PDA

View Full Version : Where your comment sits on a thread

Aliquid
2017-06-06, 05:36 PM
Do you think the placing of a comment has an impact on how much it is read?

Meaning... If your comment is the last one on a page, do you think it will be noticed less than a comment that is the first one on the top of a new page? And do you care?

Liquor Box
2017-06-06, 07:14 PM

Meaning... If your comment is the last one on a page, do you think it will be noticed less than a comment that is the first one on the top of a new page? And do you care?
Yes, I do.

danzibr
2017-06-06, 08:20 PM

Oh absolutely. Especially if the thread is more than one page long. More than... 2 posts long, maybe. I nearly didn't read this:

Yes, I do.

factotum
2017-06-07, 01:54 AM
For people who just skim through without reading everything, I would say they're more likely to read the first and last posts on a page and skip the ones in the middle? Not that I care either way--hopefully some people read my comments and like them or even learn something from them, the fact most don't doesn't hurt me in any way, so why worry?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-07, 02:39 AM
Depends on the nature of the thread, though. If a thread is essentially a conversation between 4 or 5 people (which a lot are), I'd assume all of the posts get read with roughly the same level of attentiveness.

Aliquid
2017-06-07, 09:03 AM
Depends on the nature of the thread, though. If a thread is essentially a conversation between 4 or 5 people (which a lot are), I'd assume all of the posts get read with roughly the same level of attentiveness.With that in mind... do you bother joining a conversation that has already been going on for 5 pages? Or is the conversation too locked in with those 4-5 people by then, and your voice would just be ignored.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-07, 09:23 AM
With that in mind... do you bother joining a conversation that has already been going on for 5 pages?

Absolutely not. I wouldn't even open the thread most of the time if it looks like that's the case. In fact, my general cut off for 'this conversation is probably too developed for me to get into' is much shorter than 5 pages: I put it as 50 posts.

factotum
2017-06-07, 09:53 AM
I definitely disagree there. I have no problem joining a conversation that's been going for 5, 50 or 5,000 posts, so long as I think I can contribute something meaningful (or maybe just a silly joke if I'm in that sort of mood). Turn it around: what if this were real life and you were at a party with a dozen conversations going on? Will you just sit aside and not say anything because you feel all the existing conversations are too long-running to welcome you?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-06-07, 09:59 AM
Will you just sit aside and not say anything because you feel all the existing conversations are too long-running to welcome you?

Yes, that's exactly what I do. No one wants you muscling into their conversation they've been having for the last 10 minutes. You either get invited in, or you wait until they finish, then join in and start a new conversation.

factotum
2017-06-07, 03:05 PM
I don't think you have to "muscle in", and anyone who knows me would know I don't do that sort of thing. However, it's possible to hover on the edge of a conversation and find an opening to join in without "muscling in".

Jay R
2017-06-07, 04:37 PM
In a real-life conversation, you have to "muscle in", because when you're talking, nobody else can.

That doesn't apply to a forum discussion, and your comment doesn't slow down anybody else's typing at all. They can choose to ignore you and move on, or respond to your comment. So there is no "interrupting" as in the party discussion.

In fact, often you have two, three, or more parallel discussions going on in a single thread, not interfering with each other.

So I feel far more free to join in.

denthor
2017-06-07, 04:48 PM
Depends on the thread if I like the question I will read most if not all until about page six may not comment.

After 1page about 20 of blah blah I will reevaluate

Will comment mostly on 1st page

2nd page less

3rd forget it unless I was in the first 2 pages

2D8HP
2017-06-07, 07:03 PM
Very little keeps me from posting when the mood strikes...

I am really, really impressed by your ability to turn everything into a "old D&D was better" statement. Here we have a thread about tolerance for racial fetishes, and somehow you still manage to make your point!

You're like this forums Cato the Elder.

Carthago delenda est!

:wink:

The Eye
2017-06-07, 08:02 PM
The only moment this is not that relevant is when you are already participating of the conversation, but if your comment is the last of a page that is already in a heated argument, good luck being noticed, especially if you are not responding to someone directly.

2D8HP
2017-06-07, 08:45 PM
...good luck being noticed, especially if you are not responding to someone directly.

Unless you're obviously joking (and maybe even then), just post a strong statement that a particuliar Lawful or Chaotic D&D alignment is far superior to other alignments using real life historical actions that you cite as alignment "examples", in the "Friendly Banter" or "Roleplaying" Sub Forums.

Someone will likely respond (are you sure you want that?).

The Eye
2017-06-07, 09:04 PM
Unless you're obviously joking (and maybe even then), just post a strong statement that a particuliar Lawful or Chaotic D&D alignment is far superior to other alignments using real life historical actions that you cite as alignment "examples", in the "Friendly Banter" or "Roleplaying" Sub Forums.

Someone will likely respond (are you sure you want that?).

But that goes against common sense and will likely send the whole thread off topic

Winter_Wolf
2017-06-07, 09:04 PM
As a rule I don't get involved in threads that run for several pages unless I've been entertained by the thing to actually read most or all of the posts. There are cases where I think I've essentially seen certain posters actually say "this is the way the thread is moving now; if you're not contributing to that keep silent." I won't name names or specific threads, but I'm not going to pretend people don't get pretty elitist when they're on their pet topic/soapbox/peeve(hate).

Also I'll be more likely to read posts at the tops or bottoms of pages but skip the middle of page posts. And Odin help you if your post is long--I mean loooooooooooooong. It's almost certainly going to get skimmed the first time and skipped every subsequent time I see (((username))) presenting a novella as post. Most of said people seem unwilling to just go back and read their post and edit a bit before submitting it. Maybe that's the only way they know to say what they want to say, but once I see something heading into "depends on what your definition of 'is', is," territory I'm done.

2D8HP
2017-06-07, 09:43 PM
But that goes against common sense and will likely send the whole thread off topic

Ho boy does would it ever!

Looks like you want a response from people who're posting to it a particular thread then.

PM them?

@Eye, I just read yoir post that's the last post of a thread.

I don't disagree with your post, so I would have no response other than: "Eye has a good point".

BORING!

Where's the sport in that?

Now if instead I was in a mood to write "Eye's post was AWESOME!", or "Eye's post was LAME!", that would be sporting, but really I not posting to that thread, because:

1) The OP's question looks like to much work to answer.

2) I don't actually want to post anything that will hurt feelings, and my response to the OP would be along the lines of, "I can't follow all this, can you shorten it?".

I know I've written long heartfelt posts, in which all the responses were to an off topic joke that I absent-mindedly threw in.

Comme ci comme ça.

GAAD
2017-06-12, 06:59 PM
I find my comments tend to sit near the spool. I just hate needles.