PDA

View Full Version : Gaining HD as a Player Character

Kerrigor
2017-06-06, 06:45 PM
Okay. So I haven't played a half-dragon in years, because an old group soured them for me. Back then I was too young to use all the nuances. It was just a sort of "I'm a dragon! Yippee!"
I'm ready to try it again, and this time, I'd like to know what I'm doing.
I'm building a character, a half dragon Dragonborn of Bahamut. If you're gonna do it, go all the way, right?
I'm choosing the Heart aspect.
"Heart (Su): A dragonborn who chooses heart as her draconic aspect gains a breath weapon. The breath weapon is a bright, shining line that coruscates with every metallic color. The line's length is 5 feet per Hit Die the dragonborn has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the dragonborn possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on each use as the dragonborn chooses. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the dragonborn's HD + her Con modifier) halves the damage. A dragonborn can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds."
My question is this: A) What is the difference between the HD that determines the length and damage of my breath and the HD that determines my Hit Points, if any? Are they the same thing and I'm making this needlessly complicated or not?
B) If they are different, how would I go about gaining Hit Die to improve my breath weapon?

Mike Miller
2017-06-06, 06:49 PM
They are the same thing. By leveling, you gain HD.

Kerrigor
2017-06-06, 08:36 PM
Thank you. So as I level, that will get better.

ShurikVch
2017-06-07, 03:57 PM
I'm building a character, a half dragon Dragonborn of Bahamut. If you're gonna do it, go all the way, right?Unfortunately, it may be not the best idea to combine them.

The most likely scenario is: you place Dragonborn transformation on top of Half-Dragon template - Dragonborns aren't reproducing sexually, so placing Half-Dragon on top doesn't make a sense (unless you go Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) for it)

During the Dragonborn's Rite of Rebirth you will lose your claws, bite, natural AC, Breath Weapon, and additional immunity, but keep Dragon type, ability scores increase, wings (if Large+ size), and LA: +3

Jormengand
2017-06-07, 04:14 PM
Unfortunately, it may be not the best idea to combine them.

The most likely scenario is: you place Dragonborn transformation on top of Half-Dragon template - Dragonborns aren't reproducing sexually, so placing Half-Dragon on top doesn't make a sense (unless you go Dragon Disciple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/dragonDisciple.htm) for it)

During the Dragonborn's Rite of Rebirth you will lose your claws, bite, natural AC, Breath Weapon, and additional immunity, but keep Dragon type, ability scores increase, wings (if Large+ size), and LA: +3

Half-dragon is acquired or inherited, so you can get the two in either order - half-dragon doesn't usually mean one of your parents was literally a dragon.

EDIT: Never mind, thinking of the wrong edition.

ATHATH
2017-06-07, 06:20 PM
Why not just play a Dragonfire Adept or the like?

Celestia
2017-06-07, 06:43 PM
Dragonborn is a "template" that you place on races that get crap or no abilities, like goblins, orcs, gnolls, and half-elves. Placing it on a half-dragon is a bad idea because you will simply lose too much. The trade off is not worth it, especially since you keep all of the half-dragon's LA. I'd go one or the other.

RedWarlock
2017-06-07, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing that they're using Dragonborn as a race (even though it is normally used as a template, added to another race) with Half-Dragon added on top.

If not, what's the base race under the Dragonborn template? It's like X+1+3, but we never solved for X?

Thurbane
2017-06-07, 07:14 PM
OP - as others have said please be aware that if you put Dragonborn on top of an existing Half-Dragon, you will wipe out pretty much everything except ability modifiers you get from Half-Dragon, including the breath weapon. You keep movement modes, so if you were a Half-dragon with wings (which requires a large race) you'd keep that, too.

Also as others have said, Dragonfire Adept may be a good idea to be more "dragonish".

Dragon Disciple will also make you a Half-dragon while still allowing you to remain Dragonborn - what kind of character are you looking for? If it's melee, you could go Warblade 4/Duskblade 1/DD 10/Warblade +6; it's not great, but you might be able to convince your DM that DD advances your initiator level 1/1.

If you're looking at a caster-type or skillmonkey, DD should be avoided.

Zanos
2017-06-07, 07:58 PM
Half-dragon is acquired or inherited, so you can get the two in either order - half-dragon doesn't usually mean one of your parents was literally a dragon.

EDIT: Never mind, thinking of the wrong edition.
Indeed, in 3.5 a dragon will have sex with basically anything.

I think Silvers and Steels are particularly bad about this.

Kerrigor
2017-06-15, 02:18 AM
Ok. So. The reason this was made a thing is because the DM asked us to write a backstory. Essentially, the character was born as a Goliath. His mother died during childbirth, and a grief-blind father wrapped the infant in rags, placed it next to the corpse of his wife, and pronounced the child exiled for murder. The child was found hours later by a dwarven patrol and taken back to the dwarven citadel once known as Shadowfell. The clerics of Moradin did what they could, but the child had partially succumbed to frostbite, losing his sight, an arm, and various other pieces of skin. He wandered around, and even though he was blind, he met the young gold dragon residing near the citadel. It was from this dragon that the young goliath learned his numbers, letters, history, and religion. The young goliath, by this time named Terradin, was especially curious about Bahamut. Yada yada yada, he becomes a Dragonborn. The Platinum Dragon himself oversees Terradin's rite of rebirth (a 99 was rolled for a Divine Intervention, otherwise this character would have been very different) When the Goliath awakens 36 hours later, he has both his arms (one notably draconic)and his sight, as well as all the normal Dragonborn stuff.
My DM offered to let me take Half Dragon one level at a time for a total of three levels, each level giving me roughly 1/3 of the benefits to show the lasting effects of Bahamut's blessing.
I want to do a holy warrior-esque feel, but definitely something tanky.

Fouredged Sword
2017-06-15, 01:27 PM
Indeed, in 3.5 a dragon will have sex with basically anything.

I think Silvers and Steels are particularly bad about this.

And that is why we have half dragon gelatinous cubes. What is the point in having immunity to acid damage if you aren't going to use it?

The_Jette
2017-06-15, 01:48 PM
Ok. So. The reason this was made a thing is because the DM asked us to write a backstory. Essentially, the character was born as a Goliath. His mother died during childbirth, and a grief-blind father wrapped the infant in rags, placed it next to the corpse of his wife, and pronounced the child exiled for murder. The child was found hours later by a dwarven patrol and taken back to the dwarven citadel once known as Shadowfell. The clerics of Moradin did what they could, but the child had partially succumbed to frostbite, losing his sight, an arm, and various other pieces of skin. He wandered around, and even though he was blind, he met the young gold dragon residing near the citadel. It was from this dragon that the young goliath learned his numbers, letters, history, and religion. The young goliath, by this time named Terradin, was especially curious about Bahamut. Yada yada yada, he becomes a Dragonborn. The Platinum Dragon himself oversees Terradin's rite of rebirth (a 99 was rolled for a Divine Intervention, otherwise this character would have been very different) When the Goliath awakens 36 hours later, he has both his arms (one notably draconic)and his sight, as well as all the normal Dragonborn stuff.
My DM offered to let me take Half Dragon one level at a time for a total of three levels, each level giving me roughly 1/3 of the benefits to show the lasting effects of Bahamut's blessing.

You should go Paladin/Platinum Knight. TO it is not. Fun? Yes. Fits the character concept? Absolutely! Bahamut's Grace Stacks with Divine Grace for double your Charisma bonus to all Saves. :smallbiggrin:

RedWarlock
2017-06-15, 03:57 PM
Ok. So.

Yada yada yada, he becomes a Dragonborn. The Platinum Dragon himself oversees Terradin's rite of rebirth (a 99 was rolled for a Divine Intervention, otherwise this character would have been very different) When the Goliath awakens 36 hours later, he has both his arms (one notably draconic)and his sight, as well as all the normal Dragonborn stuff.
Good on your DM for working that in, that all sounds great. If you're not, maybe point out the Template Class for Half Dragon from here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a

How did your DM want to juggle the breath weapon from Half-Dragon on top of the dragonborn breath? It's better damage initially but has limited usage without a feat (Dragon Breath from Races of the Dragon, IIRC), though I could see swapping it out for something else if you want to stick with the DB's version.

Crusader would work nicely there, if it's allowed.

ShurikVch
2017-06-15, 05:55 PM
You should go Paladin/Platinum Knight. TO it is not. Fun? Yes. Fits the character concept? Absolutely! Bahamut's Grace Stacks with Divine Grace for double your Charisma bonus to all Saves. :smallbiggrin:And if game will go up to 16+ levels, he may enter into the Sacred Warder of Bahamut (assuming he will got prerequisites)

tiercel
2017-06-15, 11:05 PM
how would I go about gaining Hit Die to improve my breath weapon?

Anything that grants bonus/temporary hit dice will also help, notably inspire greatness bardsong...