PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Try Fighting Without Pants! AncientSpark's Guide to Dirty Tricks

AncientSpark
2017-06-06, 04:28 PM
Hey guys. On a whim, I decided to write up a handbook to the most creative combat maneuver in the game, the Dirty Trick! In the vein of the sadly outdated Trip handbook, I'm hoping this will give people some ideas of how to build a Dirty Trick character.

This is my first handbook, so feel free to leave any comments below.

Here it is! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BwoPsvITitct1SnAu6UyEerx4M3r1o7PYcz8tk872Bo/edit)

Psyren
2017-06-06, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the guide!

For Ranger, you said they have no CMB bonuses in class, but Favored Enemy applies to all their weapon attack rolls - that includes CMB if the weapon is applicable to the maneuver in question, which is what your guide is ultimately trying to do (so that we can plan to get +6-+8 to our DT check from the weapon alone.) This also means that buffs like Instant Enemy will apply as well. Even better if the Ranger's weapon of choice is one that could easily apply to dirty tricks like a natural weapon.

I would have ratings within each class. For example, you say Skulking Slayer is better than Vexing Dodger, but a color code would call that out much more easily. The final rating for the class would then be based on the breadth or quality of DT options available to it.

You should also look into the magical options - particularly for gish classes like the Magus or Alchemist. Both of these can get a pretty solid bonus to Dirty Trick, as can the Investigator.

Kurald Galain
2017-06-06, 05:17 PM
Looks good, but I think your color scheme could use some tweaking to make it clearer. You're using two different shades of blue for apparently the same thing; it's confusing to use black both for 'average rating' (which generally means 'not very good') and for 'unrated'; and numerous handbooks use purple for 'better than blue'. I'd recommend sticking to something simple like excellent, good, okay, poor or bad. HTH!