PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite word?

Jimp
2007-08-03, 02:10 PM
What is your favourite word?

Mine is Squaloid, an adjective which describes something as being like or pertaining to a shark or sharks

Lord Herman
2007-08-03, 02:17 PM
I think my favourite word is to defenestrate - the act of throwing something or someone out of a window.

bosssmiley
2007-08-03, 02:42 PM
I think my favourite word is to defenestrate - the act of throwing something or someone out of a window.

Can we disallow defenestrate now please? Everyone loves that word, and it wouldn't be fair to all the others. Like:

squamous (scaly, with connotations of also being slick and slimy)
sonorous
malignant
polyphony
byzantine
sinople (means red and also green)
Gdansk
fudge
glom

and

harbl (it's my favourite by a mile. Harbl makes me happy :smallbiggrin: )

Arameus
2007-08-03, 02:43 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedalian, the only word that can properly describe my greatness.

MountainKing
2007-08-03, 02:48 PM

Also applicable for throwing something/one from a great height :smallamused:

Lately, my favorite word has been exacerbate; to make something and/or a present situation much worse.

ufo
2007-08-03, 02:49 PM
whack

It's the god of words, liek ttly roxxzors! Really, there's a comfortable feel in my mouth when I say it, much like schmack.

Also, I agree, let's disallow defenestrate, it's cliché by now.

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylproly lserylglutaminyl-
phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyl tryptophylalanyl-
aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparag inylvalylcysteinyl-
threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminy lphenylalanyl-
glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginy lthreonylthreonyl-
glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylser ylglutaminylvalyl-
tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminyls erylthreonylvalyl-
arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosy llysylvalyltyrosyl-
arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartyl prolylleucylisoleucyl-
threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalan ylaspartylthreonyl-
arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamy lvalylglutamyl-
asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonyl threonylalanylglutamyl-
threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginyl valylaspartylaspartyl-
alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalan ylasparaginylisoleucyl-
asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylval ylarginylglycyl-
threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylas paraginylthreonyl-
phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucy lvalyltryptophyl-
threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine The longest word in English, 'cause I know someone will do it.

EDIT: Note that I editted my favourite word, because I found it was indeed not my favourite word.

Vuzzmop
2007-08-03, 02:52 PM
Tuft. Nuff said.

rashambo
2007-08-03, 02:54 PM
Yambag is by far my favorite word

rollfrenzy
2007-08-03, 02:58 PM
My favorite word?

yes.

But only in certain situations...:smallwink:

Lord Herman
2007-08-03, 03:03 PM
There's another word I really like, but I've forgotten what it was :smallredface: It's an unnecessarily long word for 'unnecessarily long word'.

adanedhel9
2007-08-03, 03:11 PM
The first thing that comes to mind:

Carrion

I know, a weird choice, but I just like how it sounds.

ufo
2007-08-03, 03:12 PM
There's another word I really like, but I've forgotten what it was :smallredface: It's an unnecessarily long word for 'unnecessarily long word'.

The best I could find was 'Logorrhoea', which means 'an excessive flow of words' , which is not quite what you're talking about.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-03, 03:34 PM
Immolate
though i rarely get a chance to use it.

Wayril
2007-08-03, 03:36 PM
I like the word chillax. I know it's not a word just yet (as in not in the dictionary), but i'll be suprised if it's not one within the next 20 years.

CrazedGoblin
2007-08-03, 03:38 PM
i like the word "Cannister" not sure why though hehe:smallbiggrin:

Ranis
2007-08-03, 03:38 PM
Antidisestablismentarianism, of course.

bosssmiley
2007-08-03, 03:42 PM
Can we have proper nouns as words? Coz then I'd probably have Ranis.

Handed right you could spam peoples threads up goooood with that. :smallwink:
"Ranis! Ranis! Ranis! Ranis! Ranis! Ranis! Ranis!" etc, etc.

Semidi
2007-08-03, 03:44 PM
Superfluous.

Use superfluous superfluously and those around you will un-superfluously question your superfluous display of vocabulary.

MountainKing
2007-08-03, 03:54 PM
Antidisestablismentarianism, of course.

The only thing better is to behave antidisestablishmentarianistically. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2007-08-03, 03:57 PM
If we're ruling out defenestrate, then I'll toss out GALLIMAUFRY (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Gallimaufry).

Castaras
2007-08-03, 04:01 PM
Words I like...

Disestablishmentarianism.

Simply because it sounds cool.

And Yoink. Yoink is awesome.

Lykan
2007-08-03, 04:04 PM
And Yoink. Yoink is awesome.

Seconded..

Lord Herman
2007-08-03, 04:05 PM
Thirded. Especially in combination with other words. The thread about Vader versus Voldemort had me lauging out loud about the idea of 'Force-yoinking' objects.

Tirian
2007-08-03, 04:06 PM
My favorite word is phenomenon. It's all Jim Henson's fault.

Although superfluous is also a great word. So are disingenuous, paraphrenalia, and praxis. My sister-in-law believes that the most odious word is moist, and I think that she might be right.

Mephibosheth
2007-08-03, 04:10 PM
My favorite word is actually a German word. It is, if I remember aright:

Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswe rkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft.

In English, it translates to "association for subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services."

Castaras
2007-08-03, 04:13 PM
Thirded. Especially in combination with other words. The thread about Vader versus Voldemort had me lauging out loud about the idea of 'Force-yoinking' objects.

Force-Yoinking.

*Goes and searches for thread*

TamerBill
2007-08-03, 04:15 PM
The best word ever is 'morass', as in an area of swampy ground. There can be no argument in this matter.

emperor_mai
2007-08-03, 04:17 PM
My fave word? I'd have to say...morbid obesity. heh. Why is morbid even in there? morbid obesity...

Penguinsushi
2007-08-03, 04:28 PM
Hmm. I'm quite partial to "serendipitous".

And I suppose brobdingnagian should be on the list of great words as well...

~PS

SweetLikeLemons
2007-08-03, 04:28 PM
Today, my favorite word is frabjous. Not only is it wonderfully silly, it is fun to say, and I like the way it looks when I type it. Frabjous.

emperor_mai
2007-08-03, 04:31 PM
Today, my favorite word is frabjous. Not only is it wonderfully silly, it is fun to say, and I like the way it looks when I type it. Frabjous.

Oh I'd think you'll also like fantasmo-gorical.

Zherog
2007-08-03, 04:35 PM
My fave word? I'd have to say...morbid obesity. heh. Why is morbid even in there? morbid obesity...

That's two words. :smallwink:

Amotis
2007-08-03, 04:36 PM
I have two favorite words:

Indeed.

Looooongcat.

That is all.

emperor_mai
2007-08-03, 04:37 PM
That's two words. :smallwink:

I suppose if I hyphen it...

Eldan
2007-08-03, 04:38 PM
Difficult. I'll have to split it up. Also, I'll only consider english words.

Adjective: Lugubrious. Although I forgot what it meant. I just remembered it because a friend used it in a conversation and our english teacher claimed it didn't exist until we proved her wrong with a dictionary.

Verb: Piratize. How can you beat that? FLCL is awesome.

hippie_dwarf
2007-08-03, 04:39 PM
It has to be Flocinocinilapafilification. I'm no sure what it means or even if it's a word but it cool and a b***h to say.

There were two other word me and my firends made up geography one day, one meaning 'to do something' and the other 'a fish mongers uncle' but i can't remember the actual words. Man we were bored.

Shatteredtower
2007-08-03, 04:45 PM
If we're ruling out defenestrate, then I'll toss out GALLIMAUFRY (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Gallimaufry).Ah, Zherog, you speak my language. That's among my favourites as well, and one of the many reasons I like the Foglios' works.

Another of my favourite words is gynotikolobomassophile, though there's something about hydrophobophobia that intrigues me.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-08-03, 04:45 PM
Oh I'd think you'll also like fantasmo-gorical.

Yes, that is also a pretty good word. I like it better spelled with a "ph" though.

Ego Slayer
2007-08-03, 04:54 PM
Firstly, and I say this solely on an assumption, Dwarf, if you're trying to post, and it seems to be lagging, DON'T click submit again. It'll eventually post, even if the page doesn't turn back over to the thread.

Anyway, I can't think of all my favorite words... :smallconfused:
I'm rather fond of "ephemeral" and "kvetch." =)

Shatteredtower
2007-08-03, 04:55 PM
Floccinaucinihilipilification means "categorizing as worthless trivia", Hippie_dwarf. I hope you'll pardon me for correcting your spelling.

I forgot another favourite: zugszwang. Yes, it's originally German and almost exclusively used outside that language as a chess term, but the fact that it has been used to describe political situations as well as chess (and is limited in application to neither) makes it as English as sushi or verandah. :smallwink: The word doesn't even simplify down to its literal translation ("compulsion to move"), because it implies something greater -- the fact that everything would be just fine if you had the option of doing nothing in response to one or more threats.

emperor_mai
2007-08-03, 04:58 PM
Yes, that is also a pretty good word. I like it better spelled with a "ph" though.

oooooooh way too sugary. like eating candycoated puppies.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-08-03, 05:02 PM
My favourite word has to be sassafras, because it is impossible to say without laughing.

A close runner up is sarsaparilla, because it's fun to say and is written with more sylabals than it's said with.

Zherog
2007-08-03, 05:06 PM
Ah, Zherog, you speak my language. That's among my favourites as well, and one of the many reasons I like the Foglios' works.

:smallgrin: I learned it from a baseball blog dedicated to getting Joe Morgan fired as lead analyst from ESPN. I'd link it, but it uses a lot of words Santa doesn't approve of and would probably make your grandma frown...

LCR
2007-08-03, 05:08 PM
Bumfluff and maybe necrosis.

The Demented One
2007-08-03, 05:12 PM
Circumlocution is probably my favorite, followed by glossolalia and echolalia.

InaVegt
2007-08-03, 05:33 PM
Blubber is an awesome word, even though it's dutch and not english.

Blubber.

Delaney Gale
2007-08-03, 06:02 PM
My favorite word is sadly both Japanese and obscene.

As far as English goes, I'm partial to quixotic, used to describe something or someone visionary, impractical, or extravagantly chivalrous, much in the manner of Don Quixote.

It also racks up the points in Scrabble.

AslanCross
2007-08-03, 06:11 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/castigate

Nomrom
2007-08-03, 06:27 PM
I really like the words that are actually three words combined into one, such as heretofore, nevertheless, nonetheless. I like to think that using them makes me sound smart.

My sister-in-law believes that the most odious word is moist, and I think that she might be right.

Me and my friends also came to that conclusion. Your sister-in-law wouldn't happen to live in Texas, would she?

Cyrano
2007-08-03, 06:35 PM
Can we disallow defenestrate now please? Everyone loves that word, and it wouldn't be fair to all the others. Like:

squamous (scaly, with connotations of also being slick and slimy)
sonorous
malignant
polyphony
byzantine
sinople (means red and also green)
Gdansk
fudge
glom

and

harbl (it's my favourite by a mile. Harbl makes me happy :smallbiggrin: )

Is it bad that I know what every single one of those words means without dictionaries or other aids?
Because it feels oh so right...

In other news, I like "serenity". Because it's both a cooler word for peace and because Joss Whedon ate my childhood.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-08-03, 06:57 PM
I have this strange obsession with the combination of letters "woob". I have never heard this word used before and can only assume it may be the omnomotopoia of jelly jiggling. It probably didn't exist until I thought of it.

Trauco
2007-08-03, 08:00 PM
My favorite words, separated by language, because i love how they sound, and i love what they mean: (obviosly using Revised Romanization for their spelling)

Einfühlung - German, it loosely translates as "Empathy", but to really understand it you got to read Abstraktion und Einfühlung, by Wilhelm Worringer

Arete - Greek, It's a mix between being the best you can be, honor, authority, and a lot of other virtues (it can even mean "virtue"), best example Iliad, by Homer

Synergy - English, refers to the phenomenon in which two or more discrete influences or agents acting together create an effect greater than that predicted by knowing only the separate effects of the individual agents

Hwarang - Korean, "Flower Knights" and old elite of warriors, also a Taekwon-Do pattern ("tuls" in Korean, equivalent to the kata in karate) named in honor of them, it's my favorite "tul" because when you end it, you got to say Hwarang!! (Hw = to Ph in english)

Sublime - Spanish, beauty capable of take away your rationality, even causing pain because it's imposible to comprehend. I think it means the same in english and spanish, but i like the spanish pronunciation better for this one.

But if you make me choose one, i stick with Hwarang!

Cyrano
2007-08-03, 08:03 PM
I always thought Arete was creative spark. I guess from Mage: The Ascension. Thank you for that definition, btw.

Trauco
2007-08-03, 08:14 PM
Yeah it struck me kinda odd when i played Mage, but it also made sense that better mages had higher Arete. (tho i played Mage the Crusade, not the Ascension)

MountainKing
2007-08-03, 09:45 PM
as English as sushi or verandah.

"Where would the Queen get a word like veranda?"

Sisqui
2007-08-03, 09:56 PM
I like diaphanous:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/diaphanous

Also, disingenuous:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/disingenuous

Vonriel
2007-08-03, 11:19 PM
I've always been a fan of hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, for the sheer irony - it's a fear of long words. :smallwink:

However, I think my favorite word is syllable. Unfortunately, I can't really describe why, because the only way I can think of to define it requires using the word itself, which is actually probably why I like it so much. :smallbiggrin:

bugsysservant
2007-08-03, 11:28 PM
Do different pluralities count as different words? If so, octopoda would be up there for me. Nothing pisses me off like someone saying octopi.

I also like pedantic. Its the stereotypical "smart word" due largely to a family guy quote (Lois, I find this meatloaf shallow and pedantic), but its surprisingly useful.

Finally, someone had to mention peripatetic, because if the English language lacked the phrase "pair of pathetic peripatetics" it would be a much sadder language.

Ooh, and meme. Its fun to say, talk about, and write. And don't get me started on memetic...

Edit:

If I had a nickle for every funny look I have recieved when I said "oh frabjous day, calooh, callay" I would be a much wealthier person.

Yet another Edit!!!! (yes I do read Terry Pratchett, the quote holds true.): Oh, almost forgot "Schadenfreude" I once handed in a major paper for a psychology unit on how the topic exhibited extensive schadenfreude only to have it returned with the first usage circled and a note saying "I don't know what that means". But I got an A, so...

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-03, 11:43 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious.
That's not a real word, but I love it.

I spelled it right, right?

Well, my favorite real word is grandeur.
I just think it's a cool word.

averagejoe
2007-08-03, 11:50 PM
Wow, toughie. There's tons of words I like.

Salvo is definitely up there. It just sounds cool (In the "cool action hero" sense.) It starts with that strong SAL, and it fades out just the right amount as it ends. Plus it has a great cadence for sounding strong.

Arameus
2007-08-04, 12:32 AM
Another favorite of mine is 'steakhammer.'

Make your own assumptions.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-04, 01:22 AM
MMmm steak....

Favorite word to use: 'astute'. It sounds condescending yet intelligent.

Favorite word to hear: 'food'

zeratul
2007-08-04, 01:25 AM
Well the word fugly, has got to be high on the list.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-08-04, 02:18 AM
Here's a few I kinda like.

Alphanumeric
Slipstream
Egomaniacle
Scrumtrelescent

Just to name a few.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-04, 02:21 AM
Here's a few I kinda like.

Scrumtrelescent

That is second place in my list of favorite words. That and Rhinoceratorial.

Orzel
2007-08-04, 02:56 AM
Madness

I've been yelling that word and injuring people for 10 years now.
I got some of my best quotes with it

"What is this madness? Where's the mustard?"
"Madness level 10 this is."
and my fav

"THIS LEVEL OF MADNESS SHALL NOT GO UNPUNISHED! PREPARE TO BE HORIZONTAL!"

Conrad Poohs
2007-08-06, 01:50 AM
My favourite word is inebriation - it gives such a classy air to something that is quite the opposite.
A close 2nd place goes to mastication - no clever reason why, it's just 'cause it sounds similar to masturbation.

Keymort
2007-08-06, 06:36 AM
I like the word Strumpet.

As in, Ellen you fat strumpet!!!

It's one of Shakespears true master-pieces.

I h8 Shakespear... His tradgeties are all incredibly boring.

blackfox
2007-08-06, 06:42 AM
My favorite word would have to be 'interesting' and all associated derogatory and sarcastic connotations.

Serpentine
2007-08-06, 07:37 AM
>points at own name<
also sinuous
strumpet is, indeed, an excellent word. But please tell me you didn't just write "h8" :smallconfused:
Jezebel's another one I like... and miasma. And serendipity. Try saying any word over and over, though, and it just sounds more and more wrong...

Ikkitosen
2007-08-06, 07:42 AM
"Ergo" is one of my favourite words.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-08-06, 07:45 AM
*agrees with Serpie; especially about Strumpet*

I like a lot of words from Terry Pratchett eg Librarian-poo; effervenscent (fizzy to other people); constabulary; misappropriation; there are others but they are elegant ways of saying common things.
Oh, and elegant.
There're some words I like from Ivanhoe and a few other books but I can't remember.

smellie_hippie
2007-08-06, 08:06 AM
Fluffy. It's just fun to say.

Circuitous. It has a nice loopy, lost-but-not-going-to-ask-for-directions kinda feel.

Psychopharmacological. Just to get in on the "big word" discussion.

Neon Knight
2007-08-06, 08:17 AM
Furtive. Means stealthy. Like, The Kasrkin furtively placed a box of donuts inside the picnic basket.

I also like Eldritch. That the eldritch witch was a real...

PlatinumJester
2007-08-06, 09:52 AM
Muchluchs. Pronounced Mucklucks.

Wonderpus
2007-08-06, 10:11 AM
I like diaphanous:
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/diaphanous

Ah, that's a good one. :smallsmile:

I also particularly like stygian, not because I'm dark and gloomy, but the etymology is cool (from the river Styx).

valadil
2007-08-06, 11:53 AM
Sorry, but I'm not picking just one.

Stank (as a noun, not as a past tense verb)
Treachery
Flaccid
Mu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29)

Chris the Pontifex
2007-08-07, 05:47 PM
Blubber is an awesome word, even though it's dutch and not english.

Blubber.

It's an english word too. Its what they call the fat from whales (I think)

mine would be suave even though its really a french word

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-07, 05:49 PM
I love the word "pamphlet" since it contains the syllable "pamph".

To a lesser extent I also like "ointment", for the syllable "oint".

Chris the Pontifex
2007-08-07, 05:52 PM
I love the word "pamphlet" since it contains the syllable "pamph".

are you sure? I thought it was pam-phlet, although that makes less sense now that I think about it

BrokenButterfly
2007-08-07, 06:30 PM
are you sure? I thought it was pam-phlet, although that makes less sense now that I think about it

It is a tricky one to divide up, either way you do it, one of the syllables turns out interesting. I think I prefer amusing sounds in my vocabulary, so I tend to go for these silly sounding words.

Pyro
2007-08-07, 07:36 PM
Well I can tell you what my least favorite word is. Gorgeous. Its supposed to mean beautiful but whenever I hear it I think of someone stuffing themselves.

Aeyamar
2007-08-07, 07:43 PM
I think my two favorite word is tied between "Blithering" and "Ubiquitous".

Gaelbert
2007-08-07, 07:44 PM
Defenestrate. Its such an awesome word.

Iethloc
2007-08-07, 08:32 PM
Manifestation...

I just love the way it sounds, as well as its meaning.

I also love Felidae...ooh! And Nimravidae!

I also like the word hyperbole. Especially "hyperbolic." I feel that that word is just not used often enough.

Oooh! and the name "Meskalamdug" also sounds awesome, along with "Gilgamesh." I love Sumerian and Babylonian names. And the word mythology!

And my favorite Spanish words would be...ciencias and embarazada. I love the way they sound whenever I say them.

BooBooSpooki
2007-08-07, 08:36 PM
Indubitably (http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=indubitably)

Shatteredtower
2007-08-07, 10:42 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpeialidocious.
That's not a real word, but I love it.Actually, yes, it is. I've only found supercalifragilisticexpialidocious defined in Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary, but once she broke it down the syllables, it tranlates roughly as: "atoning for a fragile state of great beauty while being educable."

phoenixineohp
2007-08-07, 11:20 PM
Right now, all that is coming to mind is Squishy.
It makes me giggle. :smallbiggrin:

Tither makes me smile each time to, though it is far to rare.

V You reminded me of one I forgot. Spleen.

Bleen
2007-08-07, 11:29 PM
My favorite word?

Anonymous.

Take that as you will.

Serpentine
2007-08-08, 12:21 AM
I've just decided that "vehemenent", "vehemenency", etc, rule.

Conrad Poohs
2007-08-21, 05:28 AM
Aye, but it will never be as good as "inebriation", or the close second, "mastication" :smallbiggrin: I love inebriation because it gives such a sophisticated feel to something that is quite the opposite. "Avuncular" would have to be next on the podium, as it means "Uncle-like" :smallconfused:

However, these words would be relegated to 3rd, 4th and 5th if I knew the words to which the following definitions belong... Apparently there is a word used to describe people who swallow their bathwater. Strange, no? Actually, "no" is correct when that word is compared to the one that describes people who drink OTHER people's bathwater. :smallconfused: :smallconfused: wtf??!

Ashtar
2007-08-21, 05:49 AM
These days, "knackered" seems to have stuck in my regular word channel.