PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Mass Combat System

Dr paradox
2017-06-07, 04:06 AM
I'm heading into a short run campaign that's gonna feature a bit of a departure for me - higher level, world saving stakes where the players get an army of cohorts and the backing of a major nation in their quest.

That in mind, I'm trying to figure out just what system to use for throwing their army up against the undead horde. Any suggestions? I liked the principle of the recent UA material, but the math didn't hold up, and ideally unit sizes should fall closer to the 50-100 men range.

Thanks!

Mutazoia
2017-06-07, 04:15 AM
I'm heading into a short run campaign that's gonna feature a bit of a departure for me - higher level, world saving stakes where the players get an army of cohorts and the backing of a major nation in their quest.

That in mind, I'm trying to figure out just what system to use for throwing their army up against the undead horde. Any suggestions? I liked the principle of the recent UA material, but the math didn't hold up, and ideally unit sizes should fall closer to the 50-100 men range.

Thanks!

The old 2e "Battlesystem (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/16943/Battlesystem-Miniatures-Rules-2e?it=1)" rules could be what you are looking for, with a little work to update them for 5e. It was used quite heavily in the "Bloodstone" series of modules, most notably "Bloodstone Pass".

Veldrenor
2017-06-07, 08:03 AM
Dralnu's Army of the Damned (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwdEVBYUhrdGdZaW8/view) adventure has some mass combat stuff in it for running a siege in chapter 3, you could give it a look.

clash
2017-06-07, 12:00 PM
Really simple system I have used:
Use normal monster stats except

Monster = unit of monsters
HP = number of troops

Roll everything as normal with one caveat:
After rolling dmg
if the unit attacking is less than 25% number of monsters(hp) make it 1/4 dmg rolled
if the unit attacking is less than 50% number of monsters(hp) make it 1/2 dmg rolled
if the unit attacking is less than 75% number of monsters(hp) make it 3/4 dmg rolled