PDA

View Full Version : 1 HD creatures and dropping RHD

zergling.exe
2017-06-05, 03:31 AM
Found this in DMG while looking for rules to handle LA gaining (found none)
If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature (such as a vampire or a lycanthrope; see the Monster Manual), it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).

I recall there not being a consensus on 1HD creatures dropping their first RHD for a class level, this seems to support that all creatures of <1 HD drop their RHD to gain a class level instead, or they automatically start at level 2.

What do you all think of this piece of information?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-06-05, 04:41 AM
Insofar it wasn't settled already, it is now. Nice find.

Bronk
2017-06-05, 06:46 AM
Found this in DMG while looking for rules to handle LA gaining (found none)

I recall there not being a consensus on 1HD creatures dropping their first RHD for a class level, this seems to support that all creatures of <1 HD drop their RHD to gain a class level instead, or they automatically start at level 2.

I'm away from my books, but if I recall correctly, the argument was actually about that exact passage because it's under a heading marked for humanoids or something like that, and people were going back and forth about the context.

Calthropstu
2017-06-05, 07:09 AM
When I drop racial hit dice, I reroll on the table...

ExLibrisMortis
2017-06-05, 07:25 AM
I'm away from my books, but if I recall correctly, the argument was actually about that exact passage because it's under a heading marked for humanoids or something like that, and people were going back and forth about the context.
It's under "Starting Level of a Monster PC", so that argument has been defeated.

Godskook
2017-06-05, 07:37 AM

People forgot about this?

zergling.exe
2017-06-05, 07:57 AM
People forgot about this?

I don't recall this one ever being brought up in the discussions, just constant citing of the one under "Humanoids and Class Levels". Which says almost the same thing but people would discount for including the word 'humanoid' it the paragraph header.