PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Any one know all the Lore-Friendly, Canon Half Breeds of the Official Settings?

bunnynoah
2017-06-04, 08:11 PM
As the title states. Doesn't matter what setting or version, as long as it's official. Thank you!

TheCountAlucard
2017-06-05, 02:44 AM
As the title states. Doesn't matter what setting or version, as long as it's official. Thank you!Do you mean in the sense of canon characters, or canon templates and the like?

bunnynoah
2017-06-05, 03:54 PM
Do you mean in the sense of canon characters, or canon templates and the like?

I mean canon half-races and templates (Playable or not)

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-06, 01:57 AM
Which game and edition?

Does dragon magazine count as canon?

I think the canon position in d&d is pretty much that everything mixes with everything except maybe a few specific exceptions, like some types of outsiders that simply can't breed with mortals (and even then there is often some magical way to still get something similar).

The main problem is finding enough templates to actually build a 1/4 human werewolf 1/8 dragon 1/8 elf dhampir 1/32 minotaur etc etc. If dragon magazine counts, with its loads of completely unbalanced templates for 3.x, that part might just work.

Oh, and making it make sense as a creature is of course another matter. Even if you model everything from 1/4 down as a bloodline, you're going to be spending much of your level progression on your ancestral powers, which are going to seem amazingly random and not at all an actual organic mixture of the ancestral species.

bunnynoah
2017-06-06, 07:41 PM
Which game and edition?

I think the canon position in d&d is pretty much that everything mixes with everything except maybe a few specific exceptions, like some types of outsiders that simply can't breed with mortals (and even then there is often some magical way to still get something similar).

Then why do we only see Half-Elves and Half-Orcs? Why not Half-Dwarves or Dwelves? (Mul are a lie)

Bohandas
2017-06-06, 08:07 PM
Which game and edition?

I think it's more that outsiders and dragons can mix with everything

Darth Ultron
2017-06-06, 11:43 PM
As the title states. Doesn't matter what setting or version, as long as it's official. Thank you!

Well, guess you know about half elves, half orcs and half dragons, right? You can find some half giants, half trolls and half ogres.

Though mostly they just avoided muddying the water with the ''everything can be half of something else''

bunnynoah
2017-06-06, 11:52 PM
Though mostly they just avoided muddying the water with the ''everything can be half of something else''

I always thought there was a limit to what can mix with what.

But that's not the point. I mostly want a list of races that are talked about. My friend is being stubborn and says "Half-Gnoll don't exist! They' aren't in any of the guidebooks. Only canon races at my table." (Half-Gnoll do exist, if you were wondering, just not in playable form)

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-07, 12:14 AM
(Half-Gnoll do exist, if you were wondering, just not in playable form)

Is that even a thing in 3.5? I thought they had rules to make every monster playable? Sure, DM's can still not allow it, but they mostly do so because they smell cheese.

Apparently half gnolls are in a book called bastards and bloodlines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?100736-3-5-List-of-Half-Breeds). Is that were you found them?

bunnynoah
2017-06-07, 12:25 AM
Apparently half gnolls are in a book called bastards and bloodlines (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?100736-3-5-List-of-Half-Breeds). Is that were you found them?

Oh no, they were in a novel based in the Forgotten Realms called "Pool of Radiance".

Isn't Races of Renown non-canon because it's 3rd party?

AMFV
2017-06-07, 02:50 AM
Oh no, they were in a novel based in the Forgotten Realms called "Pool of Radiance".

Isn't Races of Renown non-canon because it's 3rd party?

Well "canon" doesn't really exist in terms of D&D. What is "Canon" in Forgotten Realms, is not "Canon" in Mystara for example. Canon is really more of a setting issue than a rules issue. For example in Dark Sun, Dwarves can crossbreed but we don't see that really in any other setting (to the best of my knowledge).

When you're talking about canon don't think about like a movie canon which is fairly rigid, this is like comic book canon, which is a complete and utter mess, and worse it's comic book canon before either publisher pared down their multiverse, so it could vary wildly depending on author, adventure, and what specific setting is being discussed.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-07, 03:11 AM
But if your DM means "core books and everything else by the official publisher, but no 3rd party or homebrew", than sure, this is not canon.

I hadn't really looked into it past finding that link (although now I did that book looks kinda cool).

AMFV
2017-06-07, 03:19 AM
But if your DM means "core books and everything else by the official publisher, but no 3rd party or homebrew", than sure, this is not canon.

I hadn't really looked into it past finding that link (although now I did that book looks kinda cool).

But even that's not a "canon" that's acceptable sources. And that doesn't necessarily mean that something does or doesn't exist in a particular setting. We're only talking rules support. Just because it's not in a book doesn't mean it can't exist in Mystara, or Forgotten Realms, or The World I Made Up Last Tuesday. That's the issue here, when it comes to D&D as just a ruleset canonicity isn't a valid concept to apply to it. You can talk about what's supported in the rules, that's an option, but there is no formal canon with the exclusion of what is discussed in various setting books. And furthermore that is even supposed to be modified at the discretion of the Dungeon Master.

So it's kind of not really meaningful to discuss canon without really talking about what specific setting you're aiming for. Hell Ghostwalk and Greyhawk have completely different canons. Even in Core Books Dark Sun has a different set of acceptable half-breeds than say Mystara does. And don't get me started on things like Birthright.

Bohandas
2017-06-07, 08:55 AM
Is that even a thing in 3.5? I thought they had rules to make every monster playable? Sure, DM's can still not allow it, but they mostly do so because they smell cheese.

Also, some things don't have a precalculated level adjustment and a lot of DMs don;t want to figure it out themselves

Psyren
2017-06-07, 09:37 AM
I think I'm having nightmares about how half-gnolls could be formed.

Add Half-Giants to the list from psi-land.

They're not exactly "half" but there are a number of other races that blend heritages, like Planetouched/Genasi, Tieflings, Aasimar, Changelings, and Dhampirs. There are also a wide variety of anthropomorphic animal races.

TheCountAlucard
2017-06-07, 10:08 AM
So this is D&D you're after?

bunnynoah
2017-06-07, 11:31 AM
I just wanted a list or something of half-breeds appearing in the D&D worlds (Doesn't matter what setting or version, as long as it's made and listed by WotC)

TheCountAlucard
2017-06-07, 05:46 PM
I just wish you'd said that back in the opening post.

Blackhawk748
2017-06-07, 05:48 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar have: Half Dwarves, Half Goblins, Half Gnolls, Half Gnomes, and a Orc/Elf half breed.

bunnynoah
2017-06-07, 06:23 PM
Kingdoms of Kalamar have: Half Dwarves, Half Goblins, Half Gnolls, Half Gnomes, and a Orc/Elf half breed.

I'm looking at the book right now and, besides the standard half-breeds, there is only Half-Hobgoblins... :smallbiggrin:

Which Kingdom of Kalamar are you talking about?

Blackhawk748
2017-06-07, 07:51 PM
I'm looking at the book right now and, besides the standard half-breeds, there is only Half-Hobgoblins... :smallbiggrin:

Which Kingdom of Kalamar are you talking about?

Knew i was forgetting someone, not sure how i forgot the Sil Karg, but w/e. Its in Dangerous Denizens. I missed a few others: Half Githzerai and Half Saytr, and they are all in the back.

bunnynoah
2017-06-07, 08:45 PM
Knew i was forgetting someone, not sure how i forgot the Sil Karg, but w/e. Its in Dangerous Denizens. I missed a few others: Half Githzerai and Half Saytr, and they are all in the back.

Oh, thank you so much!

Dappershire
2017-06-10, 03:39 AM
Dorks. Half Dwarf, Half Orc.
Its not cannon, but I want it to be. Can we get a Shakespearian romance tragedy story going?

Rombo: "Lo, what light through yonder battlefield, breaks? It is the East, and Jewelyette bringeths the pain."

Jewelyette: [Scraping entrails off her iron boot] "Oy, fook."

Rombo: "She speaks: O, speak again, dread Valkyrie! For thou art as glorious to this night, being o'er my head, as is a winged messenger of Grummsh, unto the white-upturned dead eyes of mortals that fall back to gaze on him. When he bestrides the flesh-eating steeds, and sails upon the seas of blood."

Jewelyette: O Rombo, Rombo! wherefore art thou Rombo? Deny thy honor and refuse mine blade; Or, thou overmuscled hellspawn, be but sworn my companion, and I'll no longer wear a beard. 'Tis but thy race that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not Dwarven. What's Dwarven? It is not skill in blade, nor bow; nor shout, nor sweat, nor any other part belonging to a man. O, be some other race! What's in a race? That which we call a forge, to build any other weapon would slay as sweet; So Rombo would, were he not Orcish call'd, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title. Rombo, doff thy tribe, and for that blood which is no part of thee; take all myself."

Rombo: [stepping from behind a pile of corpses] "I take thee at thy word: Call me but love, and I'll be new bapti-"

Jewelyette: "Ahhh! Attack!" [attacks]

Rombo: "The fu-?" [dies]

Blackhawk748
2017-06-10, 07:50 AM
Dorks. Half Dwarf, Half Orc.
Its not cannon, but I want it to be. Can we get a Shakespearian romance tragedy story going?

Rombo: "Lo, what light through yonder battlefield, breaks? It is the East, and Jewelyette bringeths the pain."

Jewelyette: [Scraping entrails off her iron boot] "Oy, fook."

Rombo: "She speaks: O, speak again, dread Valkyrie! For thou art as glorious to this night, being o'er my head, as is a winged messenger of Grummsh, unto the white-upturned dead eyes of mortals that fall back to gaze on him. When he bestrides the flesh-eating steeds, and sails upon the seas of blood."

Jewelyette: O Rombo, Rombo! wherefore art thou Rombo? Deny thy honor and refuse mine blade; Or, thou overmuscled hellspawn, be but sworn my companion, and I'll no longer wear a beard. 'Tis but thy race that is my enemy; Thou art thyself, though not Dwarven. What's Dwarven? It is not skill in blade, nor bow; nor shout, nor sweat, nor any other part belonging to a man. O, be some other race! What's in a race? That which we call a forge, to build any other weapon would slay as sweet; So Rombo would, were he not Orcish call'd, retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title. Rombo, doff thy tribe, and for that blood which is no part of thee; take all myself."

Rombo: [stepping from behind a pile of corpses] "I take thee at thy word: Call me but love, and I'll be new bapti-"

Jewelyette: "Ahhh! Attack!" [attacks]

Rombo: "The fu-?" [dies]

Id fund it.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-06-10, 09:11 AM
As the madman responsible for the List of D&D Races thread on 1d4chan, first, let me thank Blackhawk748 for the reveal of new half-races in KoK's Dangerous Denizens. Secondly, let me share with you all of the half-breed races I have become aware of and listed as I assembled that article:

Basic D&D:
N'djatwa - Elf/Ogre hybrids native to Mystara, statted in Dragon #158

Advanced D&D:
Half-Dryad - Dragon #109
Half-Ogre - Dragon #29 and #73
Half-Satyr - Dragon #109
Mul - Human/Dwarf hybrid native to Athas, statted in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Original & Revised)
Athasian Half-Giant - Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Original & Revised)
Half-Dragon - Dragon #206
Half-Elf - Expanded rules appeared in the Complete Book of Elves
Half-Ogre - Complete Book of Humanoids
Half-Orc - Complete Book of Humanoids
Planar Half-Elf - The Planewalker's Handbook
Tiefling - Fiend-blooded humanoid, statted in the Player's Guide to The Planes and The Planewalker's Handbook
Aasimar - Celestial-blooded humanoid, statted in The Planewalker's Handbook
Genasi - Elemental-blooded humanoid, statted in The Planewalker's Handbook
Half-Vistani - A hybrid of humans and the "inhuman" Vistani, the magical gypsies of the Demiplane of Dread, statted in Domains of Dread

3rd Edition:
Half-Elf - Player's Handbook
Half-Orc - Player's Handbook
Athasian Half-Giant - Exanded Psionics Handbook, Dragon #319
Aasimar - Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny
Tiefling - Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny
Half-Ogre - Races of Destiny
Sea Kin - Humans touched by some mysterious sea-based ancestor, probably tritons or merfolk, statted in Races of Destiny
Spellscale - Humans with draconic ancestry giving them a natural talent for sorcery, statted in Races of the Dragon
Half-Dragon - Races of the Dragon
Draconic Race - Descendants of half-dragons, Races of the Dragon
Krynnish Half-Dwarf - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Elf - Races of Ansalon
Half-Tinker Gnome - Races of Ansalon
Half-Kender - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Goblin - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Ogre - Races of Ansalon
Axani - Planetouched descended from Lawful Outsiders, Dragon #397
Cansin - Planetouched descended from Chaotic Outsiders, Dragon #397
Para-Genasi - Genasi of the Para-Elemental Planes, Dragon #397
Azerblood - Dwarf/Azer hybrids, Dragon #350
Celadrin - Elf/Firre Eladrin hybrids, Dragon #350
D'hin - Halfling/Genie hybrids, Dragon #350
Worghest - Goblin/Barghest hybrids, Dragon #350
Athasian Half-Elf - Dragon #319
Mul - Dragon #319
Genasi - Dragon #293
Half-Elemental Racial Class - Dragon #326
Half-Undead - Comes in the Fetch (half-ghost), Khatane (half-vampire), Ghul (half-ghoul) and Ghedan (half-zombie) varieties, Dragon #313
Mortif - Weaker descendants of half-undead, Dragon #313
Half-Doppelganger - Dragon #313
Half-Janni - Dragon #313
Half-Minotaur - Dragon #313
Half-Nymph - Dragon #313
Half-Ogre - Dragon #313
Half-Rakshasa - Dragon #313
Half-Satyr - Dragon #313
Shifter - Descendants of humans and werebeasts, Eberron Campaign Setting
Changeling - Descendants of humans and doppelgangers, Eberron Campaign Setting
Faerunian Half-Elf - Half-Aquatic Elf and Half-Drow variants, Races of Faerun
Faerunian Half-Orc - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Aasimar - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Tiefling - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Genasi - Races of Faerun
Fey'ri - Elfin tieflings, Races of Faerun
Tanarukk - Orcish tieflings, Races of Faerun
Hagspawn - Ogre-like sons of humans and hags, Forgotten Realms: Unapproachable East
Caliban - Magically deformed humans poisoned in the womb by ancestral sins or black magic, Ravenloft 3rd edition campaign setting and PHB
Half-Vistani - Ravenloft 3rd edition campaign setting and PHB
Half-Hobgoblin - Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide
Adumark - Kalamaran Half-Dwarf, Dangerous Denizens
Haragitu - Half-Githzerai, Dangerous Denizens
Vraark - Half-Gnoll, Dangerous Denizens
Daruukala - Kalamaran Half-Gnome, Dangerous Denizens
Fieri - Kalamaran Half-Goblin, Dangerous Denizens
Vrastand - Kalamaran Half-Satyr, Dangerous Denizens
Tel-Amhothlan - Elf/Orc hybrid, Dangerous Denizens
Dwarrow - Gnome/Dwarf hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting
Dworg - Dwarf/Orc hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting
Elfling - Elf/Halfling hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting

4th Edition:
Half-Elf - Player's Handbook 1
Half-Orc - Player's Handbook 2
Shifter - Player's Handbook 2
Changeling - Eberron Player's Guide
Tiefling - Player's Handbook 1, sub-races appear in Dragons #381, #383, #387
Genasi - Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, sub-races appear in Dragons #380, #396
Shadar-Kai - Humans who sought immortality, and now need to seek stimulation or fade away into nothing, Dragon #372
Vrykola - Human nobles who sold their souls and became living vampires, Heroes of Shadow
Bladeling - Spike-encrusted planar beings descended from humans molded into living weapons by the God of War, Manual of the Planes, Dragon #419
Mul - Dark Sun Campaign Setting (officially no longer sterile)
Dhampyr - Mortals touched by vampiric ancestry, Dragon #371

5th Edition
Tiefling - Player's Handbook
Aasimar - Volo's Guide to Monsters
Genasi - Elemental Evil Player's Guide, Princes of the Apocalypse

I left out the various Ravenloft netbook races like Dread Genasi, Half-Deepkin and Half-Dread Selkies. I left out the Pathfinder races for the same reason. But I hope this is helpful!

bunnynoah
2017-06-10, 03:44 PM
As the madman responsible for the List of D&D Races thread on 1d4chan, first, let me thank Blackhawk748 for the reveal of new half-races in KoK's Dangerous Denizens. Secondly, let me share with you all of the half-breed races I have become aware of and listed as I assembled that article:

Basic D&D:

Advanced D&D:
Half-Dryad - Dragon #109
Half-Satyr - Dragon #109
Mul - Human/Dwarf hybrid native to Athas, statted in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting (Original & Revised)
Tiefling - Fiend-blooded humanoid, statted in the Player's Guide to The Planes and The Planewalker's Handbook
Half-Vistani - A hybrid of humans and the "inhuman" Vistani, the magical gypsies of the Demiplane of Dread, statted in Domains of Dread

3rd Edition:
Athasian Half-Giant - Exanded Psionics Handbook, Dragon #319
Aasimar - Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny
Tiefling - Planar Handbook, Races of Destiny
Half-Ogre - Races of Destiny
Sea Kin - Humans touched by some mysterious sea-based ancestor, probably tritons or merfolk, statted in Races of Destiny
Spellscale - Humans with draconic ancestry giving them a natural talent for sorcery, statted in Races of the Dragon
Half-Dragon - Races of the Dragon
Draconic Race - Descendants of half-dragons, Races of the Dragon
Krynnish Half-Dwarf - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Elf - Races of Ansalon
Half-Tinker Gnome - Races of Ansalon
Half-Kender - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Goblin - Races of Ansalon
Krynnish Half-Ogre - Races of Ansalon
Axani - Planetouched descended from Lawful Outsiders, Dragon #397
Cansin - Planetouched descended from Chaotic Outsiders, Dragon #397
Para-Genasi - Genasi of the Para-Elemental Planes, Dragon #397
Azerblood - Dwarf/Azer hybrids, Dragon #350
Celadrin - Elf/Firre Eladrin hybrids, Dragon #350
D'hin - Halfling/Genie hybrids, Dragon #350
Worghest - Goblin/Barghest hybrids, Dragon #350
Athasian Half-Elf - Dragon #319
Mul - Dragon #319
Genasi - Dragon #293
Half-Elemental Racial Class - Dragon #326
Half-Undead - Comes in the Fetch (half-ghost), Khatane (half-vampire), Ghul (half-ghoul) and Ghedan (half-zombie) varieties, Dragon #313
Mortif - Weaker descendants of half-undead, Dragon #313
Half-Doppelganger - Dragon #313
Half-Janni - Dragon #313
Half-Minotaur - Dragon #313
Half-Nymph - Dragon #313
Half-Ogre - Dragon #313
Half-Rakshasa - Dragon #313
Half-Satyr - Dragon #313
Shifter - Descendants of humans and werebeasts, Eberron Campaign Setting
Changeling - Descendants of humans and doppelgangers, Eberron Campaign Setting
Faerunian Half-Elf - Half-Aquatic Elf and Half-Drow variants, Races of Faerun
Faerunian Half-Orc - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Aasimar - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Tiefling - Races of Faerun
Faerunian Genasi - Races of Faerun
Fey'ri - Elfin tieflings, Races of Faerun
Tanarukk - Orcish tieflings, Races of Faerun
Hagspawn - Ogre-like sons of humans and hags, Forgotten Realms: Unapproachable East
Caliban - Magically deformed humans poisoned in the womb by ancestral sins or black magic, Ravenloft 3rd edition campaign setting and PHB
Half-Vistani - Ravenloft 3rd edition campaign setting and PHB
Half-Hobgoblin - Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide
Adumark - Kalamaran Half-Dwarf, Dangerous Denizens
Haragitu - Half-Githzerai, Dangerous Denizens
Vraark - Half-Gnoll, Dangerous Denizens
Daruukala - Kalamaran Half-Gnome, Dangerous Denizens
Fieri - Kalamaran Half-Goblin, Dangerous Denizens
Vrastand - Kalamaran Half-Satyr, Dangerous Denizens
Tel-Amhothlan - Elf/Orc hybrid, Dangerous Denizens
Dwarrow - Gnome/Dwarf hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting
Dworg - Dwarf/Orc hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting
Elfling - Elf/Halfling hybrid, Midnight Campaign Setting

4th Edition:
Half-Elf - Player's Handbook 1
Half-Orc - Player's Handbook 2
Shifter - Player's Handbook 2
Changeling - Eberron Player's Guide
Tiefling - Player's Handbook 1, sub-races appear in Dragons #381, #383, #387
Genasi - Forgotten Realms Player's Guide, sub-races appear in Dragons #380, #396
Shadar-Kai - Humans who sought immortality, and now need to seek stimulation or fade away into nothing, Dragon #372
Vrykola - Human nobles who sold their souls and became living vampires, Heroes of Shadow
Bladeling - Spike-encrusted planar beings descended from humans molded into living weapons by the God of War, Manual of the Planes, Dragon #419
Mul - Dark Sun Campaign Setting (officially no longer sterile)
Dhampyr - Mortals touched by vampiric ancestry, Dragon #371

5th Edition
Tiefling - Player's Handbook
Aasimar - Volo's Guide to Monsters
Genasi - Elemental Evil Player's Guide, Princes of the Apocalypse

I left out the various Ravenloft netbook races like Dread Genasi, Half-Deepkin and Half-Dread Selkies. I left out the Pathfinder races for the same reason. But I hope this is helpful!

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-11, 02:03 AM
Of those dragon magazine ones I've seen the half minotaur and the half ogre (they're on the same page). Compared to any core race they're horribly broken in all the right ways. I think one of them was +1 LA, the other was free, yet both gave large size including the corresponding strength bonus to a medium creature.

But hey, they're official, let's go.

(Edit: not entirely true, both are +1 if you gain a size category, but they're still packed with enough goodies to easily make it worth several times that, compared to other creatures.)

LibraryOgre
2017-06-12, 10:44 AM

Basic D&D:

Advanced D&D:
Half-Dryad - Dragon #109
Half-Satyr - Dragon #109

I would also note:

Half-dwarves: Dwarves Deep (Forgotten Realms) establishes that half-dwarves exist, and are essentially slightly tall dwarves.
Gully dwarves: Dragonlance Gully dwarves are alternately described as human-dwarf or dwarf-gnome crossbreeds.
Half-Kender: Tarli Half-Kender was mentioned in several (at least two) semi-canon novellas.
Half-Dragons: mentioned, but they originated in the Council of Wyrms boxed set.

Athasian Half-Giants are NOT a crossbreed species; they're a magically created species that is now naturally reproducing, but they are not a half-breed species.