PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ring of Spell Storing fun... and beyond.

Matrix_Walker
2017-06-04, 11:57 PM
So I have a homebrew item my GM introduced, a magic bracelet that is very much like a ring of spell storing.

I say and beyond because instead of four spell levels, this bracelet can handle three spells of any level.

To those of you who are saying "Oh that's kinda broken", I cannot say I disagree, but I adore this thing!

Today I had stopped at a Temple of a War God and he cast a find steed into it for me, twice. I used one immediately, and have a backup casting for if he is killed.

My Sorlock Misty Stepped on horseback today, and it was beautiful.

I keep the biggest healing word our cleric can cast usually for a backup burst of party healing, and I swiped a Bigby's Hand I've got in there on deck...

We're level 10, not sure if this game will see the fourth tier or not... Currently only level 5 magic is reliably accessible, but the game marches on!

What would you guys use a Spell storing item for, were it not restricted by spell levels?

90sMusic
2017-06-05, 12:24 AM
Depends on the levels involved...

Wish is the most obvious choice since it can duplicate literally any other spell of 8th level or lower.

With 5th level limits i'd say:
Haste, Fly, Invisibility, Fireball, Scorching Ray.

Citan
2017-06-05, 07:34 AM
So I have a homebrew item my GM introduced, a magic bracelet that is very much like a ring of spell storing.

I say and beyond because instead of four spell levels, this bracelet can handle three spells of any level.

To those of you who are saying "Oh that's kinda broken", I cannot say I disagree, but I adore this thing!

Today I had stopped at a Temple of a War God and he cast a find steed into it for me, twice. I used one immediately, and have a backup casting for if he is killed.

My Sorlock Misty Stepped on horseback today, and it was beautiful.

I keep the biggest healing word our cleric can cast usually for a backup burst of party healing, and I swiped a Bigby's Hand I've got in there on deck...

We're level 10, not sure if this game will see the fourth tier or not... Currently only level 5 magic is reliably accessible, but the game marches on!

What would you guys use a Spell storing item for, were it not restricted by spell levels?

Honestly it depends on many things.
If you want to use it yourself, then basically any spell you usually exploit is a valid choice: if you wade into melee, having pre-stored max-level Armor of Agathys, a Fire Shield or Greater Invisibility is always helpful, as well as a max-level Cone of Cold for example. Or you could ask other people to cast useful buffs for you (Spirit Guardians, Greater Invisibility, Circle of Power from a Lore Bard, etc).

If you have some non-caster in the party, or casters that usually blow non-concentration spells, you could instead give it to them for a tough fight so they take the responsibility of maintaining concentration, which frees yours as a consequence. And since it uses your own spellcasting ability it doesn't matter they have bad mental scores.
For example a Fighter or Rogue hanging back: either buffs (Haste, upcasted Fly, Polymorph), all-around (Animate Objects, Wall of Stone, Wall of Fire) or debuffs (upcasted Bane, Slow, Telekinesis).
Or you could put some high-level, close range AOE spells such as Cone of Cold or upcasted Thunderwave / Earth Tremor to give them an element of surprise and maximize efficiency (since they can, better than you and with less risks, position themselves in the best way to capture a maximum of targets in the effect area).

EDIT: Was wondering, can a Sorcerer Twin-cast a spell "into" a Ring of Spell Storing or the like? Would make buffs such as Greater Invisibility or Haste even more interesting. ;)

Matrix_Walker
2017-06-05, 10:25 AM
Honestly it depends on many things.
If you want to use it yourself, then basically any spell you usually exploit is a valid choice: if you wade into melee, having pre-stored max-level Armor of Agathys, a Fire Shield or Greater Invisibility is always helpful, as well as a max-level Cone of Cold for example. Or you could ask other people to cast useful buffs for you (Spirit Guardians, Greater Invisibility, Circle of Power from a Lore Bard, etc).

If you have some non-caster in the party, or casters that usually blow non-concentration spells, you could instead give it to them for a tough fight so they take the responsibility of maintaining concentration, which frees yours as a consequence. And since it uses your own spellcasting ability it doesn't matter they have bad mental scores.
For example a Fighter or Rogue hanging back: either buffs (Haste, upcasted Fly, Polymorph), all-around (Animate Objects, Wall of Stone, Wall of Fire) or debuffs (upcasted Bane, Slow, Telekinesis).
Or you could put some high-level, close range AOE spells such as Cone of Cold or upcasted Thunderwave / Earth Tremor to give them an element of surprise and maximize efficiency (since they can, better than you and with less risks, position themselves in the best way to capture a maximum of targets in the effect area).

EDIT: Was wondering, can a Sorcerer Twin-cast a spell "into" a Ring of Spell Storing or the like? Would make buffs such as Greater Invisibility or Haste even more interesting. ;)

Huh, I just read it and it seems like a GM call.. as written I see nothing that would stop a sorcerer from using metamagic as it goes in or as it goes out!