PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What level 2 power should a Wilder select?

SangoProduction
2017-06-05, 12:57 AM
So, I'm a level 4 wilder in a campaign with another psion, rogue assassin, oracle, and ranger packmaster hunter. Obviously, I took Warping Surge.

My planned 1st level powers are: Energy Ray (1d6[+1] * PP), and Inertial armor. But I can't decide on my second level power.

I thought maybe Shard Swarm (1d4 * PP) for the AoE and typeless, impossible to miss damage utility, even if it's short ranged?

Of course, I could also go with Bestow Power, which can allow me to give the points to the psion who probably has better utility uses for them. And as we level up (and I get Surge Crystals), the ratio of power points use to those given get better. (Sessions last 2.5 hours, so it's doubtful I would burn through all mine for combat uses.)

Then again, I can sort of double down on the energy stuff and take Energy Stun (1d6[+1] * (PP-2)), which also gives a chance to stun for one round, which is fairly significant. It has equivalent scaling to Energy Ray, but just starts with 2 less damage dice, so the higher level we are, the less of a difference that makes. In fact, even right now, that's the difference between 6 dice and 4.

If I picked the Energy Stun, should I just go ahead and skip out on Energy Ray, since they'd basically be doing the same job but Stun gets the chance to stun? Should I pick up Entangling Ectoplasm instead?

I was also thinking Defy Gravity would be useful, and flavourful as I am fluffing the character as a dragon-like creature, with wings an all. Would it really, though? I've never had a situation in game where flight was really a big deal, outside of staying out of reach of melee.

Almarck
2017-06-05, 07:19 AM
So, I'm a level 4 wilder in a campaign with another psion, rogue assassin, oracle, and ranger packmaster hunter. Obviously, I took Warping Surge.

My planned 1st level powers are: Energy Ray (1d6[+1] * PP), and Inertial armor. But I can't decide on my second level power.

I thought maybe Shard Swarm (1d4 * PP) for the AoE and typeless, impossible to miss damage utility, even if it's short ranged?

Of course, I could also go with Bestow Power, which can allow me to give the points to the psion who probably has better utility uses for them. And as we level up (and I get Surge Crystals), the ratio of power points use to those given get better. (Sessions last 2.5 hours, so it's doubtful I would burn through all mine for combat uses.)

Then again, I can sort of double down on the energy stuff and take Energy Stun (1d6[+1] * (PP-2)), which also gives a chance to stun for one round, which is fairly significant. It has equivalent scaling to Energy Ray, but just starts with 2 less damage dice, so the higher level we are, the less of a difference that makes. In fact, even right now, that's the difference between 6 dice and 4.

If I picked the Energy Stun, should I just go ahead and skip out on Energy Ray, since they'd basically be doing the same job but Stun gets the chance to stun? Should I pick up Entangling Ectoplasm instead?

I was also thinking Defy Gravity would be useful, and flavourful as I am fluffing the character as a dragon-like creature, with wings an all. Would it really, though? I've never had a situation in game where flight was really a big deal, outside of staying out of reach of melee.

Defy Gravity is always going to be useful if someone needs a pick meup.

Cloud mind is going to be a semi invisibility but it's kinda weak sauce since it has limits.

If you have a tank or characters with Low Will Saves, Psychic Bodyguard is okay, but that's best for classes with Wisdom as primary stat.

Concealing Amphora is good too for defense like say Mirror Image is

You have damage already, go for diversity.