PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for melee druid build

Zangief1983
2017-06-05, 12:03 AM
I have a level 6 melee druid I would like opinions on whether I should build for grapples or for tripping. I plan on retraining again at level 7 or 8 when we have some downtime. We are playing Rise of the Runelords. I plan on taking up the form of an octopus until level 8 or 10 just because they have great reach for battlefield control and very good damage. I'm just not sure if grapple is the way to go (which is very good for a octopus as that Grab attack would give me a further +4 bonus to CMB) or if tripping is the way to go. Tripping is much more difficult to increase so I would most likely only land the trip 50% of the time, however when it does land it is very potent as my allies will most likely get AOO when the prone creature stands back up on his feet. With the grappling I will have an 80% success rate so it is a very good option. Would love you hear some thoughts on which combat maneuver between the two would be best for this campaign as it appears there are lots of humanoids in this campaign which can be tripped and grappled.

Baby Gary
2017-06-05, 12:15 AM
For anything druid check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?439991-Being-Everything-Eggynack-s-Comprehensive-Druid-Handbook&highlight=Druid+Eggynack) out.

also how are you an octopus if your not in the water (if you are playing an under water campaign, my bad)?

P.S. why are you playing a grappling druid? at 9th level your summons can easily grapple for you so you can be playing in the air raining h*ll on your enemies, and by h*ll I mean some walls of thrones via your summons and randome debuffs (to do that look up 'Greenbound Summoning', its in the feats section of the thing i linked

Zangief1983
2017-06-05, 01:25 AM
Because an octopus has a land speed and wild shape is extremely strong in the early and mid game much stronger than a druid caster. Casters shine in the late game. The summons can hardly grapple a fly if you compare there CMB vs an enemy's CMD they will fail half the time which isn't good. a druid is able to get his CMB up very high and success on grapples can be in the 80% range. Oh and that link is D&D I'm talking about Pathfinder.

Twurps
2017-06-05, 09:15 AM
Put 'pathfinder somewhere in the OP, and preferably in the thread title, or you're going to get lots of 3.5 advice.

Back on topic: sorry, nothing to add as I don't play PF.

Zangief1983
2017-06-05, 09:26 AM
Put 'pathfinder somewhere in the OP, and preferably in the thread title, or you're going to get lots of 3.5 advice.

Back on topic: sorry, nothing to add as I don't play PF.

Lol I did apply the tag "Pathfinder"