PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the blind....

Starchild7309
2017-06-04, 08:57 PM
Ok so in our last session we helped a blind woman escape slavery. It turns out she is actually a fairly strong bard, but she is hampered by the blindness, obviously. I was curious how we could go about fixing her blindness. Apparently, she was captured and made a slave by the drow, but was "difficult" towards her captures so they used acid to blind her, years ago. Would it require a regenerate spell or something less extreme. We are all currently 4th level.

Sigreid
2017-06-04, 09:12 PM
Regenerate would be my solution.

TripleD
2017-06-04, 09:25 PM
You know, rules as written, casting the 2nd level "Darkvision" would technically give her black and white vision within a 60ft radius.

OmegaChosen
2017-06-04, 09:27 PM
Technically Lesser Restoration cures blindness but if the "blindness" is because she barely has eyeballs anymore due to acid you'd have to have a very generous DM to allow that to work. Failing that you would need to get a sufficiently powerful cleric, or bard or druid I suppose, to cast Regenerate to give her back her eyes.

Another solution which is janky is to somehow get her Find Familiar and for her to basically spend her actions seeing through her familiar's eyes while it sits on her shoulder.

Sigreid
2017-06-04, 09:27 PM
You could always find the Eye of Vecna for her.

90sMusic
2017-06-04, 10:34 PM
Since she was blinded by physical damage to her eyes as opposed to a spell, I think regeneration is about the only route you can take.

As a DM, i've allowed players to slowly heal major injuries over time. Casting cure wounds and making a medicine check provides a bit of progress. Had someone regrow a lost hand this way but it took months because it is an extremely slow process. Could do something similar for the eyes. Since eyes are more simple, probably a week or so to fix them up.

Could also give her a magical item to let her see, like the robe of eyes or something. Then she could see from all the eyes on her robe. :)

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-04, 10:38 PM
Regenerate is probably your best bet. Not only does it regrow stuff for certain, you can approach your DM and say 'We want to make a quest about curing this woman'. You might need to play along with the NPC, but many a DM would be tickled pink at the idea of a NPC actually being cared about for more then their loot.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-05, 01:56 AM
Irl blind people can get around pretty well. You can just have her spend her downtime learning how to function blind. I'm thinking of examples like getting a seeing eye dog, using a cane, doing the clicking echolocation trick, folding different bills each in a special way, etc.

What is she struggling with right now? Just targeted spells? She could switch to area effect and touch spells. I'm having a hard time thinking of what else she (or other modern blind people) couldn't do that bards must regularly do.

As a DM, I'd probably make an Enhanced Senses feat for her to unlock once she's spent enough down time learning it

NecroDancer
2017-06-05, 03:24 PM
Would an "arcane eye" spell work? it is a 4th level spell but lower than regenerate.