PDA

View Full Version : Character Concepts You Love, Optimization Aside

Fayd
2017-06-06, 04:01 PM
Hey, y'all. I'm wondering if anyone has any character concepts they just adore, regardless of how "optimal" the concept is.

Personally I've always liked the idea of a Warforged Warlock. One, it is just fun to say, and two, it has a MegaMan feel that hits my nostalgia really well.

I also tend to stuff a Genasi into just about any role, given the chance.

Sirdar
2017-06-06, 04:53 PM
Hey, y'all. I'm wondering if anyone has any character concepts they just adore, regardless of how "optimal" the concept is.

Personally I've always liked the idea of a Warforged Warlock. One, it is just fun to say, and two, it has a MegaMan feel that hits my nostalgia really well.

A Halfling Champion with Soldier Background equipped with spear, shield, short sword and plate armor. A tactician with iron will and superb discipline. He is dead serious and never smiles. He is also very fat and constantly short of breath. But he never complains. He just try to follow his diet and lead his group to victory on the battlefield.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-06, 05:06 PM
Halfling Battlerager
Knightly nobleman Orc
Gnome Tempest Cleric was a ton of fun.
Dirty Fighter Street Rat who is actually just an Open Hand Monk/Rogue, Stunning Kick to the Junk!
Gatekeeper from Eberron ,Orc or Half Orc Druid, would be fun

Naanomi
2017-06-06, 05:09 PM
A broad concept, but in a big fan of a good dedicated healer conceptually. I know it isn't needed since 2e, I know it is a bad use of the action economy... but the idea of magically healing people is just cool, I like it.

In RPGs and video games, I even played a healing Paladin to level 99 in Diablo 2

Draco4472
2017-06-06, 05:12 PM
Anything that can do both melee combat and spellcasting is one of my favorites. Hunter Ranger/War Cleric and Paladin/Sorcerer in particular due to spells that can influence melee combat, like Hunter's Mark, Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, and Spirit Guardians.

Lombra
2017-06-06, 05:19 PM
Life cleric which is actually devout to a war diety, uses the power of healing to keep the fight going beyond the normal capabilities of his allies. Sometimes he'll heal enemies too just to shed some more blood.

The warlord crafted with a battlemaster and the inspiring leader feat is something that I want to play someday, Charisma above all other stats.

Vorok
2017-06-06, 05:29 PM

I'm basicaly the same, just with Half-Orcs (they're just so cute). I think half of my current character concepts are Half-Orc...

Half-Orc Bard (Valor) that grew up in a temple of a nature Goddess and starts adventuring at 16 years.
Half-Orc Rogue (Thief) that's more STR (grapples, climbing etc) than Dex
Half-Orc Warlock (Archfey, Pact of the Blade, PAM Glaive wielder), he's a real Charmer, if you know what I mean wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Also he's a Smith that's adventuring to find rare materials to work with.
Hill Dwarf Wild Magic Sorcerer. His Wild magic manifested quite late into his life, almost destroyed the brewery he was working at, so he was basically excommunicated. He wants to get better at directing/controlling the magic, but y'know, a crossbow is more reliable when dealing with the dangers of the world...
A tiefling Paladin (of the Ancients) that likes his longbow. Also if he can, he'd rather stick to the shadows.

Pex
2017-06-06, 05:34 PM
With one of my groups on a mini-hiatus due to life happening, a smaller group of us decided to do a one-shot adventure. We got to play two 5th level characters. I chose a monk and a sorcerer. They're an entertainer team. The sorcerer casts Minor Illusion for music, Prestidigitation to help with costuming, and Twin Enhance Ability Eagle's Splendor for performance. They do acrobatic tricks and dancing, usually dancing, of a sort. Their names are Chip and Dale.

For the game itself the monk proved more effective. Stunning two BBEGs was a big deal, and he also shoved a flesh golem into a pit. Meanwhile, everyone made their saving throw against the sorcerer's Phantasmal Force (DM rolled high) and one was Counterspelled. The sorcerer wasn't useless, just disappointed that spell never worked.

Hrugner
2017-06-06, 05:37 PM
game play concept:
It's not really available in 5e, but I really enjoy the full party buffer with a combat capable pet. I have an old habit of optimizing, so I eventually got into the party buffer thing so I could optimize the hell out of my character and not over shadow the party. I also like grapplers, and knife throwers, but they aren't much supported in 5e either.

rp concept:
I like to play characters that don't understand their role in the world as an adventuring hero and instead just get dragged along by fate. The fighter who is the group's baggage handler, the rogue who is certain nothing will try to kill them today and that all the killing times are behind them this time for sure. I also like characters who don't understand the mechanical nature of their abilities such as a bard who believe his magic is divine in nature, or the sorcerer who studies his spell books and tries to memorize magic as a wizard does.

class race combos:
Dragon man thief is pretty appealing. I like the over sized sneaky bugger concept in general, but dragon man has the additional appeal of being a terrifying site when finally spotted. Unfortunately the dragon man sucks pretty hard in 5e. The dwarf wizard is another favorite as I like the studious, hunched, bearded fellows. Halfling sword masters are also pretty high on my list.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-06, 05:43 PM
I love the Tiefling devotion paladin. I'm actually not a religious person at all, but I love a good redemption story. Overcoming your origins to become something more, something people can depend on... it's a good story.

I also love the halfling wild mage/diviner with Luck. It may be optimal, it may not be optimal, but by Jove it's stupid as hell, and I love it.

JellyPooga
2017-06-06, 05:45 PM
I'm basicaly the same, just with Half-Orcs (they're just so cute). I think half of my current character concepts are Half-Orc...

I seem to have the same fetish in 5ed and I don't really know why. Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that they simply seem to have got them so...right in this edition.

I have a particular fondness for Half-Orc Rogue as a concept; combining the "brawn" of the Half-Orc and the cunning "brains" of the Rogue; the juxtaposition appeals to me.

Kane0
2017-06-06, 06:04 PM
A minion. Not the little yellow things, I mean a character that doesn't make decisions on his own and blindly follows his superior. I often end up the de facto 'leader' of the group, so this would be nce sometime.

Psychotic Gnome knife thrower. The ideal in malicious bastardry, thoroughly evil and more than a little sadistic. Collects knives of all sorts and has more on his person than you can carry at any given time. Obviously not very party friendly.

A wizard that devotes all his energy to unlocking the secrets of magical healing through the 'correct' means. Steadfastly refuses to accept divine hand-me-downs.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-06, 06:29 PM
I played a gnome wizard who functioned as a hyper competent spy. I think I freaked out the group when I assassinated a noble by convincing him to kill himself.

Rfkannen
2017-06-06, 06:29 PM
I really like the idea of a barbarian cleric. Rageing and healing. Bare chested. Bring both hammer and lightning down on thors enemies.

Sigreid
2017-06-06, 06:48 PM
Kobold champion fighter. "A dragon's heart beats in this chest!"

Mortis_Elrod
2017-06-06, 07:20 PM
I always like a full on predator character. Lizardfolk barb/ranger/monk does it well, stalking the enemy and punching from the swamp or trees.

Another good one is the Black mage. The master of destruction. Definetaly evil, or at the least neutral and almost always chaotic, the solution to any problem is to blow it to hell. This guy uses all of his slots to overkill the last mook whilst screaming ' #EXPLOSION!!!!'

And I always love a good gish dual wielding edge lord

Naanomi
2017-06-06, 07:45 PM
Mechanically I also like the shillelagh using Ranger for some reason... barely any benefit from doing it, but just seems cool

NecroDancer
2017-06-06, 08:07 PM
A barbarian 1/Monk 5/Sorcerer X is a cool idea, basically a magical warrior that fights bare handed with the anger of a dragon.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-06, 08:21 PM
Protector Aasimar Sun Soul Monk!

Specially if it is in Eberron. Imagine how cool would be this guy going Silver Flame Super Saiyan, flying and throwing around blasts of silver fire!

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aVPdzQy_460s.jpg

I keep mentioning anime just to trigger anime haters...

Finback
2017-06-06, 08:37 PM

Warforged Forge/theurge. Named Dirge.

Kane0
2017-06-06, 08:37 PM
Protector Aasimar Sun Soul Monk!

Specially if it is in Eberron. Imagine how cool would be this guy going Silver Flame Super Saiyan, flying and throwing around blasts of silver fire!

https://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/aVPdzQy_460s.jpg

I keep mentioning anime just to trigger anime haters...

I did something similar with a feral winged tiefling sun soul monk. It was indeed as awesome as you imagine. So awesome that I ended up taking a level in light cleric because less educated individuals kept trying to worship me.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-06, 08:41 PM
I did something similar with a feral winged tiefling sun soul monk. It was indeed as awesome as you imagine. So awesome that I ended up taking a level in light cleric because less educated individuals kept trying to worship me.

Cool! (There is no thumbs up system here, sadly)

Warforged Forge/theurge. Named Dirge.

You can never go wrong with Warforged man, just get yourself a Manual of Intelligence or Whatever, and wait 900 years to maximize your Int to 30... (the campaign may end, but in the end you will be the smartest guy ever... if those dragons don't nuke you...)

Dudewithknives
2017-06-06, 08:52 PM
Bugbear Battlerager barbarian for some levels the rest was all thief rogue.

Sneak up om people, grapple them, drag them into a hiding place or to the ground and shank them in the kidneys til they died.

I was called "The Mugger"

I had to convince the gm to let me play a half orc battlerager but that was not too hard.

The ring of silence once a day, that took some convincing.

Pex
2017-06-06, 09:03 PM
I'm already playing a Devotion Paladin in a game, but when I'm in the mood to play one again I really want to play him with a criminal background with his family being the game world's mafia. He's the "white sheep" of the family. His mother insisted that at least one of their children would not be part of the family business. By purposeful design the party's goals never conflict with his family, but as per the Criminal Background they are useful for information and no questions asked minor deeds in regard to the bag guys the party does face. The family also makes sure other families and especially assassins don't bother him, but if the party's purpose is against a particular family they're exempt from retaliation as that's business. There could even be a families war that somehow involves the party. It's a cliche story, but I'd like the fun it.

Princess
2017-06-06, 09:04 PM
Noble spellcaster (of any sort) who considers 'damage' beneath them. No damage spells, does not make attacks ever, all about the creative spellcasting to 'reform' (control) enemies and support allies.

A charlatan who impersonates others just because they enjoy doing so, but makes the most of any situation they can with 'acting' at an unsuspecting 'audience.'

A character who accidentally has magic powers. Maybe they didn't understand what they're were doing, maybe their faerie godmother 'gave them a gift' for reasons that don't make any sense, but they have powers now and crazy stuff won't stop bothering them.

A sorcerer raised around only divine spellcasters (Clerics) who is convinced, since they can cast spells without praying, that they must be a god. And the only logical thing to do about that is to be the greatest hero ever so that everyone else will agree that they're a god.

Positiveimpact3
2017-06-06, 09:06 PM
Tiefling bard/warlock/rogue -
A mute male tiefling obsessed with sound and the power of words to manipulate others as seen in tiefling society. He begs the universe to give him a voice and the universe answers via warock pact.

He uses his new found voice and power to cast spells via dual wielding whips - slamming them into his steel drums.

Fayd
2017-06-06, 09:09 PM
Bugbear Battlerager barbarian for some levels the rest was all thief rogue.

Sneak up om people, grapple them, drag them into a hiding place or to the ground and shank them in the kidneys til they died.

I had to convince the gm to let me play a half orc battlerager but that was not too hard.

The ring of silence once a day, that took some convincing.

Maybe it's my overdeveloped sense of pun, but I would have called him "The Mugbear"

Naanomi
2017-06-06, 09:10 PM
A character who accidentally has magic powers. Maybe they didn't understand what they're were doing, maybe their faerie godmother 'gave them a gift' for reasons that don't make any sense, but they have powers now and crazy stuff won't stop bothering them
One of my characters is a mountain Dwarf sorcerer who was a brewer's apprentice... drank the wrong alchemical brew and got 'perma-drunk' wild magic sorcerer abilities. I took no spells with material components to best respresent unwanted magic 'just happening'... kind of wish there was a 'ignore material components' Feat!

Hackulator
2017-06-06, 09:18 PM
I played a half-orc barbarian with int 8 who thought he was a bard because he would beat people to death with a reinforced cello. The kicker was, I actually had the skills to play the cello really well, and one day I just sat down and did it and the whole party was flabbergasted.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-06, 09:28 PM
I played a half-orc barbarian with int 8 who thought he was a bard because he would beat people to death with a reinforced cello. The kicker was, I actually had the skills to play the cello really well, and one day I just sat down and did it and the whole party was flabbergasted.

I had a warforged fighter in 4e who thought he was a druid because he beat people to death with a small tree.

Dudewithknives
2017-06-07, 07:26 AM
Maybe it's my overdeveloped sense of pun, but I would have called him "The Mugbear"

I was called the Thugbear more than once.

Ralanr
2017-06-07, 08:15 AM
Barblocks of the blade.

Yes I can't cast spells or keep concentration up in rage. Armor of Agathys, fireshield, and reckless attack are my way of saying I don't care.

HIT ME!

Maxilian
2017-06-07, 08:44 AM
Champion Halfling as a "Champion of the Goodest of Luck".

Lore Wizard Orc (dump INT)

Trum4n1208
2017-06-07, 10:48 AM
It's not optimal in 5E, but I've recently been wanting to make a Hoplite character. Half plate, shield, spear, shortsword. Add on Shield Master for that fun shield bash. Unfortunately, without UA it wouldn't be extremely powerful, but it would be fun enough I think. I'm picturing the character as a Goliath (for the Spartan-type society) Fighter, either Champion or Battlemaster.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-07, 11:05 AM
Drow blade singer. With some sorc for metamagic wild magic sorc and just spout raw arcana and unicorns while dancing.i also use the entertainer background and i sing spin tales use minor illusions to mimic battles.i became a storyteller and dancer.

Crgaston
2017-06-07, 11:23 AM
One of my characters is a mountain Dwarf sorcerer who was a brewer's apprentice... drank the wrong alchemical brew and got 'perma-drunk' wild magic sorcerer abilities. I took no spells with material components to best respresent unwanted magic 'just happening'... kind of wish there was a 'ignore material components' Feat!
Using a mug/flagon/flask as a focus would work pretty well for that.

"Looks like we're fighting again... I need a drink!"

Gulp....

Boom!

"What the...???"

jaappleton
2017-06-07, 11:26 AM
Gnome Barbarian dual-wielding clubs

A proper gentleman, tip hat and monacle, finely dressed, with a walking can that he separates into two pieces and beat people to death with whenever they insult his height.

Lombra
2017-06-07, 11:27 AM
Unarmored cleric is one of my favourite, it works better with monk, but I can see a barbarian cleric of war better flavour-wise, high dex, con and wis, works well with the saves, and looks cool.

jaappleton
2017-06-07, 11:46 AM
Unarmored cleric is one of my favourite, it works better with monk, but I can see a barbarian cleric of war better flavour-wise, high dex, con and wis, works well with the saves, and looks cool.

Monk / Cleric is one of my favorite things build conceptually, but I have never actually played one. Seems like there's a ton of synergy, but I've never pulled the trigger to play it.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-07, 11:48 AM
Rock gnome thief. She likes taking things and taking things apart. She's really curious about machines and traps, but isn't disciplined enough to use magic outside of faking it with UMD later.

One day, when the gods smile on a dice-rolled stat array...

mephnick
2017-06-07, 11:54 AM
Monk / Cleric is one of my favorite things build conceptually, but I have never actually played one. Seems like there's a ton of synergy, but I've never pulled the trigger to play it.

Yeah I've been mulling about a Cleric 2/ Monk X character for a while and might go for it in my next game. A couple spells and a domain could really flesh out the monk.

jaappleton
2017-06-07, 11:58 AM
Yeah I've been mulling about a Cleric 2/ Monk X character for a while and might go for it in my next game. A couple spells and a domain could really flesh out the monk.

I homebrewed something awhile back for it. Like how the Theurge Wizard lifts Cleric abilities? It was like that, but for Monks. So you could cast the 1st level Domain spells for 2 Ki each, at 6th level you got the Channel Divinity of the domain, etc.

It was simple, but I thought it worked out quite well. Some Domains may have been better than others for it, like why maximize Thunderwave at 1st level? But it still gave a nice push effect, which I thought worked well on a Monk.

Of course, any Domain getting Bless or Divine Favor was also a really solid option just with that.

Maxilian
2017-06-07, 02:07 PM
Artificer Yuan-ti that really wants to get along with the warm blood creatures, he even created a Cow-like machine that create a big cloud of perfume for those around it to enjoy.

The machine is a Stench Kow, its is actually a poison cloud, but for the Yuan-ti its not bad, its actually quite nice (not like you can get poisoned), sadly this is also one of the reason why most people don't like him, he doesn't get it.

Discord
2017-06-07, 03:00 PM
Stout Halfling Divination Wizard with the Lucky Feat

A Blue or Bronze Dragonborn Tempest Cleric

and

Unsure of Race, Unsure of progression Raven Queen Warlock / Grave Cleric

Trum4n1208
2017-06-07, 03:12 PM
Another one that I'm interested in in terms of concept is a Bard/Barbarian multiclass. I picture him as a Skald of his tribe, the one who passes down their oral tradition and sings the songs of his ancestors as he slays his foes. Proficiency in drums, some other vaguely tribal instrument, and (with DM approval) epic poetry and such.

Dudewithknives
2017-06-07, 03:37 PM
I always wanted to try to pull off a monk grappler, but with no reliable way to get advantage and being almost exclusively dex based it just does not really work.

Maxilian
2017-06-07, 03:39 PM
I always wanted to try to pull off a monk grappler, but with no reliable way to get advantage and being almost exclusively dex based it just does not really work.

You could make it STR based and take a couple of lvls into a class that give you another way to calculate your AC (like Stone Sorcerer) -But sadly is true that the monk, is not one of the best options for a grappler build.

the_david
2017-06-07, 03:57 PM

I had the idea of making a half-orc barbarian sorcerer who was under the impression that he was the strongest mage in the world. he would only have one level of sorcerer, but that would be enough to give him Enlarge Person. So yeah, physically he was the strongest mage in the world.
I eventually got to play him in a short adventure for Pathfinder. I swapped in the level of sorcerer for psychic warrior though, and he was a half-giant instead of a half-orc. The psychic warrior part allowed him to use Expand by expending his Psionic Focus. He nearly killed a teammate due to murderous command.
I regret that I wasn't able to give him a familiar named mister Puppy. (Who was neither a puppy, nor a mister.)

I also got to use my Intimidatrix build in Pathfinder. I suppose that's optimization though, although I mainly did it to prove that martials do get good stuff.

Characters that I still have to play:
Joe the petitioner: Average guy who died and is now looking for his wife in the afterlife. The catch is that they're not on the same plane.
Variation on the previous character except this one is locked up in Carceri and is just trying to escape.
Thar Thunderhammer: Dwarf Ranger wielding two hammers who is trying to find his missing clan, the love of his life and the thunder and lightning hammers that were stolen from his clan.
Races of Eberron revealed that female kalashtar have a bond with a female quori spirit and male kalashtar have a bond with a male quori spirit, so I've got to play a transgender kalashtar. (Female quori in a male body.)

Edit: Let me clarify that last bit. I could just call them genderqueer, but I see it as a bit more complicated with a male and female soul in one body, if that makes any sense at all.

Drackolus
2017-06-07, 04:06 PM
I love the old archivist/wizard theurge, mostly because I love spell collection.
Anything involving dragons, especially dragonwrought kobolds. I like other kobolds too, though, mostly because I also find them adorable.
Healing is fun. I usually play healers in online games. I honestly enjoy making health bars go up more than making them go down.
I've also come to really appreciate being tanky. I tend to be far too bold when it comes to helping others. I jump to heroism like a paladin, regardless of my actual class. I tend to get dropped a lot for it. Teleportation is my favorite way to do it. If I see a horde of enemies, my instincts tell me to dimension door directly on top of the leader.
And, of course, charisma skills. I far prefer talking my way out of fights and finding peaceful solutions.
So... I guess my ideal character is a dragonwrought kobold redemption paladin/life theurge, or maybe just a bulky lore bard/life theurge.

CrackedChair
2017-06-07, 04:14 PM
I created This character (http://imgur.com/QvKzkZK), a Human fighter who ran away from her noble house in what is essentially Japan.

She really has a hard time expressing emotions and does not recognize the emotions of others, as well as being dangerously obese (4'11" and 267 lbs.). She still picks up archery and does a great job still despite her bulk which otherwise would hinder her.

Beechgnome
2017-06-07, 05:12 PM
One I've wanted to do for a while is a wild Mage Sorcerer with subtle spell/Arcane Trickster rogue with the invisible Mage hand who pretends to never help all the while helping, nudging success.

For bonus chuckles I'd have him dress like a farmer. And take the Lucky feat.

'Behold, Ragr the invincible, Dynera the quick, Korrel the wise and, uh, Chet, who for some reason was assigned to our party.'

JellyPooga
2017-06-07, 05:23 PM

I really enjoyed playing a light armoured Ancients Paladin armed with a Quarterstaff; doing the whole "travelling do-gooder" thing. Looked and acted more like a Ranger than your typical Paladin, but could really bust out some hurt when the chips were down!

ZorroGames
2017-06-07, 05:49 PM
Actually i have plans to play a Clan (2 or 3 families) of Mountain Dwarf living on the edge of a wilderness with one character in every character class.

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk (in play now)
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorceror
Warlock
Wizard

I really do not see any character exceeding 11th level over the years but who knows? And i expect some to be die and be entombed in the family vault.

solidork
2017-06-07, 08:08 PM
A Satyr Glamour Bard/Ancients Paladin who is a knight-courtier attached to the Court of A Thousand Nights in the Feywild. Though he has fallen out of favor with Queen Scheherazade, he maintains that the Mistress of Stories will remain queen of his heart until there are no more stories for her to tell, and the Lord of the Wastes awakens and buries all of creation beneath burning sands. He is much less picky about choosing a king of his heart, and is actively looking for applicants. He is the fits the ideal of a renaissance man to the letter, but like all fey who become as powerful as he is, he is becoming increasingly alien and disconnected from mortal concerns; when he calls upon his most powerful magic, all are filled with awe and fear at the sight of his terrible majesty.

RickAllison
2017-06-07, 08:35 PM
One thing I've always toyed with is the ultimate Beastmaster. Find Steed, Find Familiar, Beastmaster Ranger. I like Raven Queen Warlock/Bard for a practical build with this (I just don't see a multiclass with Ranger being practical for this), grabbing Find Steed, a Raven, a Chain familiar, and any Conjure spells I want. For a gestalt game (or as an NPC...), Chainlock/Bard with Beastmaster Ranger would make a wonderful Mulan, with Khan the steed, the invincibly lucky Cricket, and grabbing a Pseudodragon (we are already fudging rules here!) with a weak (no damage), at-will fire breath. Plus, a Bard who is not as skilled with fighting as her allies but cunning fits perfectly with Mulan.

Naez
2017-06-07, 10:19 PM
A favorite of mine has always been the Barbarian/sorcerer or the Rage Mage. "I'm so angry I JUST RAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" *Shoots fire from eye sockets*

The chaotic raging nature works very well with both wild magic and draconic for flavor.

Finback
2017-06-07, 10:57 PM

I know that mugging is a common term of parlance, but... reference to the crocodiles of India and/or the famous one named by Kipling (the Mugger-Ghaut)?

(edit: including link, as it's one of my favourite stories - The Undertakers (https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/k/kipling/rudyard/jungle2/chapter7.html))

Pex
2017-06-07, 11:32 PM
Interesting dilemma I'm in. Playing a Sage Diviner Wizard who reveres Oghma. Stereotypical but new for me. Through a few incidences of campaign progress Mask has taken a special positive interest in my character unrelated, so far at least, to the main plot. My initiation was solving a spacial puzzle dedicated to Mask that opened a portal we needed to go through. When you're touched by the Divine, you notice. When it's The Shadowlord who blesses you, in his way, more than once you can't ignore it. It would be disloyal to end worship of Oghma to switch to Mask. Neither deity is Lawful so normally they wouldn't care, but when it comes to worship they actually do.

I never played a character who worshiped Mask. I've always had a little respect for the deity. It helped in past campaigns the DMs portrayed the Church of Mask as always siding with Team Good Guys when it mattered, using their talents as necessary the Goody Two Shoes Churches just couldn't do. To worship Mask as a wizard would be unique. I need to do some research on the matter. Perhaps it's possible to worship two deities with their blessing. It's not as if I'm a cleric which requires special devotion, and there's no philosophical conflict between them.

Fayd
2017-06-08, 11:25 AM
Oh, one more: lycanthropes or gnolls, or canines generally actually. (A teleporting/portaling dog was an idea for a M&M character)

Princess
2017-06-08, 11:28 AM
Interesting dilemma I'm in. Playing a Sage Diviner Wizard who reveres Oghma. Stereotypical but new for me. Through a few incidences of campaign progress Mask has taken a special positive interest in my character unrelated, so far at least, to the main plot. My initiation was solving a spacial puzzle dedicated to Mask that opened a portal we needed to go through. When you're touched by the Divine, you notice. When it's The Shadowlord who blesses you, in his way, more than once you can't ignore it. It would be disloyal to end worship of Oghma to switch to Mask. Neither deity is Lawful so normally they wouldn't care, but when it comes to worship they actually do.

I never played a character who worshiped Mask. I've always had a little respect for the deity. It helped in past campaigns the DMs portrayed the Church of Mask as always siding with Team Good Guys when it mattered, using their talents as necessary the Goody Two Shoes Churches just couldn't do. To worship Mask as a wizard would be unique. I need to do some research on the matter. Perhaps it's possible to worship two deities with their blessing. It's not as if I'm a cleric which requires special devotion, and there's no philosophical conflict between them.

Older setting books have mentioned several times that being exclussively devoted to one deity is unusual in Faerun for anyone who isn't specifically channeling that deity's power. Henotheism - exclussively worshipping a single deity of a polytheistic religion - is mostly a practice of Clerics and Paladins. Most Forgotten Realms characters would be openly polytheistic if religious.

Same here. There are a couple of campaign settings with established kung fu/healers and that's always sounded interesting to me. The "Broken Ones of Ilmater" in FR are one of the cooler D&D religious groups I've seen, and back when multiclassing had restrictions they always explicitly had mention that they would freely mix monk and cleric training to be best able to help other people and be humbly self sacrificing.

Naanomi
2017-06-08, 01:28 PM
Although it is also true that nearly everyone in FR has a 'patron God'; the being you plan on ending up in their divine realm after death... even though you worship many Gods, you still almost always have 'your God' as well

DarthPenance
2017-06-08, 03:08 PM
Well, I don't know if it counts, but I love playing as a human, especially as a wizard/sorcerer, basically go from a simply guy who can do a few tricks and fire bolts that deal minimal damage to stopping time and summoning meteors from the sky to melt things that lived much, much longer than he ever did. I don't know if it seems like basically a JRPG character but it feels good.
Also, try to convince the DM to allow for guns and stuff, so I can be like a mechanist using the power of science!

Balyano
2017-06-08, 03:31 PM
Tabaxi Tiger Totem Barbarian....just too obvious.

mr-mercer
2017-06-08, 03:52 PM
Not much of a concept, but I really want to make a human monk who takes animal forms of martial arts to its logical extreme in literally fighting like a wild animal: basically being the monk equivalent of a druid or barbarian. The current idea I have would be a shadow monk with a panther motif, whose teleportation is flavoured as inhumanly fast dashing between shadows and such. I'd play him as more of a predatory character than a straight-up brawler.

Still want an unarmed type of character who doesn't explicitly use spells or spell-like abilities, though. Kazuma Kiryu doesn't settle for astral projection.

Finback
2017-06-09, 01:01 AM
Oh, something I've tried to build, but had no real luck.. a Fightin' Mage.

Basically, a brawler who uses enchantments/evocations to make his hand to hand that bit more powerful - the equivalent of wreathing your fists in lightning bolts or fireballs, using flying leaps, augmented strength with both spells and artifacts like Belts of Ogre Strength, etc.

I know there is a monk path that offers similar, but I really want to go the arcane pathway on this one.

Ralanr
2017-06-09, 01:05 AM

Basically, a brawler who uses enchantments/evocations to make his hand to hand that bit more powerful - the equivalent of wreathing your fists in lightning bolts or fireballs, using flying leaps, augmented strength with both spells and artifacts like Belts of Ogre Strength, etc.

I know there is a monk path that offers similar, but I really want to go the arcane pathway on this one.

Barblock is your answer. Just fluff the pack weapon as a gauntlet.

thorr-kan
2017-06-09, 10:12 AM
Tiefling LG paladin (5ED equivalent, I'm AFB at the moment) w/merchant guild background. Orphan. Adopted and raised by a half-orc bard (Hi, Ma!) and a half-elf sorcerer (Hi, Pa!). Roommates with the prince at the local paladin academy. Runs around with chain mail and a spear. Meetings with the prince tend to go like:

"Low-born oaf! Chainmail? You're making paldins look bad!"
"Noble lummox! Not all of us have a kingdom's taxes to buy shiny plate. And have your tried fitting it around this tail?"
"It's good to see you, man."
"Good to see you too, bro."

Very much a buddy-cop movie vibe.

ruy343
2017-06-09, 10:19 AM
I've recently been struck by a desire to play a thief rogue like Parker from the show Leverage.

Another that I want to play is a monk character who's a pacifist (perhaps modifying the path of tranquility from the unearthed arcana to be less OP). I'd contribute in combat by taking help actions and such, but otherwise, I'd just be spouting zen nonsense mid-combat.

Naanomi
2017-06-09, 10:21 AM
Also, I have a character that I've played a version of in many different editions whenever we do Forgotten Realms: an evangelical priest of Waukeen, spreading the word or market-based economies for the greater good; adventuring to protect free trade and inject idle wealth back into the economy (a dragon sitting on a horde is a waste, that cash needs to *work*)!

Always a very social Cleric (2e 'goldeneyes', Waukeen speciality priests, were charisma focused), currently being run as a Cleric 1/Bard X

EvilAnagram
2017-06-09, 10:50 AM
Locke Lamora: Rogue Mastermind with the Charlatan background, expertise in Deception and Performance. Start as Variant Human with the Actor feat. Pick up Lucky, Skilled, Linguist, Resilient Con, and Tough. Prof in history, insight, perception, stealth, persuasion, sleight of hand Don't bother boosting Dex beyond the initial 16. Don't worry about dealing damage. You just have to distract them long enough for Jean to come.

mephnick
2017-06-09, 10:59 AM
Also, I have a character that I've played a version of in many different editions whenever we do Forgotten Realms: an evangelical priest of Waukeen, spreading the word or market-based economies for the greater good; adventuring to protect free trade and inject idle wealth back into the economy (a dragon sitting on a horde is a waste, that cash needs to *work*)!

Always a very social Cleric (2e 'goldeneyes', Waukeen speciality priests, were charisma focused), currently being run as a Cleric 1/Bard X

Hmm. This would be great to play in my group that consists of a few hippy dippy anti-capitalists. Man they're going to get so annoyed.

Naanomi
2017-06-09, 11:14 AM
Hmm. This would be great to play in my group that consists of a few hippy dippy anti-capitalists. Man they're going to get so annoyed.
May her invisible hand guide you to prosperity

lunaticfringe
2017-06-09, 11:27 AM

Waukeen! I always forget about her. Fiendlock/Cleric of Waukeen member of the Six Rings. Secretly spreading the Harlot's Coin Heresy.

Beelzebubba
2017-06-09, 01:57 PM
Take a Wood Elf, Outlander background, Druid, 18 / Ranger 1 / Rogue 1, and survive anywhere, in any conditions, for any amount of time, while being almost undetectable.

Skilled in Perception, Athletics, Nature, Insight, Acrobatics
Expertise in Survival, Stealth
Mask of the Wild to hide in most conditions
Natural Explorer for fast stealth movement and unerring navigation
Outlander geographic awareness
= you are incredibly capable, mobile, fast, resourceful and stealthy with skills alone

Druid spells for all sorts of stealth, movement, distractions, harassment
Guidance cantrip for skill checks, Druidcraft for distractions
Wild shape into 'hide in plain sight' animals
Circle of the Land: Grassland for Land's Stride, Misty Step
= very very slippery and almost undetectable without forewarning

Get Wisdom to 20 and Resilient: Constitution
Then get Alert, Mobile, Lucky, or Shield Master for additional defense

I'm trying to think of how to build a better 'forward scout' or wilderness incursion character, but can't.

Naanomi
2017-06-09, 02:02 PM
Take a Wood Elf, Outlander background, Druid, 18 / Ranger 1 / Rogue 1, and survive anywhere, in any conditions, for any amount of time, while being almost undetectable.

Skilled in Perception, Athletics, Nature, Insight, Acrobatics
Expertise in Survival, Stealth
Mask of the Wild to hide in most conditions
Natural Explorer for fast stealth movement and unerring navigation
Outlander geographic awareness
= you are incredibly capable, mobile, fast, resourceful and stealthy with skills alone

Druid spells for all sorts of stealth, movement, distractions, harassment
Guidance cantrip for skill checks, Druidcraft for distractions
Wild shape into 'hide in plain sight' animals
Circle of the Land: Grassland for Land's Stride, Misty Step
= very very slippery and almost undetectable without forewarning

Get Wisdom to 20 and Resilient: Constitution
Then get Alert, Mobile, Lucky, or Shield Master for additional defense

I'm trying to think of how to build a better 'forward scout' or wilderness incursion character, but can't.
I played something similar; expertise: stealth and perception; took the observant feat, and preferred animal forms with perception boosts (I was a rogue 2/moon Druid 18)... passive perception 30+

Beelzebubba
2017-06-09, 02:03 PM
I played something similar; expertise: stealth and perception; took the observant feat, and preferred animal forms with perception boosts (I was a rogue 2/moon Druid 18)... passive perception 30+

Mind if I ask - when did you take your Rogue levels?

If you took them relatively early, how badly did you miss the new spell levels in comparison to the other casters?

Naanomi
2017-06-09, 02:12 PM
Mind if I ask - when did you take your Rogue levels?

If you took them relatively early, how badly did you miss the new spell levels in comparison to the other casters?
I was... Rogue 1/Druid 5/Rogue +1/Druid +13?

It wasn't too bad, apart from relying on cantrips instead of sneak attack I really played more like a rogue with spells than a Druid... scouting, sneaking, mobile combat with bonus action options. Rogue is so 'front loaded' in what makes it feel like a rogue it was pretty easy to maintain that focus

Beelzebubba
2017-06-09, 03:10 PM
I was... Rogue 1/Druid 5/Rogue +1/Druid +13?

It wasn't too bad, apart from relying on cantrips instead of sneak attack I really played more like a rogue with spells than a Druid... scouting, sneaking, mobile combat with bonus action options. Rogue is so 'front loaded' in what makes it feel like a rogue it was pretty easy to maintain that focus

Cool, thanks. I think I might even go that route now.

Drackolus
2017-06-09, 05:04 PM

As a socialist in the US, I really want to play this character.
I enjoy playing characters I disagree with. It's a good mental exercise.

Naanomi
2017-06-09, 05:18 PM
As a socialist in the US, I really want to play this character.
I enjoy playing characters I disagree with. It's a good mental exercise.
Although Waukeen's doctrines are not strictly anti-socialist... the clergy are supposed to give their own wealth away (to fund other people's money making ventures; and to help folks escape the type of poverty that prevents them from being profitable), and are big on some forms of redistribution of wealth (money sitting idle in vaults... or dragon hordes... instead of properly being invested or the like is literally a sin)

Drackolus
2017-06-09, 05:24 PM
Although Waukeen's doctrines are not strictly anti-socialist... the clergy are supposed to give their own wealth away (to fund other people's money making ventures; and to help folks escape the type of poverty that prevents them from being profitable), and are big on some forms of redistribution of wealth (money sitting idle in vaults... or dragon hordes... instead of properly being invested or the like is literally a sin)

That's fair.
It still sounds fun though. Adventuring to get rich is the standard, but Waukeen's clergy can join a party with a unique set of motives that can lead to fun inter-party interactions.
Come to think about it, that's probably true of a lot of neutral deities.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-09, 05:26 PM
I remembered one character that I would like to play someday: Warforged Fighter 1~2/Open Hand Monk 18~19.

Going with Str instead of Dex, The Defense Archetype, Full Plate, and Unarmed! I would basically be this literal humanoid tank that smashes people like Hulk!

Drackolus
2017-06-09, 05:31 PM
I remembered one character that I would like to play someday: Warforged Fighter 1~2/Open Hand Monk 18~19.

Going with Str instead of Dex, The Defense Archetype, Full Plate, and Unarmed! I would basically be this literal humanoid tank that smashes people like Hulk!

Unfortuntely, you can't even use the unarmed abilities of the monk while wearing armor. You could take tavern brawler and be a battlemaster for the same effect, though.

DragonSorcererX
2017-06-09, 05:35 PM
Unfortuntely, you can't even use the unarmed abilities of the monk while wearing armor. You could take tavern brawler and be a battlemaster for the same effect, though.

Dammit WotC! I hope the Warforged is restored back to it's full glory so that I can circumvent this bull****!

Phelan Boots
2017-06-09, 06:26 PM
Warforged Monster Hunter/Knowledge Cleric
Guild Artisan of the Chefs Guild
Gourmand Feat
Flail Mastery
Tunnel Fighter (LOL)

The idea of a machine man who loves food, but has no reason to eat tickles me a bit.

A former chef of a mischievous mage, turned in to a much more functional servant by his magical master. Now the mage's chef can go find him much more rare and magical ingredients. Then the mage disappears with his tower and he is kicked to the curb to figure out his life now. The Chefs guild says no one wants to hire a mechanical chef, though he's still a valued member of the guild and they would love it if he could provide them a similar service.

I see him becoming a sort of inquisitor or private investigator, with his skills and spells mostly focused on finding his target.

Also, one arm ends in what is essentially a KitchenAid, which he plugs all sorts of culinary attachments into while cooking. For fighting though, he has a flail attachment which he has become quite proficient, and whirls it around recklessly to bludgeon things into submission.

Afrodactyl
2017-06-10, 12:00 PM
Builds I plan on using;

A goliath bearbarian grappler luchador, intent of wrestling all of his problems into submission.

A roguish Clint Eastwood style cowboy gunslinger who uses finger pistols to blast magic. Unsure of the build at the moment.

A GOO bladelock fighter 'anti paladin' who's patron is the moon, to rival a paladin of Pelor.

Theodoxus
2017-06-10, 05:29 PM
My new character for an ongoing OotA game is definitely not optimized, but I'm loving his concept.

Firbolg Land Druid of the Underdark named Horatio. But!
He uses his natural Disguise Self ability, along with a Hat of Disguise he was given, to assume the identity of Nymrym Druu'iir, drow master wine seller and sometime spy for the Zhentarim.

Horatio is legit a spy for the Zhents, using his guise as a drow to work covertly in Menzo and the surrounding area. The party in the OotA game needed a new healer - and ideally a druid for reincarnate - so Nymrym shows up, summoned by the Zhents to help a fellow agent out.

It hasn't come up yet, but when he needs to explain why he doesn't have darkvision, his explanation is the drow once caught him in what they thought was smuggling of illicit goods into Menzo. They tortured him with glaringly bright light for days, until his darkvision was burned out. He was eventually exonerated, but no longer felt like a 'true drow' so when into the Land of Light, where he encountered a Zhent patrol who questioned why a drow was topside in the sun without protection. His story got him turned into a spy, and sent back down to Menzo.

In reality, he uses a combination of the Darkvision spell and a friendly familiar owl named Horatio via the Ritual Caster [Wizard] feat to make his way in the dark, but no one knows that...

The party is convinced for the moment that he's just another drow. They're a tad suspicious, as he professed Lolth as his patron, and they're pretty sure She doesn't have any druids... we'll cross that line when it comes up...

Arkhios
2017-06-10, 05:48 PM
Dimwit Stout Halfling Berserker Barbarian with a crazy big maul. (As a matter of fact, a small character can wield heavy weapons, although with disadvantage, so it could work in 5e... Technically).

Sirdar
2017-06-11, 10:07 AM
Dimwit Stout Halfling Berserker Barbarian with a crazy big maul. (As a matter of fact, a small character can wield heavy weapons, although with disadvantage, so it could work in 5e... Technically).

Combine with the Lucky feat for crazy advantage 3 times before you rest.

CaptainSarathai
2017-06-11, 01:40 PM
Not much of a concept, but I really want to make a human monk who takes animal forms of martial arts to its logical extreme in literally fighting like a wild animal: basically being the monk equivalent of a druid or barbarian. The current idea I have would be a shadow monk with a panther motif, whose teleportation is flavoured as inhumanly fast dashing between shadows and such. I'd play him as more of a predatory character than a straight-up brawler.
I have plans for a Monk/Druid character laying around. Idea is that he's a tattooed monk. After mastering each style, he is granted a magical tattoo of the animal that lets him shapeshift into it.
Basically a Wuxia style Druid. Yeah, he can talk to animals and do other cool druid tricks, but only because he trained with them. He can speak to tigers because he trained tiger-style by living with actual tigers for several years, etc.

Locke Lamora: Rogue Mastermind with the Charlatan background, expertise in Deception and Performance. Start as Variant Human with the Actor feat. Pick up Lucky, Skilled, Linguist, Resilient Con, and Tough. Prof in history, insight, perception, stealth, persuasion, sleight of hand Don't bother boosting Dex beyond the initial 16. Don't worry about dealing damage. You just have to distract them long enough for Jean to come.
Good books. Could be a fun character. Someone has to build Jean though.
---

I had a Halfling Barbarian who swore he was an Orc. He was abducted as a child; the Orcs thought he was a human child and were going to fatten him up and eat him. Being a Halfling, he got neither fat nor large, so the Orcs pressed him into servitude. Over time, he became well liked by the tribe, sort of like a mascot.
Then adventurers came and murdered the tribe, and freed him. They returned him to civilization, which he hated, so he ran off back to the wilds. He wears warpaint, and rides a boar into battle.
His name was Shump Iron-rod, and his loyal steed was Tusk'grunta.
Best little character I ever played. Shump never got discouraged, never backed down, never complained of hardships; he adopted the adventuring party as his new tribe. Think a mix of Drax and Groot from GotG.
Other characters wanted to be heads of guilds or kingdoms, become master wizards or achieve immortality, but Shump was easy - he just wanted a death worthy of being reunited with orc tribe in the afterlife. DM made certain that's what I wanted, and then let Shump die the most awesomely heroic death ever. The party had always been a little incredulous of Shump's claim to orciness, but when he died, delegations from several orc tribes appeared on the horizon and came to collect his and Tusk'grunta's bodies, and give him a proper Orcish funeral.
And that is how Shump Iron-rod, Halfling Barbarian, became a hero of Orcs.

Naanomi
2017-06-11, 01:58 PM
I also like aquatic characters for some reason... played a Gensai beastmaster with a giant crab to high levels, it was a blast

Khrysaes
2017-06-11, 01:58 PM
I loved my changeling master of many forms in 3.5

it was pretty broken, and I abused the Divine Minion Cheese(although it was modified heavily to be both better and worse.)

Factotem 1
Feats Able learner, Endurance, Alert, 2 flaws.

Master of many forms 10.

Whatever(usually chameleon 2, warshaper 4, some warblade, whatever).

The core was the Factotem + Able Learner, the template for Wild Shape, and Master of many forms.

Could turn into many things. Was very versatile. Shapeshifting at will.

I managed to get the DM to approve 2 key points(albiet with the template modification it always had a chance of backfiring). 1: I was the bag of holding. Since anything on you without a wilding clasp melds into your new form, and to get it back you have to shapeshift, instead of doing repeated shifts, we just said I reached into my body, which was pretty much a bottom less pit, and pulled out items. and 2: human skill points and feats are an extraordinary ability, so when you shift into a human, at level 7 MMoF, you gain all extraordinary traits, such as the feat and skill points. With factotem all skills are class skills, so I could max the skill when needed, and feats could be moved around as needed.

Again, broken, but I loved the aspect of shifting at will, and being so versatile. I focused on the versatility, not the power.

solidork
2017-06-11, 06:56 PM
My War Cleric has a greatsword that has been passed down his family line for a thousand years, and when he casts Spirit Guardians he creates embodiments of the legends surrounding the ancestors he reveres the most. My favorite of the three that I've got character concepts/backstory for is Rolf Silvertongue, a Ranger who (if you believe the stories he told about himself) successfully hunted the supposedly uncatchable white stag, pissed off a greater fey (The Huntsman, lord of The Land of Always Winter) by so doing, spent five years cursed to be hunted as a stag before tricking the moon into making his pelt as pale as her own face. As the new white stag, it was impossible for anyone bound by the Feywild's storybook logic to catch him. The Huntsman was so impressed by Rolf's cleverness that he offered to call the hunt off if Rolf agreed to serve him. He returned to the material plane as a Ranger/Warlock to discover that despite his many years of absence, only a day had passed for the rest of his tribe.

polymphus
2017-06-11, 07:20 PM
I really want to run a Mountain Dwarf Valor Bard, who is grumpy and Scottish. He brings bagpipes and a battleaxe to the fight. His Vicious Mockery is some variation "OH AYE RIGHT, AWA AN BILE YER HEID!" or "SHUT YER GEGGIE YE BAMPOT!"

Dudewithknives
2017-06-11, 07:30 PM
I really want to run a Mountain Dwarf Valor Bard, who is grumpy and Scottish. He brings bagpipes and a battleaxe to the fight. His Vicious Mockery is some variation "OH AYE RIGHT, AWA AN BILE YER HEID!" or "SHUT YER GEGGIE YE BAMPOT!"

He should so have the accent of Ewen Bremner from The Rundown.

EvilAnagram
2017-06-12, 06:09 AM
My War Cleric has a greatsword that has been passed down his family line for a thousand years, and when he casts Spirit Guardians he creates embodiments of the legends surrounding the ancestors he reveres the most. My favorite of the three that I've got character concepts/backstory for is Rolf Silvertongue, a Ranger who (if you believe the stories he told about himself) successfully hunted the supposedly uncatchable white stag, pissed off a greater fey (The Huntsman, lord of The Land of Always Winter) by so doing, spent five years cursed to be hunted as a stag before tricking the moon into making his pelt as pale as her own face. As the new white stag, it was impossible for anyone bound by the Feywild's storybook logic to catch him. The Huntsman was so impressed by Rolf's cleverness that he offered to call the hunt off if Rolf agreed to serve him. He returned to the material plane as a Ranger/Warlock to discover that despite his many years of absence, only a day had passed for the rest of his tribe.

Yeah, that's pretty sweet.

Blacky the Blackball
2017-06-12, 08:47 AM
Ever since I read Volo's Guide to Monsters I've wanted to play a Goblin GOO Warlock whose patron is the Nilbog spirit. When the spirit entered him, he had the charisma to resist being possessed and instead made a pact with it.

Fayd
2017-06-13, 09:01 AM
I also tend towards lightning as my primary damage type, and love storm based characters generally. Storm sorcerers, tempest clerics, druids...

Arkhios
2017-06-13, 09:07 AM
I also tend towards lightning as my primary damage type, and love storm based characters generally. Storm sorcerers, tempest clerics, druids...

Why didn't I think of that! :o Kord has been my favorite deity since I started with 3.5, and my Paladin of the Ancients is his follower, despite the lack of need. Even my first (Living) Greyhawk character back in the day was a follower of Kord, and one mage-y character concept which I've recycled through all games I've played always specialized in lightning (or thunder/sonic), and any magic related with storms.

Solunaris
2017-06-13, 09:38 AM
A crazy, foaming at the mouth, dual hand-axe wielding Halfling that wears nothing but the pelts of the Wolves he's killed/borrows his strength from.

A.k.a. a Halfling Wolf Totem Barbarian that uses twf with hand-axes.

Joe the Rat
2017-06-13, 11:28 AM
On Monk/Divines: The usual complaint is the lack of synergy in abilities: Every level of not monk is a point less ki, clerics could just wear armor, etc., but the concepts are very flavorful. Sacred Flame is totally a hadouken.

My home game's Monk is a devotee of Sun Wukong, and after a particularly lucky streak decided he'd been touched by the Monkey King and added Trickery Cleric to the mix.
I'm also inclined towards Knowledge/Open Hand, which does a fair job of evoking saffron robes and ancient wisdom... or conversely a fat, brown-robed, tonctured scribe who will slap the crap out of you if you try to take his mead.

I'm rather a fan of Gnome Monks - a tiny little old person with a walking stick, a smile, and a mischevious streak.

The one idea I keep coming back to is Fire Genasi Monk, going either Four Elements or Sun Soul. Stat bonuses in the wrong places, redundant abilities, worst elemental damage type, but the guy with his head on fire using fire-based martial arts is a pretty cool image.

Kuulvheysoon
2017-06-13, 01:05 PM
I keep wanting to play a Tempest Cleric who walks around in heavy armor, completely unarmed.

Except, of course for the shocking grasp cantrip. That's the basis of the idea, at least - haven't delved too far into the concept as I only ever DM (the hassles of living in a small town).

Luccan
2017-06-13, 01:09 PM
Half-Orc Wizard

PeteNutButter
2017-06-13, 03:13 PM
Anything that is practically unkillable. I think I have some sort of PTSD from all the characters I've seen my old DM kill.

As an avid optimizer, outshining your team by damage gets old, but being the last man standing when sh*t hits the fan is always a thrill. Over the years of playing I've soloed a hydra, an undead army, a couple dragons, and countless other things, while my party was all dead or unconscious. I might not hit that hard, but I am a walking fortress. Fights don't often go so awry, but when they do... I can survive.

My current AL character is a gish that is also a mage hunter. A Fighter 1/Abjurer x. I frequently spend all my level 3+ spells on counterspell and my level 1s on shield/absorb elements. Between my heavy armor, my cloak of displacement, my abjuration ward and my shield guardian, Chayyim (Hebrew name meaning life), we can weather most any storm [so far].

I also tend to love paladins.

Maxilian
2017-06-13, 03:17 PM
I also like aquatic characters for some reason... played a Gensai beastmaster with a giant crab to high levels, it was a blast

I WANT TO PLAY THAT SO MUCH! (was it STR based?)

I have had a plan for a character like that for a really long time (I always imagined it going around with a Bag of Holding full of water, and that's where he/she carries the giant crab -and sometimes go in there to take a nap-)

CrackedChair
2017-06-13, 03:19 PM
I tend to really like those characters that are clearly off.

Stuff like not being too emotional, being murderous, stuff like that.

It's a big factor as to why I like games that have people like that, not from the antics alone, but the character development that can occur.

I mean, I am trying to build a murderous character right now, and I am trying to study how I can nail it without being 'definitely evil'.

Finger6842
2017-06-13, 09:19 PM
Half Elf Lore Bard / Transmuter with a Guild Merchant / Diplomat background. The Wizard Spellbook provided a ridiculous amount of flexibility through ritual casting and the bard provided a skill monkey capable of almost anything. In combat the power at range was awesome and the only spells I missed were Paladin Auras and True Polymorph. Out of combat was one adventure after another. Great fun to play!

Gtdead
2017-06-13, 09:22 PM
I had a concept of a very dark, evil bard, that brings the worst in people with his music. He makes them find purpose and aesthetic pleasure in torture, killing, sadism, enslavement etc. Pretty hard to play it, but it's something I actually look forward to.

Naanomi
2017-06-13, 09:31 PM
I WANT TO PLAY THAT SO MUCH! (was it STR based?)

I have had a plan for a character like that for a really long time (I always imagined it going around with a Bag of Holding full of water, and that's where he/she carries the giant crab -and sometimes go in there to take a nap-)
It was actually Wisdom based with magic Initiate: shillelagh (though I also used a net somewhat regularly)... an updated version may very well be a Strength based Triton instead

Telwar
2017-06-13, 10:13 PM
If we do a stock 13th Age game, I'm going with a warforged sorcerer, who was forged from the crown of Vecna the Lich King. Sorcerers have an epic-level feat that if they cut off a hand and pluck out an eye, they'll get a +1 to hit...which this character would as soon as possible.

"Okay, you've leveled up and..." (CLUNK) "...did you just cut off your hand?"

"Yeah, and watch this!" (drilling sound) (more drilling) (now some screwing sounds)

"...did you just pull one eye out and put the other in the middle of your head?"

"Oh, yeah! Oh, hold on." (cylon sound) (cylon sound) "There we go."

Of course, the "stump" from his lost hand is where his blasts would tend to come from.

Zardnaar
2017-06-13, 10:48 PM
TWF Halfling champion with small arms master+ weapon specialization feats.

Hrugner
2017-06-13, 11:07 PM
Another one I really love is the rogue who backstabs with spells rather than weapons. It's obviously DOA in 5e, but I really like the surgical shocking grasp to the heart or the vampiric touch neck snap.

Quoxis
2017-06-14, 08:23 AM

Tavern brawler for improvised weapon proficiency, paladin and any full caster class (wizard works best with more diversity in available spells, is MAD though) for more and higher spell slots.
Smack people around with either your fists or random stuff you grab, including rocks, chairs, slain enemies and the likes, and while you're at it use your smite spells on your fist for just what you described or grapple them as a bonus action to smite-bitchslap with advantage the next round. I might have to build that now because it suddenly sounds awesome.

Maxilian
2017-06-14, 10:23 AM
Tavern brawler for improvised weapon proficiency, paladin and any full caster class (wizard works best with more diversity in available spells, is MAD though) for more and higher spell slots.
Smack people around with either your fists or random stuff you grab, including rocks, chairs, slain enemies and the likes, and while you're at it use your smite spells on your fist for just what you described or grapple them as a bonus action to smite-bitchslap with advantage the next round. I might have to build that now because it suddenly sounds awesome.

I played something like this (MC into Ranger after though), i would recommend going the Wizard Artificer Subclass (UA) -if its an option-, it lets you create the Potion of Giant, basically a Enlarge spell on you that requires no concentration and last 1d4 hours. (I went with Ranger cause i wanted to be able to make my pet large to mount)

RakiReborn
2017-06-14, 10:58 AM
One build I am really looking forward to be able to play is my 'luckbuild'. Halfling diviner wizard 2 / life cleric 1 / bard 1 is the minimum for it, and will up in lore bard with a bit of sorcerer maybe, with ofcourse the lucky feat. It is fully built around changing the die rolls. I have a whole list of quotes I will use about luck everytime he changes a die roll.

EdenIndustries
2017-06-14, 01:11 PM
One build I am really looking forward to be able to play is my 'luckbuild'. Halfling diviner wizard 2 / life cleric 1 / bard 1 is the minimum for it, and will up in lore bard with a bit of sorcerer maybe, with ofcourse the lucky feat. It is fully built around changing the die rolls. I have a whole list of quotes I will use about luck everytime he changes a die roll.

I'm interested in that kind of build too! In fact I made a thread about it recently: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526665-Ultimate-Dice-Manipulator-(character-concept)

If you have any additional thoughts about the build, I'd love to hear about it!

Alpharo
2017-06-15, 08:05 AM
I've always been in love with the concept of a joyful, light hearted peacekeeping monk bard who's annoyingly zen and won't fight unless absolutely necessary. In addition, this monk is super about preserving life at all costs and will go out of his/her way to avoid taking a life. Like aang from the last airbender but without the elements. I love this idea because of the sheer role playing dynamic you can have with it between not only the party, but with the dm. When you create a character like this, it encourages the dm to put your character in compromising situations in which maybe showing mercy can have consequences in the future or may be a lot more work than it would otherwise be worth. Like dishonored if anyone's played that. You CAN play pacifist, but they're gonna make it a pain in the a** haha. But yeah, I love playing really strong principled characters

Alpharo
2017-06-15, 08:30 AM

Dude same... There is not much else more satisfying than shouting, "LIGHTNING!!" As you roll for damage on a shock based spell

warmachine
2017-06-15, 08:41 AM
A Sorcerer with INT 10 who thinks he's an educated and sophisticated mage, especially as he can do metamagic, and oblivious of the criticism that he mostly just blasts enemies.

Alpharo
2017-06-15, 09:25 AM
Another character I only got to play for like five sessions was a high noble lightning sorceress named Rodala. She was a 16 year old heir to a lord from a distant land and sought to gain some experience in the world. My intention was to start her off as an entitled priss with high values in etiquette and manners (the noble way), and as the campaign progressed she would gradually lose this entitlement and become more mature and tolerable. This dynamic was perfect for my brothers character, who was the dirtiest dwarf barbarian you'd ever imagine. My character was hellbent on teaching his character how to not swear or eat in a grotesque fashion, and his character was determined to pull the stick out of my characters butt. By the end of the fifth session, he was apologizing for cursing in front of women. And my character learned to not complain so much when we had to travel through a marshland in her best trappings. It was a beautiful coexistence lol

Fayd
2017-06-15, 09:38 AM
Dude same... There is not much else more satisfying than shouting, "LIGHTNING!!" As you roll for damage on a shock based spell

It may have been a lightning resistant dragon who nearly one shot me the next round, but shouting "Suck Bolt 5, Lizard!" Was incredibly satisfying.

(It was a home brew system that had us craft our own spells; I used final fantasy style naming conventions to make sure I remembered which pre-built spell was which)

ZorroGames
2017-06-18, 01:37 PM
Guilty admission time:

Trying to play any non-martial class with a Mountain Dwarf justs makes me smile. It is the roleplay challenge. And, no, I do not do accents, especially not Scottish ones!

coolAlias
2017-06-18, 02:30 PM
Odysseus, i.e. the cunning fighter. He may not be the strongest or the fastest, but when the chips are down you can bet your butt he'll figure out a winning solution. It seems like one of those 'builds' that relies almost entirely on player skill rather than game mechanics, but it's such an iconic hero that I feel would be very fun to play with the right group and DM.

EDIT: I suppose you could make such a character using the Rogue class instead and it would fit pretty well... but still. :P

Veniur
2017-06-19, 07:46 PM
I've got a yuan-ti fighter/sorcerer who is actually a support character. Have a rogue in the party so I went 5 levels of fighter (for now) and that allows heavy crossbow attack then forfeiting other attack with commandig strike to have the rogue hit instead. Having suggestion (from race) and haste (from sorcerer) is also nice. And the fact that I can cast that haste with action surge or quickened spell. =D
I like to think of it as a tactician who just likes to see his allies do well.
I also have an idea for a bugbear ranger tank who uses polearms to stop people from even getting close. Or the old mounted (on warpony of course) halfling with dual-wielding lances. Fun stuff I would love to try.

Ninja-Radish
2017-06-20, 12:08 PM

I have a fondness for aquatic characters too.

Nyxternal
2017-06-22, 01:36 PM
I had this idea for a peacock character. He was a wealthy, snobby noble that never gave a damn about the poor and was always lusting after women but one day a very attractive priestess asks for his donation to aid her temple and he begins donating in order to win her over.

Finally he tries to make his move but the priestess refuses and when he gets angry he is struck by a blinding light and hears the booming voice of the goddess of the temple condeming him for his actions. She bestows a form unto him fitting of his image of himself, that of the peacock.

Upon returning home he is outcast and his family disowns him in fact writing him off as dead since theres no way he can prove he is himself. He is without money for the first time and begins to grow hungry. He tries to steal a meal but he cant hide or sneak well because of his giant tail and bright colors. So he is forced to sing dance in the streets for his money to survive and eventially gains somwhat of a following to live at least out of the streets. He also cant follow up his old pastime of lechery because no one wants to sleep with a birdman and he is not too fond of the other bird folk.

He is still hungry for the finer things in life and decides adventuring is the only thing now that will get him what he wants although he is a bit more understing to others now that he has had to struggle.

I was thinking he would be a bard out of neccesity but he may also branch into cleric in an attempt to redeem himself for his transgression.

Naanomi
2017-06-22, 01:42 PM
I have a fondness for aquatic characters too.
If only there was a swimming/waterbreathing small character with DEX/WIS... who had a racial ability to use DEX for swimming instead of STR... and I could happily ride my giant crab mount forever!

Demonslayer666
2017-06-22, 02:11 PM
In previous editions (3-PF), I always favored dwarven fighters with a high constitution and the thickest armor available. Lots of HP, hard to hit, and good racial abilities.

I lack a favorite in the latest two editions, but I think that's because I want to play stuff I have never considered before.

Naanomi
2017-06-22, 02:38 PM
In previous editions (3-PF), I always favored dwarven fighters with a high constitution and the thickest armor available. Lots of HP, hard to hit, and good racial abilities.

I lack a favorite in the latest two editions, but I think that's because I want to play stuff I have never considered before.
Hilldwarf Totem Barbarian with shield/axe can fit this pretty well, though not the imagery per se of the heavy armor

Garret Dorigan
2017-06-22, 03:00 PM
In terms of what can actually be built within 5e, a Lizardfolk Bard. I liken it somewhat to a Maori Warleader, who amps up all his allies with a war chant or dance. Spells come from assistance from the spirits of the lizardfolk's ancestors, being called into this world by chants and entreaties. I find that mix of sophisticated tribal kinda cool.

Now if only the Lightning/Storm Genasi would come out in 5e.

BigKaiju
2017-06-22, 05:36 PM
I had an idea for a character, a skill monkey, based around simply being smarter than everyone..... but not maining wizard. Knowledge cleric 12 / Arcane Trickster 4 / Divination 4. Observant and Linguist feats. Guild merchant background. He's an older gent who wanders the kingdoms as a book merchant, but in actuality is a spy and information broker a la the Harpers. Even with combat not a priority, the spellcasting stats still give decent healing and cantrip damage.

gloryblaze
2017-06-23, 03:12 PM
Not tree trunks but get a horse and you can duel wield Lances RAW.

This was mentioned in the twf barbarian thread and now i really want to do it ahaha

Maybe something like VHuman (Dual Wielder feat) with 16 Str/16 Con/14 Cha/10 Dex/8 Wis/8 Int.

Paladin 5 (Defense fighting style, wis saves to make up for dumping it, divine smite, plate armor, Find Steed, and Mounted Combatant at Lvl4 to give advantage when attacking at reach and also make up for the disadvantage on attacking things within 5 feet)

Fighter 2 (TWF fighting style, action surge)

Rogue 3 (Fancy Footwork from Swashbuckler allows us to use our bonus action to TWF while also riding our horse around combat to stay out of 5ft range without provoking too many opportunity attacks)

Rest in fighter and/or paladin. If pure paladin, we reach Pal15 and get 2 ASIs (str 16>18, str 18>20), or if pure fighter, we hit Fighter 12 and get 4 ASIs and can max Str and Con, max Str and bump con/cha, or max Str and get 2 additional feats

The_Jette
2017-06-23, 03:20 PM
I built a tank Lore Bard that has been a lot of fun. Level 1 Fighter, lvl 19 Bard will be really powerful, but I'm only lvl 5 at this point. I've got an AC of 18 using +1 Leather Armor that I got by helping kill a dragon at level 3 (got me to where I am now). It's an AL game. But, yeah, non-traditional builds are my favorite.

Maxilian
2017-06-23, 03:30 PM
If only there was a swimming/waterbreathing small character with DEX/WIS... who had a racial ability to use DEX for swimming instead of STR... and I could happily ride my giant crab mount forever!

Just get a couple of lvls in Rogue Thief and use your BA to open your Portable Hole right next to your Giant Crab, as soon as he grapple someone (hit with his attack) make him go into the portable hole (that is full of water), and close it (with you well place ready action).

Note: If you want to be part of the "fun", jump into the hole before closing it.

coolAlias
2017-06-23, 03:37 PM
I built a tank Lore Bard that has been a lot of fun. Level 1 Fighter, lvl 19 Bard will be really powerful, but I'm only lvl 5 at this point. I've got an AC of 18 using +1 Leather Armor that I got by helping kill a dragon at level 3 (got me to where I am now). It's an AL game. But, yeah, non-traditional builds are my favorite.
I've got a devout 2wf skald character in mind based loosely on Floki from the Vikings TV series - he's going to be v-human Valor Bard with Magic Initiate: Cleric and all of his magic comes from the gods. I want to refluff Bless to use drops of blood in the casting rather than holy water, as a sacrifice to the gods for their aid and all that. ;)

The_Jette
2017-06-23, 03:40 PM
I've got a devout 2wf skald character in mind based loosely on Floki from the Vikings TV series - he's going to be v-human Valor Bard with Magic Initiate: Cleric and all of his magic comes from the gods. I want to refluff Bless to use drops of blood in the casting rather than holy water, as a sacrifice to the gods for their aid and all that. ;)

Ummm.... your own blood?

coolAlias
2017-06-23, 03:45 PM
Ummm.... your own blood?
Sure, that of each person that wants to be blessed. Or a newborn goat, and spread streaks of blood on the faces of each to receive Odin's blessing. It'd probably only come up the every once in a while to remind them of the flavor, but I think it would be fun as my idea was that he would be a foreigner washed up in a strange land, and I figured this would be a good way to show that his people have very different customs.

Quoxis
2017-06-23, 04:07 PM

Water Genasi coast druid.
Get to a level where you can cast 5th level spells and learn "awaken", then do that on either a large aquatic animal (which you might have to carry a portable hole full of water for) or even a homemade houserule "giant giant crab" (let the dm give it slightly higher hp and a higher cr alongside the "large" size, done). You now have a 30 day loyal intelligent mount, and the way you describe it it'd have a nice enough life with you to stay at your side even after that time span.

Quoxis
2017-06-23, 04:15 PM
This is lategame stuff, but:

the treerider

Battlemaster fighter/land druid mc, spending some time to build an epic treehouse in the largest tree he could find, then casting awaken on the tree. He's got a big ol' treant as his portable home now, and uses spells, battlemaster maneuvers and the "mounted combat" feat to point at the things his giant friend should stomp while buffing him and mitigating damage.

Also another build that's just about telling others to do one's work:

The commander

Mastermind rogue/battlemaster fighter. Doesn't attack by himself, but gives others orders what to do with his maneuvers and/or uses help actions (even from 30ft away) to ensure his "army" can hit. Can invest in feats (as he's not interested in fighting he can dump str and have a mere 14 in dex for medium armor combined with a shield) like mobile (to run away faster), inspiring leader (for some temp hp), martial adept (for another maneuver and die)...

The accidental gish
Strength focused mc of totem barbarian, draconic sorcerer and whatever paladin. Bonus points if using a monstrous race.
Dude was a member of a tribe wordhipping dragons, one day one of them came and gifted him (a former single class barbariawho don' need no magic) draconic blood with the side effect of suddenly being a spellcaster, which he could absolutely not control. Because he feared he'd burn down his village, he fled and trained to use his magic on something else - mainly by doing additional damage on a hit of his weapon, and so he swears to train harder until he can return to his own - either as a non-caster or a trained one in control of his powers.
Basically: take 2 levels of pally, 3 (or more) levels of barbarian and up to maybe 14 levels of sorcerer.
You start the battle with a nice lil' rage, smite everything that's not smart enough to flee using your sorcerer spell slots, even with advantage due to reckless attack, and use firebolt and what's left of your slots if your rage should wear off before you killed 'em dead.

Easy_Lee
2017-06-23, 04:27 PM
Have posted this elsewhere: Iron Scoundrel. Rogue (Thief) / Fighter (BM or Champion) with Shield Master and Athletics Expertise.

This character is as mundane as they come, yet has a vast array of options between Fast Hands, Cunning Action, Fighting Style, Shield Master, Action Surge, Extra Attack, his skills, and of course, the array of items he carries. He's also hard to kill. He's the 5e equivalent of a low-tech handyman.

MxKit
2017-06-26, 10:53 PM
Ha, so many characters of mine fall into this, honestly. I fall in love with ideas that are nowhere near optimized way too often.

At some point I really want to try playing a Kenku Sorcerer, with either a Phoenix or Storm subclass, who's seen as blessed because they will eventually be able to fly! A Revenant Elf (formerly High Elf) Warlock, elegant and beautiful, who just can't seem to die because they've made a pact with either the Fiend or the Great Old One and can't rest until they've completed a particular thing for them could also be really fun to play...

My next character is absolutely going to be a Kobold Bard, though. I don't even care how bad Kobolds are, I love getting to play as one, and making them a member of the College of Satire would give me so many good opportunities to use Grovel, Cower, and Beg completely ICly and completely insincerely, and survive even if I get targeted for it. Doing that after some Vicious Mockery to let my companions get in extra whacks on already weakened foes seems like it could be incredibly fun!

Ninja-Radish
2017-06-26, 11:42 PM

If you have a DM who's willing to work with you, that sounds like a Sea Elf to me. Should be easy to modify a Wood Elf into an aquatic variant.

jaappleton
2017-06-27, 07:36 AM
Volo's Aasimar Monk

What? We all watched DBZ as a kid.

ZorroGames
2017-06-27, 09:43 AM
Volo's Aasimar Monk

What? We all watched DBZ as a kid.

If you mean Dragon Ball Z - never watched it.

Sigh, something else to visit Wikipedia for...

Hruken
2017-06-27, 12:23 PM
Monk / paladin multiclass. Easily one of the most MAD characters one can make.

Tavern brawler on a paladin would be the the smarter way to do it, but it doesn't fill the concept as well as I would like.

Also pure classed sorcerers who fight in melee. Not a good idea and leads to a lot of death saves, but is fun.

Jama7301
2017-06-27, 12:30 PM
I've had a fascination with a Fighter/Sorcerer build for almost 10 years now that I've never gotten to play. Former military man who was passed up for promotion due to the military adding more spellcasters to their ranks and in leadership positions. Tries to add it late in life, as a way to compensate and keep himself relevant in the world.

Sans.
2017-06-27, 01:36 PM
Diviner Wizard X/Knowledge Cleric 1. He grew up as a temple acolyte and asked the gods about his family, but received no answer. Frustrated, he decided that if he would not be blessed divine knowledge, he would instead seize power himself and contort the very weave and warp of magic to find his origins. But he's not powerful enough yet so he decided to go adventuring to find scrolls and possibly a teacher.

Vengeance Paladin X/Assassin Rogue 3. Strikes down from the shadows any with malevolent intent and the power to realise it. Basically the only stealthy paladin ever.

CrackedChair
2017-06-27, 02:09 PM
I seem to like the concept of an obese character adventuring. Especially how she could potentially lose the weight while on the adventure. Plus it makes for good roleplaying.

Fayd
2017-06-29, 12:32 PM
Anyone find that they have trouble avoiding certain alignments? I just seem towards good and lawful characters, whereas my wife gravitates towards chaotic characters.

MxKit
2017-06-29, 09:50 PM
Anyone find that they have trouble avoiding certain alignments? I just seem towards good and lawful characters, whereas my wife gravitates towards chaotic characters.

Ha, yes. I never play Evil, basically never play Lawful, and tend to make charcters that are either Chaotic Good, Chaotic Neutral, or True Neutral. Neutral Good is also okay, but for some reason I think I've only ever played that one once. I just like my "down with unjust authority!!!" and "in it for myself, but I have a huge soft spot for the people I consider My People" characters.

Dappershire
2017-06-30, 02:29 AM
To be honest, I get a kick out of playing characters with high scores in stats they don't need for their class. And middling to low scores in the ones they do.
It does tend to ruffle some jimmies in groups that enjoy playing OP characters. They like being better than my character. But not if I'm not even trying.

Drackolus
2017-06-30, 02:53 AM
To be honest, I get a kick out of playing characters with high scores in stats they don't need for their class. And middling to low scores in the ones they do.
It does tend to ruffle some jimmies in groups that enjoy playing OP characters. They like being better than my character. But not if I'm not even trying.

Only time it bugs me is if it feels like the party is punished with a tpk because someone is trolling. Really though, especially with bounded accuracy, tactics play a much, much bigger part in that than stat distribution. And I play in a pretty non-deadly group anyway :smalltongue: