PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder "Rust Spider" - In need of a second/third look

Silus
2017-06-05, 04:31 AM
So I've had this creature on the brain since I started brainstorming the current campaign/mission that my players are on. In short, it's using the Amalgam Creature template (Advanced Bestiary) and combining a Rust Monster and a Phase Spider (BECAUSE.). Now I THINK I sorted out the actual combining (the better of the two base creatures was a Magical Beast and when you combine a Magical Beast and an Aberration you get a Magical beast so much of the Phase Spider stayed the same) but I could really do with a second or third pair of eyes on this.

Of note, I'm worried about the CR (Phase Spider CR is 5, bumped it to 6 due to the additional rusting abilities) and if I as a DM should tone it down any. Currently the party is a group of 4 lvl 5's and I'm not even sure if I'll use this monstrosity but as a DM I want to be ready.

Link to the Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7PY3kDVvv5j8l6X9DPrvpNBZHYbvH3TkvDrPYatHig/edit?usp=sharing)

Rust Spider
CR 6
XP 1,600
N Large magical beast
Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent metals 90 ft; Perception +6
DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 12, flat-footed 18 (+3 Dex, +9 natural, –1 size)
hp 51 (6d10+18)
Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +5
Defensive Abilities ethereal jaunt
OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee bite +10 (2d6+6 plus poison and grab), antennae +10 touch (rust)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks ethereal ambush, rust
STATISTICS
Str 19, Dex 16, Con 17, Int 6, Wis 13, Cha 9
Base Atk +6; CMB +11 (+16 grapple); CMD 24 (37 vs. trip)
Feats Ability Focus (rust), Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Stealth)
Skills Climb +17, Perception +6, Stealth +7
Languages Aklo

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Ethereal Ambush (Ex)
A phase spider that attacks foes on the Material Plane in a surprise round can take a full round of actions if it begins the combat by phasing into the Material Plane from the Ethereal Plane.
Ethereal Jaunt (Su)
A phase spider can shift from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move action (or as part of a move action). The ability is otherwise identical to ethereal jaunt (CL 15th).
Poison (Ex)
Bite—injury; save Fort DC 18; frequency 1/round for 8 rounds; effect 1d2 Constitution damage; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Rust (Su)
A rust monster‘s antennae are a primary touch attack that causes any metal object they touch to swiftly rust and corrode. The object touched takes half its maximum hp in damage and gains the broken condition—a second hit destroys the item. A rust monster never provokes attacks of opportunity by attempting to strike a weapon with its antennae. Against creatures made of metal, a rust monster‘s antennae deal 3d6+5 points of damage. An attended object, any magic object, or a metal creature can attempt a DC 15 Reflex save to negate this effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Scent Metals (Ex)
This ability functions much the same as the scent ability, except that the range is 90 feet and the rust monster can only use it to sense metal objects (including creatures wearing or carrying metal objects).

Deadline on this is next Sunday though hopefully I can get some input before then.

DuctTapeKatar
2017-06-05, 04:50 PM
This is just so... malicious.

The concept is very sound, but as it is, it feels as though it could be more of its own monster rather than two things being mashed together. I would give it the ability to make webbing, personally. This way, it would be able to immobilize potential targets before snacking on their armor, and maybe even extending the rusting-touch ability to the webbing, making it have some range to it.

Silus
2017-06-05, 05:09 PM
This is just so... malicious.

The concept is very sound, but as it is, it feels as though it could be more of its own monster rather than two things being mashed together. I would give it the ability to make webbing, personally. This way, it would be able to immobilize potential targets before snacking on their armor, and maybe even extending the rusting-touch ability to the webbing, making it have some range to it.

One of the people on the Paizo forums suggested they spin webs in the Ethereal Plane that snags large quantities of metal (weapons and armor) in the Material Plane.