PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A How many corpses make terrain 'difficult'?

SirNibbles
2017-06-07, 01:41 AM
Let's say I'm holding a doorway so my allies can escape (see picture below). I have 10 foot reach, so I get AoOs on any enemy who tries to move through either square.

How many corpses would I need to drop in each of the two golden squares to make that 'difficult terrain'?
http://i.imgur.com/ZZRAxvO.png

Elysiume
2017-06-07, 01:52 AM
There's this PF rule in the combat section:

Opponent: You can't move through a square occupied by an opponent unless the opponent is helpless. You can move through a square occupied by a helpless opponent without penalty. Some creatures, particularly very large ones, may present an obstacle even when helpless. In such cases, each square you move through counts as 2 squares.So there's a basis for a corpse being difficult terrain, given that a corpse and a helpless creature are similar in terms of how they fill a square. The question is what defines "very large." Maybe a large creature makes all 4 squares difficult terrain, and 2 medium creatures piled up make 1 square difficult terrain? Conceptually, two 6' corpses plus gear lying haphazardly in a 5x5 space is going to be really hard to get around.

OldTrees1
2017-06-07, 02:13 AM
Depends on the DM, the existing terrain, the nature of the corpses, and the surroundings.

Difficult terrain is likened to debris heavy enough to be a +5 balance check DC.
One medium sized corpse only takes up a fraction of a square.
Corpses would attempt to fall off to either side (making the answer larger for the bottom square than the top square).
Corpses are a soft, somewhat uneven, but not too yielding surface.

I would rule 3 corpses for the upper square and 4 corpses for the lower square. Although I believe corpses count as obstacles rather than difficult terrain (the difference being you can still unambiguously run/charge over corpses).

Difficult terrain includes heavy debris, shallow water, slopes that can be walked up, undergrowth, and similar environmental factors that slow and hamper movement.

Like difficult terrain, obstacles can hamper movement. If an obstacle hampers movement but doesn’t completely block it, each obstructed square costs double the normal movement cost.

Surface ModifiersDC modifier
Severely obstructed (natural cavern floor, heavy debris)+5

You can’t run or charge across difficult terrain.

-snip-

Flying and incorporeal creatures aren’t hampered by difficult terrain.

You can make a Balance check to charge across a precarious surface, but you take a –5 penalty on the check for each multiple of your speed (or fraction thereof) that you charge.