PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Paladin subclass, Oath of Dusk [PEACH]

AngryJesusMan
2017-06-07, 07:16 PM
I had previously posted a Fighter subclass that tapped into the Shadowfell and sacrificed hit points in order to get things done. Someone suggested that the connection to the Shadowfell made the class seem more like a Paladin subclass. That got me thinking about creating something that fit that bill. This is what I made. Please let me know how I did.

Paladin: Sacred Oath – Oath of Dusk

The paladins of the Oath of Dusk follow the direction of gods that encourage their followers to employ a hefty amount of lying, cheating, and stealing in order to achieve their goals. Far from the fabled and untrustworthy paladins of the “Oath of Trickery”, these champions are not directed to betray everyone at every turn. Instead, they are instructed to be subtle and to calculate their moves, using any of the unsavory tactics that people have come to expect from those that lurk in the underbelly of society. More often than not, evil paladins that follow this Oath will hide their intentions and affiliations rather well. This means that even if you know that you are dealing with a paladin of this Oath, which won’t be often, their tactics can make it difficult to determine whether they are evil or if they simply take a neutral attitude in terms of the law. Evil or otherwise, all members of this Oath are equally dedicated to their cause, so the fact that one might not see or suspect them means that they can be terribly efficient when it comes to getting something done.

Tenets

The light defines the dark. Righteous attitudes breed those that seek to escape that righteousness. The fight is never-ending.

Infiltrating the enemy’s ranks is sometimes the only way to achieve your goals. If I must use unsavory means to achieve my end, then that is my burden to bear.

Deception and confrontation are equally useful tools. Hiding the truth can achieve many things that violence cannot, but my enemies cannot drive me away when I choose to face them.

My sacrifice strengthens me. My duties cost me much, but what I lose is used to make me a more formidable foe.

Oath of Dusk Bonus Spells
3rd level Disguise Self, Illusory Script
5th level Nystul’s Magical Aura, Detect Thoughts
9th level Clairvoyance, Nondetection
13th level Arcane Eye, Greater Invisibility
17th level Scrying, Seeming

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Neither Eye nor Ear. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity to become invisible and silent for 10 minutes. This requires concentration, as if concentrating on a spell. For the duration, you cannot be seen and you make no sound. This extends to anything you are wearing or carrying as long as it is on your person. This effect ends if you make an attack or cast a spell that does not target you. You cannot cast spells that require somatic components while under the effects of this feature.

Vow of Sacrifice. As a bonus action, you can utter a vow of sacrifice, pledging to give of yourself in order to fell your foes. For 1 minute, when you use your Divine Smite, you take 4 necrotic damage for every d8 that the Divine Smite uses. This damage cannot be reduced and ignores temporary hit points. Also during this time, your Divine Smite deals an additional 8 necrotic damage for every d8 that it uses and all of the damage dealt by your Divine Smite becomes necrotic.

Deceiver’s Training. Once you reach 7th level, you have indoctrinated yourself in the means by which to avoid direct confrontation. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: deception, sleight of hand, or stealth. You also gain proficiency in one of the following: thieves’ tools, disguise kit, or forgery kit. Wearing medium armor doesn't impose disadvantage on your Dexterity (Stealth) checks.

Implacable. Beginning at 15th level, you are able to prevent others from driving you away. You are immune to the frightened condition. Additionally, you can reduce any forced movement that would affect you by 10 feet.

Agent of Twilight. At 20th level, you undergo a subtle change that enhances your abilities for a time. For 1 hour, you gain the following benefits:

You gain advantage on deception, stealth, and sleight of hand skill checks.
You gain advantage on checks with thieves’ tools, forgery kits, and disguise kits.
When you have no more than half your hit points, your attacks deal an additional 5 necrotic damage.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.