PDA

View Full Version : For those DM that say watching is boring. ..

denthor
2017-06-07, 11:39 AM
I personally do not find watching a game completely enjoyable.
I do ask to watch at least two games of any given game before asking to join if the game is full.

Reasons are simply to see if I like the players, style plot and how the DM runs his game.

Would any of you find this acceptable?

For all I know I am out of line

I do not normally stay for more than an hour of play.

Vitruviansquid
2017-06-07, 11:41 AM
Why not instead of watching, actually play a session as a trial?

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-07, 11:53 AM
I'm a little confused by what you mean by 'Asking to join if the game is full'.

Personally, I'd rather that you played then watched. As a DM, I don't want to spend 3 sessions to know if a player is compatible with my style when they could just play initially.

denthor
2017-06-07, 12:43 PM
While I agree with the two above the question is if game is full no longer letting others join.

Would you run a solo?

In the last 20 years I have only had two DM'S everything else is full. Attempts to start new campaign got no response. Could be me.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-07, 01:14 PM
While I agree with the two above the question is if game is full no longer letting others join.

If the game is full, the game is full. Trying to watch to 'join' or asking for a solo game may be related to why you weren't invited...The first seems dishonest in your intentions, and the second seems entitled.

Perhaps you should try your hand at DMing or making some nice one-shots if there aren't any games around.

Satinavian
2017-06-07, 02:54 PM
If a game is full, i would certainly not bringing in new players to "watch". RPGs are not meant to have spectators and players and GMs tend to be more relaxed without some onlookers anyway.

I might allow it, if someone is contemplating to join and the group is not full. But even then only one evening, not three.

SiCK_Boy
2017-06-07, 06:22 PM
RPGs are not meant to have spectators

Critical Role and plenty of other shows would disagree with that statement.

Madara
2017-06-07, 11:05 PM
Critical Role and plenty of other shows would disagree with that statement.

One example does not a rule make. Furthermore, you'll note that those shows make a great effort not to interact or notice watchers while playing. Interviews with the more famous DMs involve them mentioning the increased nerves and discomfort that comes from streaming or knowing there is a viewership. This combined with an assembly of voice *actors* makes it pretty clear that we can't use it to assume tabletop gaming as a spectating activity.

Kardwill
2017-06-08, 03:06 AM
Attempts to start new campaign got no response. Could be me.
A new campaign is an heavy time investment, so I would probably hesitate if a semi-stranger offered to do it (or asked one from me). Maybe you should start with one-shots, to acquaint yourself with the other players and see if you're confortable together?

When I was playing in a club, the traditional ice-breaker was a Call of Chtulhu one shot. At least, in this game, nobody complains if half the PCs are dead by the end of the evening, so you don't have to bother about planning a campaign afterward ^^

Kami2awa
2017-06-08, 04:20 PM
I used to firmly believe rpgs are not a spectator sport, but recently had that idea challenged by a potential new player happily and politely observing a session. It's not a bad idea especially given the effort required in some systems to make a PC, which slows down new players in joining the actual game. I wouldn't bother if the game is "full" however.