PDA

View Full Version : Escape the Horde on a Ranger with the Mobile Feat

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 11:45 AM
Is Escape the Horde worth it on a Ranger that already has Mobile? It seems like I might get use out of it if I haven't made a melee attack against that creature, but that will likely be rare on this Melee Ranger.

Would it just be better to grab Multi-attack Defense?

mephnick
2017-06-07, 11:52 AM
If you really want your ranger to be mobile and have freedom to run around in combat I'd probably still take it, mostly because the other two options aren't that great.

Multiattack Defense is only good if you actually get hit by the first attack (90% of creatures don't have more than 2 attacks) and Steel Will really depends on what you're fighting. Escape the Horde can be useful every round.

Specter
2017-06-07, 11:58 AM
I don't think so. You already have a means of not provoking op. attacks, so a means to reduce their to-hit chance is redundant. Plus, as a melee ranger you shouldn't be running from enemies too often.

I'll vouch for Multiattack Defense, because it allows you to go toe-to-foe with powerful melee enemies and make up for your average AC.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 01:03 PM
If you really want your ranger to be mobile and have freedom to run around in combat I'd probably still take it, mostly because the other two options aren't that great.

Multiattack Defense is only good if you actually get hit by the first attack (90% of creatures don't have more than 2 attacks) and Steel Will really depends on what you're fighting. Escape the Horde can be useful every round.

These are good points. Even as a Melee focused ranger I'm likely to spend some rounds casting a spell or firing a bow. So there is still some utility there. Steel Will seemed like the least likely to come up.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 01:05 PM
I don't think so. You already have a means of not provoking op. attacks, so a means to reduce their to-hit chance is redundant. Plus, as a melee ranger you shouldn't be running from enemies too often.

I'll vouch for Multiattack Defense, because it allows you to go toe-to-foe with powerful melee enemies and make up for your average AC.

You make a good case too. While monsters with multi attack might be few, I'm sure it's very handy when it does come up, and they're probably more likely to show up at higher levels.

Citan
2017-06-07, 01:17 PM
Is Escape the Horde worth it on a Ranger that already has Mobile? It seems like I might get use out of it if I haven't made a melee attack against that creature, but that will likely be rare on this Melee Ranger.

It mainly depends on your tactics.
a) If you are an Archer, it's probably worthless, because you won't be threatened that often by OA in the first place.
b) If you are a TWF warrior that sticks into the frontline, it may be worth sometimes but probably not that important though because the Mobile effect will generally be enough, unless you are the only one tanking (Extra Attack + Horde Breaker + bonus action OR Whirlwind means you can easily get free disengage on 3-4 enemies).
c) If you are the striker that rushes straight through the opposing frontlines to go strike a bad guy far behind, then it would be golden. But, honestly, I don't see why a Ranger would ever take that role: you are not a Monk (lesser AC, far lesser mobility), and your class basically screams "swap melee and ranged depending on the situation" since most of your features work equally well (as opposite to a Paladin for example). So I see no reason for a pure Ranger to risk himself like this. Now for some multiclasses it would be a different story.

TL;DR: Unless you find yourself very often threatened by multiples OA (which is imo a strong indication that there is something you are not doing right, but that's another story) I'd actually take Steel Will: frightened is a very bad condition to suffer and in most campaigns it becomes a more and more susceptible tactic as you level. Multiattack Defense is great in the bonus provided, but AFAIK there are only few creatures that attack more than 2 times in a given turn. Since the feature activates after you are hit, in most situations the features will actually concretize as "+4 against the next attack by the same creature during that turn". Which is good, but a bit lacking. IMO a single level in Forge Cleric (if UA allowed) or Sorcerer/Wizard if you can afford it, to get Shield, would be much better. Even a single level in any Cleric to get Shield of Faith (when you want to favor defense, +2 is not quite bad) or Sanctuary (kinda panic button to help you run away to safety) would provide more in the long run imo.
With that said, this is biaised by my own taste and experiences. If you are already encountering and fighting Multiattack enemies on a regular basis, but have rarely been affected by frightened effects (or you have some way to end it quick) then Multiattack is a very good choice.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 03:38 PM
Unless you find yourself very often threatened by multiples OA (which is imo a strong indication that there is something you are not doing right, but that's another story)

Actually that's exactly the idea. Get many OAs triggered but deny them with Mobile, and maybe Escape the Horde.

Let me elaborate on what I'm envisioning. This started out as a thought exercise on how I could build Great Weapon wielding Revised Ranger, so that's core to the concept. I'll be taking Defense Fighting style (I know there is a good argument for archery even on a melee focused ranger, but I'd rather have something that is always on regardless of what weapon I'm using), wearing Medium Armor and having 14 Dex.

Combats will likely start out at range using Hunter's Mark and firing my Longbow, but his specialty will be getting to a group of enemies that is bunched together to trigger horde breaker and get as many Greatsword attacks as possible, then with the help of Mobile and Longstrider getting out of range of the enemy. This will become easier at level 8 when I can Dash as a bonus action.

I know it's certainly not the optimal way to play a Ranger, but I think I'll have fun.

In regards to multiclassing, I'll want 4th level spell slots for Conjure Woodland Beings, but I don't see much in the 5th level options that would help with this idea (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm open to options. Going 2 levels into Fighter would get me Action Surge, which would help with getting away form enemies, plus just being all around useful. 2-3 into Barbarian would get me some survivability. I'm thinking I could activate Rage when Hunters Mark loses concentration. I could even Reckless Attack while in Melee range, knowing that the enemies won't get OAs due to Mobile, but this would leave me vulnerable to other enemies, particularly ones with ranged attacks.

MaxWilson
2017-06-07, 04:16 PM

If you already have Mobile, the only benefits I can think of to Escape the Horde are that:

(1) It's useful if you're escaping a genuine horde, like a dozen stirges: Mobile won't help with that. E.g. first you escape that horde and then you shoot a volley back the way you came to kill all the stirges (except for one or two which are now embedded in your flesh).

(2) You can deliberately trigger opportunity attacks (at disadvantage) as a way of using up enemy reactions. E.g. if you are leading a pack of sixteen wolves on a Dash through a formation of four hill giants, Escape the Horde will help to ensure that you and all of your wolves make it through the formation, whereas Mobile would just keep you, personally, safe, while up to four wolves might perhaps get squished.

#2 is pretty niche, but #1 could be common in some times of campaigns.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-07, 04:34 PM
If you already have Mobile, the only benefits I can think of to Escape the Horde are that:

(1) It's useful if you're escaping a genuine horde, like a dozen stirges: Mobile won't help with that. E.g. first you escape that horde and then you shoot a volley back the way you came to kill all the stirges (except for one or two which are now embedded in your flesh).

(2) You can deliberately trigger opportunity attacks (at disadvantage) as a way of using up enemy reactions. E.g. if you are leading a pack of sixteen wolves on a Dash through a formation of four hill giants, Escape the Horde will help to ensure that you and all of your wolves make it through the formation, whereas Mobile would just keep you, personally, safe, while up to four wolves might perhaps get squished.

#2 is pretty niche, but #1 could be common in some times of campaigns.

#1 was why I was considering it. #2 is not something that would have occurred to me on my own. Thanks.