PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Planar Shepherd: Best planes for a Faerunian World Tree cosmology?

Endarire
2017-06-07, 05:46 PM
EDIT 2: Assume no [Evil] planes, meaning no Hell, etc.

EDIT: Fixed World Tree Cosmology link!

Greetings, all!

I was invited to play in an online 3.5 game set in Faerun using Faerunian World Tree cosmology (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/World_Tree_cosmology). This character would likely be a cohort of this Circle Magic Wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526684-Circle-Magic-for-Wizards-and-Druids-What-are-most-optimal-spells-uses), and, thus, start at ECL10 (normally) or 11 (if her master takes the feat Improved Cohort). (Link to Circle Magic Post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?526684-Circle-Magic-for-Wizards-and-Druids-What-are-most-optimal-spells-uses&p=22073443))

What planes are mechanically best for this character? I aimed for a Planar Shepherd of Lamannia in the original build due to Lamannia being versatile and powerful without having 10:1 turns and free wishes from genies.

Palanan
2017-06-07, 08:35 PM
I can't recommend any planes, but your link to the world tree cosmology seems to be out of whack.

danielxcutter
2017-06-07, 08:45 PM
I hear the Astral Plane is also great for this purpose.

Zephonim
2017-06-08, 08:22 AM
Baator/THe NIne Hells

Then you can turn into Zargon at 18hd

Inevitability
2017-06-08, 09:03 AM
Baator/THe NIne Hells

Then you can turn into Zargon at 20hd

Does he still count as a resident of that plane, though?

Zephonim
2017-06-08, 09:21 AM
Does he still count as a resident of that plane, though?

Well he's surely not a native outsider to faerun. He was thrown from Baator to faerun by Asmodeus where a city was built atop him.

The great part is all you need is a amulet of wildshaping and skin of kaletor and you can wildshape into zargon at level 10

Also Baator is great for all the various arch-duke forms you can take

CIDE
2017-06-08, 11:58 AM
How does picking Baator give you all of these forms? I thought you couldn't become specific or unique beings?

Zephonim
2017-06-08, 12:34 PM
How does picking Baator give you all of these forms? I thought you couldn't become specific or unique beings?

When you attain 9th level, you become able to use wildshape to change into an elemental or outsider native to yourchosen plane, although it costs two of your daily uses of wild shape to do so. For example, if you chose the plane of Mabar, you could become a barghest. In addition to the normal effects of wild shape, you gain all the elemental or outsider's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities.

Says nothing of the sort.

Endarire
2017-06-11, 04:50 PM
Let's assume no [Evil] planes. (GM hates Teh Evulz.)

What then?

Wraith
2017-06-11, 10:18 PM
Bullet06320 has posted his Guide to the Planar Shepherd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444070-The-Planar-Shepherd-Handbook) on this very forum, and it alone has made be covet playing such a class at some point. Their breakdown should help you get some idea as to what would be suitable for your game?

Personally I like the sound of (the Faerunian equivalent to) Dal Quor (Realm of Dreams) because the Quori are weird and seldom seen, which makes wildshaping into them a novelty, and also the realm has directional gravity so you can fly. Beyond that, it kinda depends on what your party role is - for DPS you could go with Fernia (Fire) or Risia (Ice), if pseudo-healer it could be Irian (Positive Energy).... But Lammania is probably the best if you just want to really nail down the 'Druid' aspect of your character.

Endarire
2017-06-12, 12:34 AM
@Wraith: Thankee, but I wanted advice specifically for Faerun's cosmology. I also posted in that thread saying I ported that handbook to ENWorld.

Wraith
2017-06-12, 01:35 AM
Ah, apologies, I guess I wasn't being clear - I meant use the guide to pick a suitable Realm and then find a Faerunian equivalent. Lammania and Arvandor, for example, are essentially alike for most purposes, whereas the Blood Rift becomes the Battlegrounds, and so on.

Don't get held up by labels and names, is what I was trying to get at. :smallsmile: