PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is Gunslinger/Swashbuckler/ a viable build?

EisenKreutzer
2017-06-07, 12:08 AM
I'm thinking up a Gunslinger/Swashbuckler for when my Barbarian inevitably dies in a very deadly campaign a friend of mine is running.

EDIT: So Trench Fighter doesn't stack with Gunslinger for Dex to damage. Got it.

Is Gunslinger/Swashbuckler workable? What Feats do I need to make a viable sword and pistol fighter with these two classes?
I was thinking of combining Pikaroon and Pistolero and fight with sword and pistol. It seems like a semi-bad idea since there is little feat support for TWF sword and pistol.
Is it doable?

Arutema
2017-06-07, 12:13 AM
I'm thinking up a Gunslinger/Swashbuckler for when my Barbarian inevitably dies in a very deadly campaign a friend of mine is running.

I've seen the Trench Fighter archetype and a 3 level dip seems interesting for the first Trench Warfare bonus. Since both Gunslinger and Trench Fighter give "a bonus equal to their Dex modifier" to firearm damage rolls, which seems to be an untyped bonus to me, they should stack giving double Dex to damage.

Am I completely wrong here? Is it just a waste of three levels (though they are Fighter levels so I would get full BAB progression and a few nice Feats)?

They don't stack, because they both come from the same source: your Dex modifier. Relevant FAQ. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk)

EisenKreutzer
2017-06-07, 12:23 AM
They don't stack, because they both come from the same source: your Dex modifier. Relevant FAQ. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgk)

Thanks! It's back to the drawing board I guess.

EisenKreutzer
2017-06-07, 01:05 AM
I've edited the original post to reflect my change of plans.

BladeofObliviom
2017-06-16, 03:53 PM
There isn't much feat support for Sword and Pistol, but there is a Sword and Pistol feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sword-and-pistol-combat/) that's good enough to make the entire Picaroon archetype redundant. (Which is good, because Picaroon is really bad.)

It may be worth considering the Mysterious Stranger archetype for Gunslinger, as Swashbuckler abilities synergize with Charisma and Gunslinger abilities scale with wisdom by default.

eldskald
2017-06-16, 06:16 PM
The problem with Swashbucklers is that they scale with level, therefore dips are not really recommended unless you just want something very specific. In that case, look into the Inspired Blade. It gives you Weapon Finesse and Weapon Focus for rapiers, all the requirements for the Fencing Grace feat. Then you might want Quick Draw to change between blade and pistol easier. Still, I would prefer the fighter for heavy armors and more feats, or even just stick with the Gunslinger. Gunslingers might be the best dpt in the game. When they get to lv 11, they get access to Signature Deed feat and things get pretty ugly.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-06-16, 07:32 PM
5 levels of Mysterious Stranger/Pistolero Gunslinger into 15 in Inspired Blade with Sword and Pistol sounds fairly good to me if you're starting at 6+.