PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Tabletop United 1.05 Class Rewrite

big teej
2017-06-05, 02:25 PM
EDIT: I have decided not to bother updating this thread, as a handful of my players and I are instead overhauling the entire system, so in the future this will be replace with a link to that final project (whenever it gets done)

Greetings Playgrounders,

I've rewritten/altered several classes for my game (which you can find in my signature) that I'm rather pleased with. I haven't seen a huge number of PTU games around here, but I still thought I'd post it for people to use/abuse in their own games if they saw something they liked.

If this thread receives a sufficient response, I'll also gladly post some of my other houserules as well.

I'm not really after a Critique or an Evaluation or anything, I just wanted to share my work.
also, for the sake of completeness, I'm currently working on rewriting The Warper.

It also may be worth noting that my design philosophy tends to be something to the effect of "If I'm going to bother completely rewriting something from scratch, it is going to be in the top 3rd of the power curve when I'm done.

My philosphy can also be summed up as "Player options, be they classes, feats, skills, whatever, should be thematic, meaninful, and fun.

Now let's see if I can get this formatted how I want.

Enduring Soul Rewrite V1.5

Enduring Soul
[Class] [+HP]
Prerequisites: Novice Focus
Static
Effect: You may add to your Pokémon’s HP stat when they level up, ignoring Base Relation, and you do not need to “correct” stats due to this inflated HP

By the Skin of its Teeth!
[+HP]
Prerequisites: Enduring Soul
Drain 2 AP – Extended action
Effect: Your pokemon with 2 or more tutor points loses 2 tutor points and gains the “Hang On” Ability.
- Hang On: This Pokémon can always use Endure, even if it is not in its moves known list

Just a Scratch!
[+HP]
Prerequisites: Enduring Soul
2 AP – Free Action
Trigger: Your Pokémon is hit by a Critical Hit or gains a Status Affliction (or both)
Effect: Your Pokémon does not gain a Status Affliction, and the triggering attack does damage as if it was not a Critical Hit. Just a Scratch! may only be used once per target per scene

Swan Song
[+HP]
Prerequisites: Enduring Soul, Adept Focus
Scene – Free Action
Trigger: Your Pokémon is Fainted, but is not at -100% Hit Points
Effect: Before Fainting, the target Pokémon gains an injury, and may then use a Move as an Interrupt, when the move is resolved, the Pokémon then immediately faints. This consumes a Pokémon Turn as normal. This Feature CAN be used after the Pokémon has fainted due to Explosion, Pain Split, or Self Destruct, but these moves CAN NOT be the Swan Song move.
- I.E. Koffing could use Explosion, then his trainer could activate Swan Song and Koffing could use Poison Gas. Koffing could not be fainted by the enemy, and activate Swan Song to use Explosion.

Second Wind
[+HP]
Prerequisites: Just a Scratch! Expert Focus
2 AP – Standard Action Scenex2
Effect: Your pokemon heals for 50% of it’s uninjured maximum hit points, once per scene per pokemon.

Built to Last
[+HP]
Perquisites: Just a Scratch! Expert Focus
Extended Action
Effect: Your Pokemon with 2 or more tutor points loses 2 tutor points and learns one of the following abilities
- Tolerance
- Battle Armor
- Filter

In For The Long Haul
[+HP]
Prerequisites: Built to Last, Swan Song, Master Focus
Dailyx3
Trigger: Your Pokémon is fainted and you do not activate Swan Song
Effect: Your Pokémon heals for 50% of its uninjured maximum HP and gains DR 25. Your Pokémon’s DR is reduced by 5 at the end of each round. Your Pokémon faints when it’s DR reaches zero or if its reduced to 0 hp a second time.

Change Log
- From 1.0
o Changed Feature 1 to “By the Skin of its Teeth!”
o Changed Feature 4 to “Built to Last
- From 1.1
o Changed “By the Skin of its Teeth” from Static to “Drain 2 AP – Extended Action, Target loses 2 tutor points and gangs Hang On”
o Changed “Built to Last” to “Second Wind”
o Changed “Feature 5” to “Built to Last 2.0” Built to Last now allows you to tutor certain abilities onto any pokemon
- From 1.2
o “Parting Shot:” changed to “Swan Song” (Name changed to avoid confusion with Parting Shot the Move)
- from 1.3
o Corrected typos in “In for the Long Haul”
 Prerequisite: Feature 5 was changed to Built to Last in 1.2
o Parting Shot was changed to Swan Song in 1.3
- From 1.4
o Changed “Resilience” to “Just a Scratch!” – Name change only
o Changed “Durable” to “Built to Last” – Name change only

Taskmaster rewrite v1.3

Taskmaster
[Class]
Prerequisites: Brutal Training, Novice Intimidate
At-Will – Free Action
Trigger: You apply Brutal Training as a Training action
Effect: You may grant your pokemon up to three Lashings.

Mechanic – Lashings
A Trainer may Lash a pokemon as a Standard action. Every time a pokemon is lashed, choose one of the following effects.
- The Pokemon receives an injury. (this injury does not cause a negative Combat stage)
- The Pokemon receives -1 CS in a stat of the Taskmaster’s choosing.
- The Pokemon takes two ticks worth of damage that cannot be reduced in any way.

Injuries and negative combat stages inflicted by enemies qualify as ‘lashings’ for any and all purposes of this Class. A Lashing Effect that has been removed or counteracted in some way does not provide any benefits (i.e. you cannot apply 9 negative combat stages and through the use of Press On! have no actual changes to your pokemon and gain the benefit of having 9 lashings)

Pokemon with one or more lashings gain the following benefits.
- They do not lose hit points from acting while Heavily Injured
- Injuries beyond the 5th do not lower their Maximum Hit Points
- 1 or more Lashings – gain +1 to Critical Hit/Effect Range
- 3 or more Lashings – gain +1 Evasion and +5 Initiative
- 5 or more Lashings – gain +5 Damage Reduction that stacks with all other sources of DR
- 7 or more Lashings – Remove a negative status effect at the end of every round.
- 9 or more Lashings – Resist all damage one step further

Quick Healing
Prerequisite: Taskmaster
At-Will – Extended Action
Effect: Your pokemon with at least one Lashing may use Quick Healing to remove up to three injuries, and gains two ticks of hit points for each injury removed this way.
Note: The Injury Removal from this feature counts as natural healing, and thus counts against the total number of injuries that can be removed in a day.

Get Savage!
Prerequisites: Taskmaster
At-Will – Extended Action
Target: Your Pokemon with at least 2 Tutor Points
Effect: the target loses 2 Tutor Points and gains one of the following abilities: Cruelty, Unnerve, Pressure. Get Savage! May only be used once per pokemon

Press On!
Static
Prerequisites: Taskmaster, Get Savage!
Effect: Your pokemon that have been affected by Get Savage! Gain a CS in the stat of your choosing every time you inflict a negative CS as a Lashing.

Strike of the Whip
Prerequisites: Taskmaster, Adept Intimidate
At-Will – Standard Action
Effect: You physically lash out at your pokemon, breaking it free of an ailment it suffers from. Inflict one of the following on your pokemon to remove any status effect.
- Tick of HP
- Drain 1 AP
- Spend 4 AP

Pain Resistance
Prerequisites: Taskmaster, Adept Intimidate
1 AP – Free Action
Trigger: Your pokemon with 1 or more Lashings takes damage
Effect: Your pokemon gains Damage Reduction against the triggering attack equal to it’s Tick Value multiplied by the number of Lashings it has. This may be triggered once per scene per pokemon.

Desperate Strike
Prerequisites: Get Savage! Expert Intimidate
Daily x2 – Free Action
Trigger: Your pokemon lands a critical hit.
Effect: Your pokemon may transfer any number of its Lashings to the target.

Deadly Gambit:
Prerequisites: 5 Taskmaster Features, Master Intimidate:
Daily – Free Action
Effect: for the remainder of the scene, two of your pokemon have three of their stats set at +6 CS, and have the rest of their stats lowered to -6 CS. Your pokemon ignores 1 step of resistance when dealing damage, but resists all damage taken by one step less. Your Pokemon loses any immunities has (Ground to Electric, Ghost to Normal, Steel to Poison, etc.)

Change Log
- From 1.0
o Clarified that any Lashing Injury does not also inflict a negative Combat Stage
o Corrected an error in the Lashings mechanic (the “9 or more lashings” line was unfinished)
- From 1.1
o Actually added the ability to apply lashings to the class (oops)
- From 1.2
o Added a ‘gotcha’ clause to Lashings mechanic, preventing the stacking of ‘infinite’ lashings through the use of Press On!

Trickster Rewrite V1.0

Trickster
[Class]
Prerequisites: Novice Guile
Spend 1 AP – Standard Action
Effect: Your Pokemon’s next Status Class Move Automatically hits.

And Then Some
Static, [Ranked 4]
Rank 1 Prerequisites: Trickster, Adept Guile
Rank 2 Prerequisites: Expert Guile
Rank 3 Prerequisites: Master Guile
Effect: Pick 4 Types, your pokemon’s moves of those types that do not have an Effect gain a status effect with an effect range of 18+. The Status effect is determined by the type of the Move, consult the table below. Moves given a Status effect by this feature, DO NOT COUNT for the purposes of activating ANYTHING. Each rank you take in this feature allows you to pick 4 additional types.

Bag Of Tricks
Static, [Ranked 3]
Rank 1 Prerequisites: Trickster, Adept Guile
Rank 2 Prerequisites: Expert Guile
Rank 3 Prerequisites: Master Guile
Effect: Pick 1 Move and 1 Ability off the list below, you may tutor these moves and abilities onto your pokemon for 2 tutor points, regardless of if the pokemon could normally acquire the Move/Ability.

Salt in the Wound
Prerequisites: Master Guile, And Then Some Rank 2, Bag of Tricks Rank 2
Shift Action – 2 AP
Effect: The next time your pokemon hits with a Status class move, the target loses a tick of HP

EDIT: A wonderful person made a table for me. so now it's pretty!

Type
Status Condition

Normal
Flinch

Fire
Burn

Water
Accuracy Penalty

Electric
Paralyze

Grass
Leech Seed

Ice
Frozen

Fighting
Resolve damage with lower Defense

Poison
Poisoned

Ground
Trapped

Flying
Optional Defog

Psychic
Confusion

Bug
Stuck

Rock
Rock type moves are 1 step more super effective

Ghost
Disable Random Move

Dragon
Initiative is set to 5 below user

Dark
Trap a move (Next time move is used foe loses tick of HP)

Steel
Move gains skill die of armor penetration

Fairy
Sleep

EDIT: a beautiful table appeared!

Moves
Abilities

Punishment
Infiltrator

Snatch
Prankster

Thief
Pressure

Sucker Punch
Unnerve

Topsy-Turvey
Aftermath

Switcheroo
Ambush

Perish Song
Bad Dreams

Pain Split
Cursed Body

Pain Split
Effect Spore

Powder
Frisk

Memento
Interference

Parting Shot
Magic Bounce

Beat Up
Pickpocket

Taunt
Synchronize

Trick Room

Fighting Ace Rewrite V1.2

Versatile Style
Prerequisites: Fighting as Chosen Type Ace
Bind 2 AP, shift action
Effect: Your pokemon channels their fighting spirit and orients their body so as to alter how they fight… they count as a different type for the purposes of calculating resistances and vulnerabilities, To change stances requires the trainer unbind and rebind this feature, and the pokemon to use their shift action
- Mind Over Matter – Count as Psychic Type
- Iron Body – Count as Steel Type, Requires Moment of Clarity
- One with the Void – Count as Ghost type, Requires Face me, Whelp!
- Over the Moon – Count as Dragon Type, Requires Kaioken!

Moment of Clarity
Prerequisites: Previous Feature, Type linked skill at Adept
Daily, interrupt
Effect: Your Target Fighting Type Pokemon’s Fighting Type move that hits deals damage as if it were a critical hit

Face me, Whelp!
Prerequisites: Previous 2 Features, Type linked skill at Expert
Bind 4 AP
Effect: Target opponent pokemon cannot be switched out or use the Disengage maneuver

Kaioken!
Prerequisites: previous 3 features, type linked skill at Master
Dailyx2
Effect: Once Per Pokemon per day, The Target Pokemon increases all of its stats by 2 combat stages at the end of each of its turns. At the end of each round, the pokemon gains an injury. This Effect can be ended on any turn by the trainer or the pokemon. When this effect is ended, any positive combat stages are reversed (+4 stages becomes -4 stages), these negative stages are removed at the rate of 1 per round, this process cannot be accelerated by any means (i.e. if you use Work UP, it fails)
- Example:
o Round 1 - Lucario used Kaioken!
 Lucario gained +2 CS in all stats
• Lucario gained an injury
o Round 2 – Lucario continues using Kaioken
 Lucario gained +2 CS in all stats (total of 4)
• Lucario gained an injury
o Round 3 – Lucario ends Kaioken
 Lucario gains – 8 CS in all stats (total of -4)
o Round 4 – Lucario recovers 1 CS in all stats (total of -3)
o And so on

Change Log

From 1.0
- “one with the void” – confirmed as ghost type
- Changed “stances” feature to require other features to unlock more stances
From 1.1
- Changed “Auto-Crit” to “Moment of Clarity” (Name change only) – removed note about being salvaged from Smashing Punishment.
- Removed “Technique” from “Iron Body” (Iron Body Technique Stance felt… wrong.)
- Changed “Stances” to “Stance Change” (Name change only) – still work in progress
o Changed “Stance Change” to “Versatile Style” – removed WIP tag
From 1.2
- Changed Typo in Versatile Style created by Auto-crit to Moment of Clarity Name change in 1.2
- Added “per day” to first line of Kaioken

Psychic Ace Rewrite V1.1

Force of Will
Prerequisites: Psychic as Chosen Type Ace
1 AP – Swift Action
Effect: Your Psychic-Type Pokemon gains a Combat Stage in Special Defense or Special Attack. You may only spend AP in this manner once per pokemon, per turn.

Psionic Sponge
Prerequisties: Force of Will, Type linked skill at Adept
Scene – Full Action
Effect: Your Psychic Type Pokemon may forfeit their turn to target anyone with a number of meters equal to your type linked skill. Your Pokemon and the target roll opposed Focus Checks. If your pokemon wins the opposed check, they may copy a single Move, Feature, Edge, or Ability from the target for the rest of the scene. This can include trainers. If your pokemon loses, nothing happens, but the usage is still expended.

Psionic Resonance
Prerequisites: Type linked skill at Expert
Bind 2 + X AP – Shift Action, Interrupt
Target: Your Psychic Pokemon and one other Trainer or Pokemon within 20 meters
Effect: Any time a change occurs in either target, you may bind an additional AP to have that change occur in the other target. The change lasts for as long as the extra AP remains bound, you may cease resonating as a standard action, which refunds all AP and undoes any changes made by this feature.
Example: Kadabra vs. Pyroar.
- Kadabra’s Trainer Binds 2 AP to have Kadabra begin resonating with Pyroar
o Pyroar uses Work up, gaining a Combat Stage in Attack and Special Attack
- Kadabra’s Trainer Binds 1 AP (total of 3) to have Kadbara’s Attack and Special Attack go up by 1 stage.
o Pyroar uses Toxic and Badly Poisons Kadabra
- Kadabra’s trainer binds 1 AP (total of 4) to have Pyroar Badly Poisoned as well.

MindBreak
Prerequisites: All other Psychic-Ace Features, Type linked skill at Master
Dailyx2 – Full Action
Target: 1 Pokemon,
Effect: Your Psychic Type Pokemon uses a full round action and breaks the target’s mind, the first 6 moves on their sheet are Disabled. If the target knows more than 6 moves, the excess are unaffected and may be used normally. At the beginning of each round, roll a d6, the corresponding move is no longer disabled. If a move is rolled that is already no longer disabled, roll again until a disabled move is selected.

Change Log
- From 1.0
o Changed Force of will from Bind X AP and Special Defense only to Spend 1 AP, increase either Special stat
o Clarified Mind Break to require a Psychic Type pokmeon on the field

Pokemaniac
Prerequisites: Adept Pokémon Education
At-Will – Standard Action
Target: A Pokémon
Effect: Make a Pokémon Education Check, consult the table below, you learn all information for your check result and below

DC 10 – Learn Pokémon’s Typing
DC 13 – Learn Pokémon’s Nature
DC 17 – Learn Pokémon’s Abilities
DC 20 – Learn Pokémon’s Level

Niiohontesha
2017-06-13, 01:14 AM
This is fabulous! Do you mind if I use some of these for the campaign I'm running?

Also:

Type
Status Condition

Normal
Flinch

Fire
Burn

Water
Accuracy Penalty

Electric
Paralyze

Grass
Leech Seed

Ice
Frozen

Fighting

Poison
Poisoned

Ground
Trapped

Flying
Optional Defog

Psychic
Confusion

Bug
Stuck

Rock

Ghost
Disable Random Move

Dragon

Dark

Steel

Fairy
Sleep

Type
Status Condition

Normal
Flinch

Fire
Burn

Water
Accuracy Penalty

Electric
Paralyze

Grass
Leech Seed

Ice
Frozen

Fighting

Poison
Poisoned

Ground
Trapped

Flying
Optional Defog

Psychic
Confusion

Bug
Stuck

Rock

Ghost
Disable Random Move

Dragon

Dark

Steel

Fairy
Sleep

Might I suggest a couple of changes? I don't want to be a hassle and I'm not by any means demanding these be chances but it seems some of the effects are a hassle to memorize and as a dm I think I'd prefer simplified ones. Only because combat is so clunky already.

Water could instead activate aqua ring to give you a tick of hp per turn.
I love the choice for fighting to choose the lower defense for attack resolution.
Flying could lower accuracy (dust in eyes)
Rock could activate stealth rock for free. gaining 1 step of super effective each time used is majorly over powered.
Ghost should disable a move of your choosing but only once per scene.
Dark could flinch too, you can use it twice. Plus, flinch is mean so why not ;D.
Steel could raise defense or attack 1 combat stage... but I'm not so sure about that one, what do you think?

Moves
Abilities

Punishment
Infiltrator

Snatch
Prankster

Thief
Pressure

Sucker Punch
Unnerve

Topsy-Turvey
Aftermath

Switcheroo
Ambush

Perish Song
Bad Dreams

Pain Split
Cursed Body

Pain Split
Effect Spore

Powder
Frisk

Memento
Interference

Parting Shot
Magic Bounce

Beat Up
Pickpocket

Taunt
Synchronize

Trick Room

Moves
Abilities

Punishment
Infiltrator

Snatch
Prankster

Thief
Pressure

Sucker Punch
Unnerve

Topsy-Turvey
Aftermath

Switcheroo
Ambush

Perish Song
Bad Dreams

Pain Split
Cursed Body

Pain Split
Effect Spore

Powder
Frisk

Memento
Interference

Parting Shot
Magic Bounce

Beat Up
Pickpocket

Taunt
Synchronize

Trick Room

big teej
2017-06-13, 07:47 PM
ooooh pretty tables! :smallbiggrin:

you go right ahead and use these however you see fit, if you make changes to it, let me know how they worked out. I'm always happy to hear outside input.

I'll also pass along your suggestions to co-conspirators and see what they think.

Niiohontesha
2017-06-14, 01:11 AM
Thanks man!

Happy to help =D