with a speed and ferocity few warriors can match.

Level 3: Follow-Up Strike

You're quick to capitalize on any advantage in a fight, striking swiftly when opportunity strikes. Whenever you score a critical hit or reduce a foe to 0 HP with a non-Heavy melee weapon, you may spend a reaction to make a Follow-Up Strike: when you do so, you may move up to (5 times your proficiency bonus) feet without expending any movement for this turn (although this movement provokes Opportunity Attacks as normal), and then make an additional attack using the same weapon.

Level 3: Lightning Fast

You blur around the fight faster than most anyone else. Your speed increases by 5 feet. At level 10 and level 18, your speed increases by an additional 5 feet.

Level 7: Dervish Dance

You dance with death across the battlefield, weaving in between foes and striking amidst the confusion. A number of times per long rest equal to your Dexterity bonus, you can perform a Dervish Dance: until the beginning of your next turn, whenever you roll an attack, you may treat every previous attack you've made this turn as if it was an additional ally adjacent to your target for the purposes of the Distracted Opponent mechanic.

Level 10: Living Whirlwind

You may select a second Fighting style from the following list: Dervish, Dueling, Mobility, Opportunist, Reactive, Or Two-Weapon Fighting.

Level 15: Tireless Dance

You now regain one use of Dervish Dance whenever you take a short rest, if you do not have all uses currently available.

Level 18: Dance of A Thousand Cuts

When performing a Dervish Dance, you can choose to gain an additional Action this turn, which can only be used to take the Attack action. Once this ability has been used, you may not use it again until you have completed a short or long rest.

JNAProductions
2017-06-04, 01:58 PM
Harbinger of War seems... Off, to me. In the same way Bardic Inspiration, once you get their capstone, is usable basically at-will out of combat, so too becomes Second Wind. Which effectively means you can always add +20 to your hit dice rolls. Perhaps make them recharge on a short rest instead?

2017-06-04, 02:00 PM
Harbinger of War seems... Off, to me. In the same way Bardic Inspiration, once you get their capstone, is usable basically at-will out of combat, so too becomes Second Wind. Which effectively means you can always add +20 to your hit dice rolls. Perhaps make them recharge on a short rest instead?

Hmm...short rest recovery with 4 uses makes them a lot more common than I think is appropriate, particularly in regards to Indomitable. Maybe short rest, but without the lvl 20 extra use? So 3 uses each, but recoverable on a short rest at 20th?

Anything else look weird?

JNAProductions
2017-06-04, 02:02 PM
Hmm...short rest recovery with 4 uses makes them a lot more common than I think is appropriate, particularly in regards to Indomitable. Maybe short rest, but without the lvl 20 extra use? So 3 uses each, but recoverable on a short rest at 20th?

Anything else look weird?

It's missing subclasses. :P

Nope. Definitely an upgrade compared to the base Fighter, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's small enough (pending subclasses, of course) to be used with regular classes.

2017-06-04, 02:04 PM
It's missing subclasses. :P

Nope. Definitely an upgrade compared to the base Fighter, but honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's small enough (pending subclasses, of course) to be used with regular classes.

I mean...for what it's worth, it can be used with the normal subclasses, and it gives up Action Surge...but the stuff it gets is nice too.

JNAProductions
2017-06-04, 02:08 PM
I mean...for what it's worth, it can be used with the normal subclasses, and it gives up Action Surge...but the stuff it gets is nice too.

Ooh, I didn't notice losing Action Surge.

That being said, it gets a good amount more staying power, with more Second Wind and Indomitable, and Extra Attack (3) three levels earlier.

It makes it less dip friendly, which is a good thing, I think.

Also, you don't have saving throws listed.

2017-06-04, 02:11 PM
Ooh, I didn't notice losing Action Surge.

That being said, it gets a good amount more staying power, with more Second Wind and Indomitable, and Extra Attack (3) three levels earlier.

It makes it less dip friendly, which is a good thing, I think.

Also, you don't have saving throws listed.

Mhm. Got rid of Action Surge, but gave them Techniques and upgraded Indomitable. Second Wind is more common in the later levels, but it uses your Hit Dice now. Overall, it's roughly equivalent, I think, so it's usable with existing archetypes without being too much, but I'm probably going to upgrade archetypes as well.

Ziegander
2017-06-04, 04:12 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this version of Second Wind is nearly strictly a downgrade? The published version recharges on a short rest from level 1. So you're using it two or three or four times a day from level one. This version gets Con modifier added to the healing, nice, and at 20th level it can Second Wind six, nine, or twelve times a day, sure, but now it also costs you Hit Dice. For levels 1 to 19 the published version is better in almost every conceivable way.

If you really want it to be an upgrade I might write it more like this:

You may spend 1 Hit Die as a bonus action on your turn. Furthermore, at the end of any short rest you regain half of your expended Hit Dice (rounded up), and at the end of any long rest you regain them all.

Now that's very powerful and unquestionably an upgrade past 1st level, but maybe that does a little too much to make the Fighter indestructible.

Surrealistik
2017-06-04, 04:34 PM
I'd revise Second Wind like this:

You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. You can also spend Hit Dice up to half of your Fighter level to regain additional hit points as if you completed a short rest.

The amount of hit points regained increases by +1d10 for every third Fighter level beyond the first.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Without expending Hit Dice this recovers hit points normalized as follows over a typical 2-3 combats per short rest:

Level 1: 2.16 (3 combats)| 3.25 (2 combats) | Total HP Restored / Second Wind: 6.5
Level 5: 5.33 | 8 | Total HP Restored / Second Wind: 16
Level 11: 11 | 16.5 | Total HP Restored / Second Wind: 33
Level 15: 14.16 | 21.25 | Total HP Restored / Second Wind: 42.48
Level 20: 19.5 | 29.25 | Total HP Restored / Second Wind: 58.5

Makes it scale to the point of remaining relevant without making it overpowered.

2017-06-04, 04:46 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this version of Second Wind is nearly strictly a downgrade? The published version recharges on a short rest from level 1. So you're using it two or three or four times a day from level one. This version gets Con modifier added to the healing, nice, and at 20th level it can Second Wind six, nine, or twelve times a day, sure, but now it also costs you Hit Dice. For levels 1 to 19 the published version is better in almost every conceivable way.

If you really want it to be an upgrade I might write it more like this:

You may spend 1 Hit Die as a bonus action on your turn. Furthermore, at the end of any short rest you regain half of your expended Hit Dice (rounded up), and at the end of any long rest you regain them all.

Now that's very powerful and unquestionably an upgrade past 1st level, but maybe that does a little too much to make the Fighter indestructible.

Second Wind, at least at lvl 1, is very intentionally a downgrade, to make up for how the Fighting Styles are universally an upgrade both in power and versatility. Still, I'll see what I can do about changing it up.

Christian
2017-06-04, 05:50 PM
This edition has needed something like that BaRA archetype since it was Beorn.

[Runs away.]

JNAProductions
2017-06-05, 01:56 PM
I hate the first archetype. Loath it. Wish it was destroyed in a fiery explosion.

The first ability... It's basically a +1 bonus, but I think it should be replaced. It's 1/4th the Barbarian CAPSTONE, and is also boring.

Second ability is fine. How does it combine with Indomitable, though? Is the reroll still a Strength save?

Third ability is fine... Ish. Do keep in mind you can now hit an AC of 24 (18+2+2+1+1) without magic items. And this is EASILY achievable by level 10, as opposed to a Barbarian, who has to wait for level 20 to achieve that.

The barbarian rip off seems okay, since it doesn't include resistance.

What do you mean by a CR equal to your level? Total CRs equal your level? Because if that's the case, a level 20 Fighter of this archetype can summon...

20 brown bears, or 40 black bears.

Even if you're fighting someone with an AC of 25 (so they need nat 20s to hit) 40 black bears is a LOT. Although considering space limitations, not good against a solo BBEG. But against hordes... Look, you have single target DPR. Wizards and other casters have AoE. You should not get an AoE like this.

Champion is fine. Not much changed, but upgraded slightly.

Unbreakable should not have THP stack. Otherwise good.

Invulnerable... I'm kinda iffy on. On the one hand, at high levels when you get it, most things deal much more than 5 points of damage. On the other hand, it makes you ridiculously resistant to hordes. Be aware of that, but I don't THINK it needs changes.

Immortal is good. I like.

2017-06-05, 09:46 PM
A QUICK NOTE BEFORE I REPLY TO RESPONSES: TWO NEW ARCHETYPES ARE UP. ADDITIONALLY, AFTER MUCH THOUGHT, I THINK THE CORE BATTLEMASTER AND ELDRITCH KNIGHT ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO NOT NEED UPGRADES TO BE USED WITH THESE CLASSES, SO THEY WON'T BE GETTING NEW VERSIONS BARRING A SIGNIFICANT ARGUMENT THAT THEY ARE UNDERPOWERED COMPARED TO THESE PRESENTED ARCHETYPES.

I hate the first archetype. Loath it. Wish it was destroyed in a fiery explosion.

The first ability... It's basically a +1 bonus, but I think it should be replaced. It's 1/4th the Barbarian CAPSTONE, and is also boring.

Second ability is fine. How does it combine with Indomitable, though? Is the reroll still a Strength save?

Third ability is fine... Ish. Do keep in mind you can now hit an AC of 24 (18+2+2+1+1) without magic items. And this is EASILY achievable by level 10, as opposed to a Barbarian, who has to wait for level 20 to achieve that.

The barbarian rip off seems okay, since it doesn't include resistance.

What do you mean by a CR equal to your level? Total CRs equal your level? Because if that's the case, a level 20 Fighter of this archetype can summon...

20 brown bears, or 40 black bears.

Even if you're fighting someone with an AC of 25 (so they need nat 20s to hit) 40 black bears is a LOT. Although considering space limitations, not good against a solo BBEG. But against hordes... Look, you have single target DPR. Wizards and other casters have AoE. You should not get an AoE like this.

Fighting Styles have been altered so that they all scale, and the +1 AC got taken away from this archetype, so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.

3rd lvl and 18th lvl ability have been altered, with changes to both to make them a bit more appropriate. The 18th lvl ability is still pretty derivative, but I've yet to get a good idea for something to replace it with.

Also, while the issue about the Str save matters for combining this archetype with the standard Fighter (in which case, I'd say the reroll is a Str save too), that's not an issue with this remix because Indomitable doesn't work that way here.

Champion is fine. Not much changed, but upgraded slightly.

Mhm. Slight upgrades, but I think they make the Champion more competitive with the other archetypes, while still leaving it a very versatile warrior that keeps up despite not having any real signature tricks.

Unbreakable should not have THP stack. Otherwise good.

Invulnerable... I'm kinda iffy on. On the one hand, at high levels when you get it, most things deal much more than 5 points of damage. On the other hand, it makes you ridiculously resistant to hordes. Be aware of that, but I don't THINK it needs changes.

Immortal is good. I like.

Changes, left alone but iffiness noted, and awesome to hear.

JNAProductions
2017-06-05, 09:55 PM
Slight changes to the existing archetypes seem good.

Legendary Leadership is the only iffy thing. -5 to all saves, with no save to prevent that? Way too easy to wombo-combo with, say, Hold Monster.

Dance Of A Thousand Cuts is worded badly. Do you get an extra Attack action, or an extra attack with your attack action?

2017-06-05, 10:06 PM
Legendary Leadership is the only iffy thing. -5 to all saves, with no save to prevent that? Way too easy to wombo-combo with, say, Hold Monster.

I wanna make sure that allies getting it as a bonus to saves and damage is okay. Beyond that...maybe instead of a damage penalty or a save penalty, it gives the enemy disadvantage on either attack rolls or saves this turn?

Dance Of A Thousand Cuts is worded badly. Do you get an extra Attack action, or an extra attack with your attack action?

You gain an additional action, which can only be used for the Attack action. I will reword things to make this more clear.

JNAProductions
2017-06-05, 10:07 PM
I wanna make sure that allies getting it as a bonus to saves and damage is okay. Beyond that...maybe instead of a damage penalty or a save penalty, it gives the enemy disadvantage on either attack rolls or saves this turn?

You gain an additional action, which can only be used for the Attack action. I will reword things to make this more clear.

Oh, yeah. I have no complaints with making your allies more awesome. I do have issues with making BBEGs piss easy to take down.

I would say it works as a Charisma Modifier penalty to attack and damage rolls. Don't touch their saves.

2017-06-05, 10:10 PM
Oh, yeah. I have no complaints with making your allies more awesome. I do have issues with making BBEGs piss easy to take down.

I would say it works as a Charisma Modifier penalty to attack and damage rolls. Don't touch their saves.

Alrighty, changes have been made.