PDA

View Full Version : This ability is identical: prerequisites?

Rebel7284
2017-06-06, 11:17 AM
Cloistered Cleric has:

Lore (Ex)
Thanks to long hours of study, a cloistered cleric has a wide range of stray knowledge. This ability is identical to the bard's bardic knowledge class feature, using the cloistered cleric's class level in place of the bard level.

Theorycrafting a Fochlucan Lyrist built, and was wondering if there is any precedent for or against using an ability with a different name [in this case Lore] but with rules setting it to be identical to a different ability [in this case Bardic Knowledge] to qualify for something.

If there is no precedent, how do YOU feel about it.

Fouredged Sword
2017-06-06, 11:25 AM
On my table I would allow it. It is not RAW though.

Necroticplague
2017-06-06, 11:27 AM
Cloistered Cleric has:

Theorycrafting a Fochlucan Lyrist built, and was wondering if there is any precedent for or against using an ability with a different name [in this case Lore] but with rules setting it to be identical to a different ability [in this case Bardic Knowledge] to qualify for something.

Nope. Lore isn't Bardic Knowledge. That's just telling you how it works. It just mentions Bardic Knowlege because it saves a lot of effort compared to writing out the whole thing.

Waker
2017-06-06, 11:42 AM
On my table I would allow it. It is not RAW though.

Same here. Though it's the same function, the name means it wouldn't work.

Hackulator
2017-06-06, 12:07 PM
Allowing anybody to get into Fochlucan Lyricist more easily is a terrible idea, so definitely no on my table. Also RAW clearly not.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-06, 02:38 PM
RAW, it does not work. RAI... I know I would allow it, and I suspect most non-computer GMs would too.

Gildedragon
2017-06-06, 02:45 PM
I'd allow it.
And depending on the situation I'd even allow an ACF that replaced Bardic Music to count

Jay R
2017-06-06, 02:47 PM
They are different abilities.

Once, the question came up: Who was the King of England that Joan of Arc led an army against?

My wife was a history major. Her answer was, "Well, she died in 1431, so that would be just after Henry V, so it must have been his son, Henry VI." That's the Lore skill.

I've never had a European history class, but I have read Shakespeare. So I said, "Henry VI, Part One." That's Bardic Knowledge.