PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Force Damage Builds

Capt_Flintlock
2017-06-07, 06:20 PM
Hey all!

So I want to make a character who is built around force damage. I spoke with my DM, and he said that I can use any race, class, subclass, or feat from UA (including Lore Mastery(!)).

My character will be level 9, and under his very generous and non-standard stat generating process I have the following numbers to allocate: 16, 16, 14, 13, 12, and 11. Our current party is lacking a smart guy and can't pass a history check or arcana check to save their life, and have gone through 9 levels of play without the ability to identify magic items. So we definitely need a wizard of some sort. What I would like some help on is, how can I build a character around the Lore Mastery wizard that is mostly focused on dealing force damage while also being able to provide some utility out of combat.

I've played around with a few builds, but I'm running into writers block. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Rock Gnome Alchemist Artificer 1, Lore Mastery Wizard 8
I get medium armor prof, some utility draughts, and 8 levels of wizard shenanigans

High Elf Wu Jen Mystic 1, Lore Mastery Wizard 8
Force Mastery, Wood and Metal Mastery, and Nomad Step + wizard shenanigans

Eladrin Immortal Mystic 3, Lore Mastery Wizard 6
Iron Durability, Adaptive Body, Force Mastery, Nomad Step + Wizard Shenanigans

I'm unsure of how to proceed since there arent any guides I could find for the Mystic and the Artificer. I really like the character concept of a wizard slinging thunderwaves, shatters, fireballs, and burning hands as force damage, and then doing telekenesis stuff to help ease the pain of burning through so many spell slots. I'm thinking if I go further than a 1 level dip into mystic, it would have to be 3 or 4 levels so I could get some PSI points worth doing a little damage. I also noticed that An Eladrin with Dragon Marks tattoo and Nomad Step can do a **** ton of teleporting, so that's something fun. I also like the idea of artificer, but Mystic just offers so much more utility and damage compared to artificer.

Eitherway, help me pimp my Lore Mastery Wizard to be a master of the force!

RSP
2017-06-07, 06:30 PM
I'd probably just go Lore Wizard. Not sure you're gaining much of anything multiclassing away from that class/delaying its progression.

JeffreyGator
2017-06-07, 10:46 PM
Force damage seems eldritch blaster to me.

Three levels of tome-lock and you are blasting and have the rituals.

Int skills are really the domain of the Knowledge Cleric or a Lore Bard perhaps more than a wizard.

Findulidas
2017-06-08, 04:30 AM
I'd probably just go Lore Wizard. Not sure you're gaining much of anything multiclassing away from that class/delaying its progression.

Yeah, if they allow you to go lore wizard then you have your force damage already set for you.

Capt_Flintlock
2017-06-08, 09:11 AM

Definitely a good point. But what I am concerned about is the amount of spell slots burned by Alchemical casting and the like. Adding 1 level of artificer provides medium armor, 3 skills, and some basic heals. I won't be getting 5th level spell slot at level 9 true, but I would'nt have to worry about burning a 1st level spell slot on mage armor and instead use that slot to add 2d10 force damage to my fireball (forceball) damage roll.

Adding Mystic would provide some teleports, armor alternatives to mage armor, and provide non-spell slot attacks and abilities that would allow me to be more aggressive with spell slots.

Desteplo
2017-06-08, 09:23 AM
you are building a wizard. Nothing adds to force damage (unlike sorcerer to an element and warlock to eldritch blast)

-there's no way to get it wrong. Full wizard is strong. Cleric gets heavy armor and shield if you are worried about that being a problem
-1lvl dip is popular for a reason
-similar with a lvl in fighter for con save
3 lvl sorcerer for more meta magic

-slowing progression from lore abilities is too much a cost because they're so powerful
-you don't NEED armor
-Mage armor and a short rest resets your half your slots anyway
-just ask to rest after you've exhausted all your fun slots