PDA

View Full Version : Can a Druids detect animal spell detect a lycanthrope?

bchilders
2017-06-06, 02:07 PM
So I have a question:

In a campaign I'm running the party woke up and find their lair trashes by an animal (unknown to them it was the first transformation of one of the party who contracted lycanthropy). The Druid of the party correctly detected the type of animal from the damage done and cast detect animal which gives a lot of info about any animal of that kind around. My question is would it give off any funny reaction to the lycanthrope in the party if it was the animal form he just recently turned into?

Necroticplague
2017-06-06, 02:37 PM
So I have a question:

In a campaign I'm running the party woke up and find their lair trashes by an animal (unknown to them it was the first transformation of one of the party who contracted lycanthropy). The Druid of the party correctly detected the type of animal from the damage done and cast detect animal which gives a lot of info about any animal of that kind around. My question is would it give off any funny reaction to the lycanthrope in the party if it was the animal form he just recently turned into?

No. A lycanthrope is a Humanoid (Shapechanger) or a Giant (Shapechanger). In neither case is it an Animal. Even when in it's alternate form, this is still true (since Alternate Form keeps types and subtypes).

noob
2017-06-06, 02:43 PM
So I have a question:

Usually when someone asks a question in the thread title they ask again in the thread for maximum redundancy.
First: "You must think of a kind of animal or plant when using the spell" maybe the lycanthrope do not counts as being the same animal as the one it can turn into so if the druid cycle through common animals he might not find the lycanthrope.
Second:
Lycanthropes are humanoids or giants who can transform themselves into animals
So I guess they can count as animals.
But then the animal reign(all the fault to polymorph any object that mentions the animal reign) is a concept that exists in dnd 3.5 so detect animals can probably detect humans too(and Lycanthropes ) since they do not say "only detects animals of the animal type"
lycanthropes are always humanoids(no matter the shape) if the base creature was an humanoid.
So I do not think they count as animal animals but they certainly counts as creatures of the animal reign if it was made from an humanoid from the animal reign like an human.

Psyren
2017-06-06, 05:03 PM
Your druid could use Speak With Animals to interrogate any potential witnesses instead. It can be converted to Summon Nature's Ally if a combat situation calls for that instead.