PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Are there any Pathfinder classes with Con as a primary stat?

SangoProduction
2017-06-05, 04:18 AM
I mean, in a similar function to say Dragonfire Adept in 3.5, where their...well, basically only ability scaled based on Constitution. Not in the manner like Barbarian where Con just boosts the duration of Rage a couple rounds.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-05, 04:32 AM
The Kineticist, which is basically an unintuive poorly designed port of the warlock. Wouldn't reccomend trying it unless you can slap some third party content to fix it. (Either N.Jolly's or DSP's)

Inevitability
2017-06-05, 04:40 AM
Pre-errata Scarred Witch Doctor.

EldritchWeaver
2017-06-05, 08:17 AM
3PP Spheres of Power provides a way to bind the casting stat to Constitution (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc145). But it requires this is combination with the Draining Casting (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc39)drawback, which causes non-lethal damage. Ironically, adding this to the Elementalist (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/elementalist) class, you get the Kineticist, too, but in an easy playable form.

dude123nice
2017-06-05, 04:58 PM
3PP Spheres of Power provides a way to bind the casting stat to Constitution (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc145). But it requires this is combination with the Draining Casting (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc39)drawback, which causes non-lethal damage. Ironically, adding this to the Elementalist (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/elementalist) class, you get the Kineticist, too, but in an easy playable form.
A Draining Casting Elementalist is to a Kinetichist what the Unarmed Swordsage is to the Monk.

noob
2017-06-05, 06:07 PM
I believe psions can do that.
Psionic is awesome in part due to that reason.

Ellrin
2017-06-05, 06:12 PM
The Kineticist, which is basically an unintuive poorly designed port of the warlock. Wouldn't reccomend trying it unless you can slap some third party content to fix it. (Either N.Jolly's or DSP's)

Is the DSP take an archetype or a full class rehaul? Also what book?

SangoProduction
2017-06-05, 09:41 PM
I believe psions can do that.
Psionic is awesome in part due to that reason.

How do they?

noob
2017-06-06, 04:44 AM
How do they?
Sorry I was wrong.
I guess it is one more argument for playing a psionic variant of wizard instead of a psion.

EldritchWeaver
2017-06-06, 06:02 AM
A Draining Casting Elementalist is to a Kinetichist what the Unarmed Swordsage is to the Monk.

Considering I only know PoW, I take it to be immensely superior?

Calthropstu
2017-06-06, 06:45 AM

Playing in a game with a dsp kinetecist. It is doing some impressive damage and its abilities are fairly nice.

Tuvarkz
2017-06-06, 07:02 AM
Is the DSP take an archetype or a full class rehaul? Also what book?
There's three archetypes
The Roil Dancer is in the splat Divergent Paths: Roil Dancer. It gives the kineticist initiation but doesn't completely rehaul the class.
Psionics Augmented: Kineticists contains both the Avant-Guard and the Gambler
The Avant-Guard trades some stuff for an Astral Construct, whose power basically varies based on how much burn you use to empower it, and some other thematic abilities.
The Gambler basically revamps the class, removing pretty much everything short of the blast progression and some number-boosters; but makes for an efficient, powerful blaster with some manifesting ability that is admitedly so much more fun to play, particularly because it incentivizes a high risk high reward playstyle that is so much more intuitive (MAKE A BIG BLAST AND MAKE IT CRIT) than the standard kineticist.

digiman619
2017-06-06, 07:19 AM
Considering I only know PoW, I take it to be immensely superior?

It'd be more accurate to say "is a far better implementation of an otherwise flawed concept". Core 3.5 Monk was, to be kind, lackluster at best. An unarmed Swordsage (essentially an archetype which made the initiator an unarmed-focused combatant like Steelfist Commando is in PoW) far better matched the monk concept than the monk did. Likewise, a vanilla Kineticist has a lot of problems due to the various limitations and apparently contrary goals of the designers. A draining casting Elementalist does the "Constitution based blaster" concept far better than the kenny does.

dude123nice
2017-06-07, 02:34 PM
It'd be more accurate to say "is a far better implementation of an otherwise flawed concept". Core 3.5 Monk was, to be kind, lackluster at best. An unarmed Swordsage (essentially an archetype which made the initiator an unarmed-focused combatant like Steelfist Commando is in PoW) far better matched the monk concept than the monk did. Likewise, a vanilla Kineticist has a lot of problems due to the various limitations and apparently contrary goals of the designers. A draining casting Elementalist does the "Constitution based blaster" concept far better than the kenny does.

It's actually pretty funny when you think about it. They probably spent quite some time designing the vanilla monk and they ended up with a garbage class. And then a throwaway line in the another class's entry which basically said "oh you could also try playing this as a monk, i guess" resulted in a better implementation of the same concept, mechanically at least.

EDDIT: It also makes it one of the precursors of Pathfinder's Archetypes, when you think about it.

The_Jette
2017-06-07, 02:39 PM
How do they?

In early 3rd edition, there was a different type of Psion for each stat, and the Psion who focused on Psychometabolism, iirc, drew all his DC's and extra PP/day off the Con stat. They changed it for 3.5 so that all psions work off of Intelligence, Wilders use Charisma, and Psychic Warriors use Wisdom.

Beneath
2017-06-07, 05:46 PM
In early 3rd edition, there was a different type of Psion for each stat, and the Psion who focused on Psychometabolism, iirc, drew all his DC's and extra PP/day off the Con stat. They changed it for 3.5 so that all psions work off of Intelligence, Wilders use Charisma, and Psychic Warriors use Wisdom.

Oh, it was weirder than that. Each discipline used a different stat to set its save DCs, and you used your primary discipline's stat for bonus PP

Also Psychometabolism was Strength and Psychokinesis was Constitution, probably so that psywarriors could use their bashing stat for their psychometabolism abilities very few of which had saves anyway (and psychic warriors didn't have a primary discipline or bonus PP anyway)

dude123nice
2017-06-10, 06:53 PM
Oh, it was weirder than that. Each discipline used a different stat to set its save DCs, and you used your primary discipline's stat for bonus PP

Also Psychometabolism was Strength and Psychokinesis was Constitution, probably so that psywarriors could use their bashing stat for their psychometabolism abilities very few of which had saves anyway (and psychic warriors didn't have a primary discipline or bonus PP anyway)

This honestly sounds like an interesting concept, but weaker than standard DnD fare. I think you could make an interesting wholly new system based on it.

RolkFlameraven
2017-06-10, 07:30 PM
This honestly sounds like an interesting concept, but weaker than standard DnD fare. I think you could make an interesting wholly new system based on it.

Oh it was, but you also needed the normal power level +10 to cast anything, so to be able to manifest all the powers you might want you needed all 19's.