PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New 5e Feat - Dance Spell

Oerlaf
2017-06-07, 08:53 AM
Dance Spell
Prerequisites: Dexterity 13, proficiency in Performance skill
Your dances become so beautiful and sensual that they begin to posess nearly magical properties. This feat grants you the following benefits:

Whenever you cast a spell using a spellslot of 1st level or higher that has a casting time of 1 Action or 1 Bonus Action, you may substitute a dance for a verbal component or for a material component worth 10 gp or less (but not both). If you do, make a Charisma (Performance) check against a DC equal to 10 + twice the spell's level. If you succeed on the check, the spell works normally, otherwise it fails and produces no effect.
You have advantage on Constitution saving throws to maintain Concentration on any spell cast using this feat.
If you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell cast using this feat, you may use your reaction to gain resistance to that damage only. You may use this benefit only once on a particular spell.

Hillsy7
2017-06-07, 09:22 AM
Dance Spell
Whenever you cast a spell using a spellslot of 1st level or higher that has a casting time of 1 Action or 1 Bonus Action, you may substitute a dance for a verbal component or for a material component worth 10 gp or less (but not both). If you do, make a Charisma (Performance) check against a DC equal to 10 + twice the spell's level. If you succeed on the check, the spell works normally, otherwise it fails and produces no effect.

Ouch - this is too much of a nerf for me. Even if there was only a 5% chance (no nat 1) that your spell would simply not work I'd raise an eyebrow. Let alone needing to make a possible DC 20 check on a level 5 spell slot - even with full proficiency and 20 charisma, that's only a +11! Meaning you've got a 40% chance of just wasting a spell slot. I just wouldn't use it, considering the alternative is always having your spells work. For this to be a worthwhile trade-off you'd need to have a whole load of situations where either you'll be silenced, or you need to be quiet before the KA-BOOM of a fireball.....

Feels more like a ribbon ability for a bard......handy every now and then in specific circumstances, but otherwise pointless....

Lalliman
2017-06-07, 09:29 AM
Interesting idea, but... do you lose the spell if you fail the dance check? If yes, it doesn't seem worth the risk. Due to bounded accuracy, you'll pretty much never be safe from failing the check, unless you have Expertise. Or well, a 17th level character with 20 Charisma will be safe from failing a 1st level spell. Anything above that is never safe.

I guess you could make it work fairly well if you play a half caster and you dip bard or rogue for Expertise in Performance. But if a feat requires multiclassing to be worthwhile, then it's probably not very well designed.

I think you could afford to lower the dance DC by a lot. Maybe 8 + spell level. There shouldn't need to be a big cost attached to the benefits, because spending your ASI on this feat is a big cost already.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-07, 10:09 AM
How does this work with wild magic.im taking it I'm testing it.bladesinger wild sorc away

clash
2017-06-07, 11:37 AM
If I may suggest a few changes:

Whenever you cast a spell using a spellslot of 1st level or higher that has a casting time of 1 Action or 1 Bonus Action, you may substitute a dance for a verbal component or for a material component worth 10 gp or less (but not both). If you do, you spend half your movement for the turn dancing in place.

You have advantage on Constitution saving throws to maintain Concentration on any spell cast using this feat.

If you take damage while you are concentrating on a spell cast using this feat, you may use your reaction to move half your speed without triggering an opportunity attack from the creature caused the damage.