PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter Class

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-06, 11:37 PM
Who's played it? Is it fun / does it work?

Matticusrex
2017-06-07, 12:11 AM
It was great until they released the Hexblade archetype for the warlock. Hexblade is more or less a pure upgrade over blood hunter while keeping most of it's themes.

Kane0
2017-06-07, 12:28 AM
Yeah, works fine. It's got some neat tricks, just be careful of your HPs.

RSP
2017-06-07, 01:10 AM
The lycan was fun to play. I think there's some fun aspects of it, though the hp loss on its signature ability is a rough, particularly with TWF (which probably didn't need anymore negatives associated with it).

Demonslayer666
2017-06-07, 12:51 PM
I have, but not for very long.

He does in fact work, and is fun and different to play.

I made him dex based with TWF, and that clashes with the bonus actions Blood Hunters use for their abilities (activating the Crimson Rite, Blood Maledict Cursing, and drinking a mutagen). Plus it hurts to activate Rites on both weapons, but not too bad. I took Sentinel and it synergizes very well, making for lots of attacks with the Rite active. I have not found the mutagens very useful yet.

It would have been more efficient to go strength with a two-handed sword so the rounds activating abilities didn't suffer damage-wise, but that went against my character concept I had in mind and wanted to play.

HP are always taking a hit at the start of combat, even though it's a light one, so make sure you have a high Con to minimize the costs (a healer is also handy).

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 03:48 PM
It's a bit busy for a 5e class, which are typically more streamlined, BUT the Order of the Mutant has great versatility without resorting to spellcasting. The Order of the Lycan is the most balanced way I've seen to play a Werecreature. Just be careful not to kill yourself with those crimson rites.