PDA

View Full Version : The Hounds of Baskerville (Pugmire IC)

josienoms
2017-06-06, 09:26 AM
A storm raged over the city of Pugmire, leaving most sensible Dogs indoors. As the lightning flashes and thunder rumbles far overhead, a single old Mutt runs through the rain. His paws splash through the puddles, as he draws his heavy dark green cloak closer to his body. His ears are flattened against his head, and he lets out a small whine. He'd never done well with storms, after all. Still, his mission was far too important to let his fears get to him. Was he not, after all, a Good Dog?

The stranger finds his way to to the Dirty Bowl, a tavern in the northern part of town that's known as a haven for adventurers and Free Dogs. He opens the door, cautiously poking his head inside, despite the raucous noise within. But, glad to be out of the rain, he steps inside, and shakes the water from his coat. The old Mutt draws back his hood, revealing himself to the tavern. He has black fur, with plentiful gray around his muzzle. It's clear he's got some Terrier blood, but of what kind, it's impossible to say.

He glances over the crowd, scanning until a look of recognition comes over his face. He carefully walks over to your table, and bows his head politely.

"Greetings, noble warriors. Thank Man I've found you at last! You are Sir Percival Pug and his companions, yes? My name is Indy Mutt, and I've traveled a long way to meet you."

He reaches a paw inside his cloak, and pulls out a scroll, bearing the seal of the Basset-Hounds.

"My Lady, the Duchess Basset-Hound, has tasked me to deliver this message to you."

Indy holds out the scroll in one shaking, ancient paw.

ChaosArchon
2017-06-06, 01:55 PM
Percival smiles at the other dog, he braved quite the storm to deliver this message. Truly this messenger was one of the Good Dogs. "You must be tired from your travels, here take my seat while I read the message. Help yourself to my water bowl too, it just got filled."

As the messenger gives him the message, Percival Pug reads it both to himself and out loud (but not too loud, that would be rude) to his companions.

Kell_tamer
2017-06-06, 02:47 PM
Waffles leans in with interest. Not actually a warrior but a scholar, his curiosity was piqued.

josienoms
2017-06-06, 11:02 PM
Indy gratefully accepts Percival's offer, and laps quietly at the bowl of water.

The message, which the Pug knight reads aloud, says:

"My dear Sir Percival,

I regret to inform you that I am in dire need of assistance. The Dogs who live in my lands are stricken with fear. They don't go outside at night, they're afraid to leave their homes. The final rest of my citizens has been disturbed by a series of robbed graves. My people are convinced that the Church is haunted, and seem to be losing their faith in Man.

I have attempted to have my town guards solve this problem, but those who return from watching the graveyard say they saw nothing. The others are, I'm sad to say, presumed dead. I need the help of heroes, Sir Percival, so I must ask that you and your companions come to Baskerville posthaste. You will, of course, be rewarded handsomely for your efforts.

Yours,
Duchess Roxanne Basset-Hound."

AlinaMacLeod
2017-06-07, 12:39 AM
Griffin listens in silence as Percival reads the letter, staring down at her folded paws. Once he's finished, she looks up at him and says, "Innocent dogs are being terrorized? Well... I don't know about the rest of you, but that is something I cannot abide." She glances at the others before looking back down at her paws. "And I suppose it'll be worth our while."

Obscurejones
2017-06-07, 06:41 PM
Sipping from a small cup of milk, Cur glares at the courier.
"How do we know the messages provenance is genuine? It could be a trap. Or at the least a misdirection."
He sets the cup down surprisingly gently for such a massive dog.

josienoms
2017-06-10, 10:13 PM
Waffles is unable to determine if the seal truly is genuine. For all he knows, it could be, but it could also be fake. There's no way of telling.

Meanwhile, Percival is entirely, 100 percent sure, that this message was written by the Duchess. Her script is very distinct, and he recognizes it instantly.

The courier glances up from his drink at Cur, frowning thoughtfully. His shoulders slump, and he seems to visibly deflate.

"I'm sure you mean no disrespect, young pup, but you seem to be insinuating that I'm a Bad Dog..."

Obscurejones
2017-06-10, 10:24 PM
"It was not unintended. I have no reason to trust you. And your missive leads us into danger."

AlinaMacLeod
2017-06-11, 03:00 PM
Griffin glances at Cur, her look disapproving. "Be that as it may," she says quietly, "you could stand to be a bit more tactful..." She turns her attention to Indy, smiling apologetically. "Sorry about him. As I said, I feel that I cannot sit by idly as dogs are in danger... though, my friend here does have a point. It would be unwise to race recklessly towards danger without being certain that the message you bear is genuine."

Griffin studies the message briefly, before looking between Percival and Waffles. "What are your thoughts?" she asks, looking back at the message.

ChaosArchon
2017-07-26, 11:24 PM
Percival yawns in a puggish way, "No, this message is definitely from the Duchess. I say we leave as soon as we can and ride to her aid, Good Dogs are in trouble!"

Kell_tamer
2017-07-27, 02:15 PM
Waffles strokes his facial fluff. His voice has a bit of a squeak to it. "Whether or not it is ,it should be investigated.... After all good dogs don't ignore messages."

He nods sagely before adjusting his glasses upon his snout.