PDA

View Full Version : What If? How would things be different if in the world is a 5th edition D&D world?

CrackedChair
2017-06-07, 07:05 PM
I'd imagine the world and it's people being radically different people, mechanically and personality-wise if it was...

Ron Miel
2017-06-07, 08:11 PM
There's a story in Snips Snails and Dragon Tales where the gang meet their counterparts from the 5th edition.

Peelee
2017-06-07, 08:26 PM
There's a story in Snips Snails and Dragon Tales where the gang meet their counterparts from the 5th edition.

4th ed, not 5th.

AstralFire
2017-06-07, 09:57 PM
Not that much different, I imagine -- 5e, like 3e, was designed on the idea of a 2e that had simpler basic rules without so many drawbacks to magic among other things. 3e fails in this purpose a lot of times, resulting in a lot of rules jokes, and a lot of its unique strengths come from unintended consequences of rule interactions that OotS typically shies away from. So, OotS now but with less rules jokes.

Garanvir
2017-06-07, 10:11 PM
I wonder if Eugene would find it more acceptable or even worse if Roy was an Eldritch Knight?

(Of course, Roy probably would stay deliberately away from Eldritch Knight anyway...)

Miriel
2017-06-07, 11:05 PM
A significant change I can see is that Elan would be a full caster.

Ron Miel
2017-06-08, 12:37 AM
4th ed, not 5th.

I stand corrected.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-06-08, 10:10 AM
4th ed, not 5th.

Second Fourth verse, same as the First Third.

IOW, same old same old.

Capt Spanner
2017-06-08, 10:48 AM
It occurs to me that the level cap may make it hard to present Xykon as such a massive threat. There isn't really much epic magic codified into the rules, so I'm not sure how to make Xykon so terrifyingly powerful.

Jasdoif
2017-06-08, 10:58 AM
Second Fourth verse, same as the First Third....you're Henry Rogar VIII X?

Doug Lampert
2017-06-08, 12:05 PM
It occurs to me that the level cap may make it hard to present Xykon as such a massive threat. There isn't really much epic magic codified into the rules, so I'm not sure how to make Xykon so terrifyingly powerful.

Third is the only edition that ever pretended to make NPCs and foes by the same rules as PCs. There is no level cap that is in any way relevant to Xykon in fifth edition, because he's not a PC.

KorvinStarmast
2017-06-08, 03:13 PM
Third is the only edition that ever pretended to make NPCs and foes by the same rules as PCs. Suggest you look into the AD&D 1e DMG, my friend. :smallbiggrin:

Rogar Demonblud
2017-06-08, 03:34 PM
...you're Henry Rogar VIII X?

*slips Jasdoif a Well Done card*

Morty
2017-06-11, 10:19 AM
Not a whole lot. In the general sense, 5e is D&D through and through, with elements you don't find anywhere else. And the comic doesn't use rules-specific jokes much nowadays. If rules are acknowledged, it's mostly to get them out of the way of the story.

dps
2017-06-11, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I don't see why it would be much different. Mechanically, The Giant has always had the story trump the rules, so while a few things might have been presented different, their affect would be essentially the same. And I can't see why it would have any impact whatsoever on any character's personality.

Random Sanity
2017-06-11, 01:34 PM
Third is the only edition that ever pretended to make NPCs and foes by the same rules as PCs. There is no level cap that is in any way relevant to Xykon in fifth edition, because he's not a PC.

Even if Xykon were statted out as a PC, level 20 is not as big a barrier as you may think. The 5th edition DMG also includes options for progression beyond 20th with epic boons, some of which can get pretty fearsome. It's just harder to numerically quantify how scary an adversary is past the big two-oh.

2D8HP
2017-06-11, 03:02 PM
The main difference that I see is that Elan couldn't take Dashing Swordsman as a "Prestige Class".

Maybe study Rogue under Haley, and then go Swashbuckler?

Morquard
2017-06-11, 03:43 PM
The main difference that I see is that Elan couldn't take Dashing Swordsman as a "Prestige Class".

Maybe study Rogue under Haley, and then go Swashbuckler?

Wouldn't it just be assumed he'd been studying under her the whole time?

2D8HP
2017-06-11, 11:33 PM

Yep, and we'd have two levels of Elan going "Sneak Attack", before he'd use "Fancy Footwork", or "Rakish Audacity", but I can't think of an "Archetype" closer to the "Dashing Swordsman" Prestige Class.

Maybe something from one of the "Unearthed Arcana's"?

Darth Paul
2017-06-12, 12:27 AM

[Insert obligatory "Is that what they're calling it these days" joke.]