PDA

View Full Version : How shall I roleplay a Gold digger?

CrackedChair
2017-06-06, 09:45 PM
So first of all, let me give a description of a Gold digger...

"Gold digging is a type of transactional relationship in which people, usually women, engage in romantic relationships for money rather than love. When it turns into marriage it is a type of marriage of convenience."

Basically the character I want to make is a woman who wants to do this stuff in order to raise money. I thought that she could have a legitimate reason to do such a thing, perhaps to give back to needy people or something like that, but generally she will be spending her time trying to get coins from men to support the less fortunate.

So how shall I build such a person? How will I roleplay her effectively and what stats and skills shall I take?

Naanomi
2017-06-06, 09:50 PM
Not really much of an 'adventurer' by most standards...

I'd go with the Charlatan background, and either be a Lore Bard, or either an Assassin or Mastermind Rogue... high charisma either way; and the Actor fear... a 'master of disguise' type character in a way. Race... V Human, Half Elf, maybe Lightfoot Halfling?

If you want to be a more proactive about it, you could always seduce and marry actively Evil folks and 'black widow' them... get poison kit Proficiency for the classic route

Jerrykhor
2017-06-06, 09:54 PM
Make sure to stock up on Philter of Loves too.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-06, 10:01 PM
Honestly any Charisma class would work. I like the classic Warlock made pact for Beauty idea (Fey or Fiend fit). Heck you could do Swashbuckler or Ancients Paladin. Charlatan and Actor would be helpful if you want focus on that but it's a bit iffy, what's the Campaign? I doubt it will come up fighting CHUDs in the Underdark.

polymphus
2017-06-06, 10:09 PM
Okay so a couple of tips:

1) take their money while they're in need
2) yeah, be a trifling friend indeed
3) don't mess with no broke (broke)
4) don't mess with Kanye West
4 (i) he knows your business
4 (ii) you know he the best

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-06-06, 10:15 PM
My current character is a Lore Bard and I second the Lore Bard choice.

You'll be versatile enough to defend yourself and help your team plus have access to spells which can help with gold digging.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-06, 10:20 PM
Of you need inspiration look at Charlette from Fire Emble Fates. She's a rather ruthless girl who plays girly so that she can get money to send home to her sick parents if i recall correctly. The way to create that nuance is to create 2 personalities for your character, the clearly fake gold digger side and the true side. Making the different sides foil eachother makes for good juxtaposition and a more easily portrayed character

IShouldntBehere
2017-06-06, 10:21 PM
I think the first step would be to avoiding missing with broke ....

tahu88810
2017-06-07, 01:47 AM

Honestly if you need more advice than this you're barking up the wrong tree with your character concept.

90sMusic
2017-06-07, 03:01 AM
I don't know about all that, but I played a Mermaid Bard once who was obsessed with marrying the prince in the campaign setting. She just wanted to be a queen because she thought that the fame, power, and money would be awesome and the prince was pretty handsome as well.

And holy crap, I never realized all these years until just now when I wrote that first sentence that I was basically The Little Mermaid.

Another thing I did, more recently, was playing a Great Old One Warlock who I played essentially like she was a succubus. She too wanted to bag a prince but he wasn't as interested in her. So I continued to try to woo him in various ways until I hit level 14. Then I beat the crap out of him until he fell unconscious and turned him into my thrall. Thrall effect is permanent unless you use it on another creature or someone removes curse from him, so I had him under my spell forever at that point. Can also communicate over any distance telepathically with him, so I was able to do all kinds of cool stuff.

Corran
2017-06-07, 06:34 AM
Elf bard is what I would go with (because sexy musicians), naturally expertise in all of persuasion, deception and performance. Adding 3 levels in arcane trickster could be handy too, using your bonus action to mage-hand-steal from the victims you enthrall. Friends (beware of the drawback, but feel free to spam if you are moving to another place and you do not intend on coming back - besides, the somatic component of that cantrip just fits....), charm person, suggestion are all useful low level spells. Later on, geas, dominate person, etc, you get the jist. One particularly interesting case could be to use the spell dream, to possibly influence a creature's will, if you tangle enough with their dreams/subconscious (DM fiat, I guess).

About the character's motivations, hmmm, stealing money to give to the poor is just so.... cliche. She could instead be into all of this (being a gold digger, as well as an adventurer), because she wants to put enough money on the side to prepare for her retirement. A comfy lifestyle and a gigolo for when she is gray and old.

Why elf?
Banshees are the undead remnants of elves who, blessed with great beauty, failed to use their gift to bring joy to the world. Instead, they used their beauty to corrupt and control others. Elves afflicted by the banshee's curse experience no gladness, feeling only distress in the presence of the Jiving. As the curse takes its toll, their minds and bodies decay, until death completes their transformation into undead monsters.

To end her story with a twist!

@90sMusic: Hahahaha, ''prince didnt want me, tried to woo him and still didnt want me, reached 14th level goolock, beat the crap out of him and made him my thrall''! THIS.IS.AWESOME.

JellyPooga
2017-06-07, 07:56 AM
Why elf?
Banshees are the undead remnants of elves who, blessed with great beauty, failed to use their gift to bring joy to the world. Instead, they used their beauty to corrupt and control others. Elves afflicted by the banshee's curse experience no gladness, feeling only distress in the presence of the Jiving. As the curse takes its toll, their minds and bodies decay, until death completes their transformation into undead monsters.

Do Banshees have a problem with people dancing? :smallconfused:

NecroDancer
2017-06-07, 08:09 AM
Well first I suggest taking spells like stone shape, move earth, and locate object to help with the mining effort. Next be a dwarf for stonecunning. As for classes I can see an argument for underdark ranger if you want to be best suited for mining or a transumation wizard if you want to mine lead and then turn it into gold. Don't dump strength because you will need it for digging. Take skills like perception, investigation, and athletics.

Maxilian
2017-06-07, 09:00 AM
Take the noble background, change the servant to be your sugar daddy / mommy, they normally get the loot, but you have them in the palm of your hand, so you can, mostly, take what you want, but.... you also have to protect your sugar daddy (cause you love the idea of a comfortable life without much problem, you're on an adventure cause your sugar daddy / mommy is having some "family" problems, and by that i mean that their father died and that your sugar daddy / mommy is fighting his / her brothers and sisters for the money -thankfully your sugar daddy's dad only declared 2 of their sons, so they are the only ones with true power to ask for it (but the rest of the brothers and sister allied with this one cause he would "give everyone a fair share"-)

CrackedChair
2017-06-07, 11:13 AM
Of you need inspiration look at Charlette from Fire Emble Fates. She's a rather ruthless girl who plays girly so that she can get money to send home to her sick parents if i recall correctly. The way to create that nuance is to create 2 personalities for your character, the clearly fake gold digger side and the true side. Making the different sides foil eachother makes for good juxtaposition and a more easily portrayed character

I was actually basing my PC around her! I'd imagine PC being some sort of Barbarian or Fighter and pumping up Strength for fighting, and Charisma to be all sweet with (potentially rich) men and whatnot.

I do appreciate all these tips on being a gold digger! Thank you!

DragonBaneDM
2017-06-07, 11:17 AM

Well first I suggest taking spells like stone shape, move earth, and locate object to help with the mining effort. Next be a dwarf for stonecunning. As for classes I can see an argument for underdark ranger if you want to be best suited for mining or a transumation wizard if you want to mine lead and then turn it into gold. Don't dump strength because you will need it for digging. Take skills like perception, investigation, and athletics.

Oh man. I didn't know we were going to have a best comment fight, friends.

Unoriginal
2017-06-07, 11:29 AM
Do Banshees have a problem with people dancing? :smallconfused:

Their friends don't dance and if they don't dance, they're no friends of mine.

And being no friends of mine is a problem when you're a gold digger.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-07, 11:42 AM
I can see two approaches to this: The first is being a rogue that becomes the type of woman (or man, just in case, let's cover all of our bases here with crossdressing) for the mark of the day. Whatever they like, you become. Then you grab their money and run off with it.

The second is having a particular mark, and become what they want. Perhaps the character wants to destroy a particular man (or woman) and sets out to ruin their marriage, turn their kids against them and steal all of their money.

If you want to be less sterotypical, I'd have the character be female but pretending to be a man like Catalina de Erasuo. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_de_Erauso) Also gives you a handy-dandy 'disguise' if you get caught.

Personally, I like the angle of the character having a more selfless goal, but I wouldn't make it healing sick parents because you might be able to do that early on. Giving the gold to the poor just leaves a giant trial of where the money went. Perhaps the character has a thing against corrupt nobility and weakens them to be taken over by rivals that do their duty and take care of their people?

Arcangel4774
2017-06-07, 04:09 PM
I was actually basing my PC around her! I'd imagine PC being some sort of Barbarian or Fighter and pumping up Strength for fighting, and Charisma to be all sweet with (potentially rich) men and whatnot.

I do appreciate all these tips on being a gold digger! Thank you!

Barbarian works very well if you want to emulate her, especially as her "cannon" class is berserker.