PDA

View Full Version : Someone Please Tell Me I'm Wrong

Zombulian
2017-06-05, 02:21 PM
I'm probably just freaking out because I forgot how poorly written Savage Species is, but I think I've come to the conclusion that Assume Supernatural Ability is straight NUTTY. As a Half-Giant (ignoring ways to reduce LA), as early as ECL 7 you can Alter Self into an Ogre Mage and then use their Change Shape (su) to turn into ANY small, medium, or large Humanoid or Giant. Just looking in the Monster Manual that means that at ECL 7 you can take the form of 4 different giants with HD in the teens and Str scores nearing or at 30, as well as gaining their (ex) abilities to throw rocks. Am I overreacting? Is this as crazy as I think it is? Should I just stay away from SS?

Edit: I was definitely overreacting. Just read the part of Change Shape where it says you keep the ability scores of your original form.

ATHATH
2017-06-05, 05:16 PM
Oh, it is definitely broken. Combining it with the Aberration Wildshape feat and spamming Beholder eye rays (they're all technically considered one ability, IIRC) is just the tip of the iceberg.

Pick it up as your Chameleon floating feat for even more fun.

I think eggynack might have done a little bit of research on this when making the Aberration Wild Shape section of his handbook... Can someone bring him in here?

Zombulian
2017-06-05, 07:03 PM
Oh, it is definitely broken. Combining it with the Aberration Wildshape feat and spamming Beholder eye rays (they're all technically considered one ability, IIRC) is just the tip of the iceberg.

Pick it up as your Chameleon floating feat for even more fun.

I think eggynack might have done a little bit of research on this when making the Aberration Wild Shape section of his handbook... Can someone bring him in here?

Oh yeah I'm fully aware it's borked the heck out. Just not for my specific purposes :smallbiggrin:
I think Eggy usually talked about it for when you take the form of a Choker. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm)

ATHATH
2017-06-05, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah I'm fully aware it's borked the heck out. Just not for my specific purposes :smallbiggrin:
I think Eggy usually talked about it for when you take the form of a Choker. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm)
Did somebody say "Choker (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6790.0)"?

eggynack
2017-06-05, 11:35 PM
I actually didn't go over assume supernatural ability overmuch. It has its amazing utility, but I doubt you're going to do much better with it than beholder stuff. I found enhance wild shape optimization significantly more interesting, and it encompasses the vast majority of what I included in that section. Might actually just be all of it, with some info on the feat within its entry. Why choker when you can nilshai, y'know?

prototype00
2017-06-05, 11:36 PM
I've always been of the assumption that SS was 3.0 material? Was I mistaken?

eggynack
2017-06-06, 12:04 AM
Unupdated 3.0 material is legal 3.5 material.

Zombulian
2017-06-06, 12:08 AM

It is but it was grandfathered into 3.5 because it was never updated.

Andezzar
2017-06-06, 12:13 AM
Unupdated 3.0 material is legal 3.5 material.For unupdated content WotC however gives the DM leeway to adjust it to fit with 3.5 rules. So don't expect them to work as written.

Zombulian
2017-06-06, 12:16 AM
For unupdated content WotC however gives the DM leeway to adjust it to fit with 3.5 rules. So don't expect them to work as written.

I mean, I'm not sure anything requires WotC's intervention for a DM to adjust rules to the way they'd like :P But I suppose their added credibility doesn't hurt.

Coventry
2017-06-06, 01:16 AM
Ahem. "You're wrong."

Somebody had to say it!

*giggles and runs away*

Zombulian
2017-06-06, 02:00 AM
Did somebody say "Choker (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=6790.0)"?

Oh my gods. How have I never encountered this before? It's brilliant!

Ahem. "You're wrong."

Somebody had to say it!

*giggles and runs away*

Hehehehe. The worst part is, I was actually only wrong about Change Shape. Assume Su Ability is still NUTTY