PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Rise of the runelords

Zangief1983
2017-06-07, 10:30 PM
Was considering taking Big Game Hunters as a feat as my BaB is struggling and the +1 to hit and +2 to damage is nice on my multiple attacks in wildshape form (I am a druid). Is this a good feat to take at level 5? My main question is so far we have only encountered a few large creatures but will there be more in the second chapter and onward to warrent taking this feat?

Calthropstu
2017-06-07, 10:49 PM
Errrr...

If you want spoilers you could read the adventure path. Most people will tell you it's a sub optimal feat regardless.

Psyren
2017-06-07, 10:52 PM
Your level 5 feat should be Natural Spell.

Calthropstu
2017-06-07, 11:18 PM
Your level 5 feat should be Natural Spell.

I would say otherwise. There are a lot of different builds for wildshape druids, and even if it could be "optimal," not everyone wants to play cookie cutter copy+paste builds that many seem to favor on this forum.

It sounds like he has a problem hitting with his char. I'd advise a more close combat approach.

Op, teach your companion the flank trick. Also, obtain some items to help enhance your natural attacks. An amulet of mighty fists I think will help, unless there's something specifically for natural attacks.
In addition, I would recommend the feat "death from above" if you can regularly fly. That +5 is huge.
If you are really worried about large creatures, try the "death or glory" feat in a few levels.

Psyren
2017-06-07, 11:38 PM
My recommendation stands, he can take it or leave it.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 12:32 AM
My recommendation stands, he can take it or leave it.

Thx I have it already I'm retraining a feat

Florian
2017-06-08, 01:09 AM
Was considering taking Big Game Hunters as a feat as my BaB is struggling and the +1 to hit and +2 to damage is nice on my multiple attacks in wildshape form (I am a druid). Is this a good feat to take at level 5? My main question is so far we have only encountered a few large creatures but will there be more in the second chapter and onward to warrent taking this feat?

First, check with your gm, as it is an old 3,5E feat that somehow still shows up on the SRD.
As wth every AP, large creatures show up from time to time. Itīs still a situational feat, tho, so nothing Iīd really recommend as you donīt have control over when you have the boni or not.

Rynjin
2017-06-08, 01:14 AM
It's a pretty underwhelming Feat, honestly.

What exactly kind of Druid are you trying to be? If you're a Wildshape using melee combatant, primarily, I'd remind you that you CAN buff with spells like Magic Weapon and Barkskin; You don't generally need to use your Feats for things like that.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 05:30 AM
It's a pretty underwhelming Feat, honestly.

What exactly kind of Druid are you trying to be? If you're a Wildshape using melee combatant, primarily, I'd remind you that you CAN buff with spells like Magic Weapon and Barkskin; You don't generally need to use your Feats for things like that.

Octopus form druid. I have multi attack feat. Recommend any others to increase my to hit rating?

Calthropstu
2017-06-08, 06:24 AM
I mentioned 2, though I don't think you will be charging as an octopus.
Gonna have to say spells may be way to go. Cast a few to hit buffs.
Weapon focus/spec should have already been taken.
Add an amulet of mighty fists for a bit of extra. Multiattack should also be in your stack.
With 9 attacks, a couple buffs, the amulet and some str enhancing gear, you should be pulling a decent number of hits. Might want to work towards adding elemental damage to your attacks or other damage piles.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 08:53 AM
I mentioned 2, though I don't think you will be charging as an octopus.
Gonna have to say spells may be way to go. Cast a few to hit buffs.
Weapon focus/spec should have already been taken.
Add an amulet of mighty fists for a bit of extra. Multiattack should also be in your stack.
With 9 attacks, a couple buffs, the amulet and some str enhancing gear, you should be pulling a decent number of hits. Might want to work towards adding elemental damage to your attacks or other damage piles.

Thank you very much!

Rynjin
2017-06-08, 02:13 PM
If some variant of octopus is going to be you go-to, I might suggest the Grapple line. Octopi have Grab, so being able to capitalize on that free action Grapple could let you end fights WITHOUT damage once you get Rapid Grapple. Full attack one round, you get EIGHT Grapple checks, all at a +8 from whatever else you have (+4 from Grab, +4 from Improved/Greater Grapple), so chances of failure are pretty low. Maintain as a Move action (you get a further +5 to maintain a Grapple), Pin as a Swift, and Tie Up as a Standard. Coup de Grace at your leisure.

Even better if you can get a form with Constrict so you deal damage every time you grapple. You could do the whole (cheesy to some GMs, so expect table variation) Tentacle-Grab-Constrict-Release-Repeat routine to pile on the damage as well.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 02:53 PM
If some variant of octopus is going to be you go-to, I might suggest the Grapple line. Octopi have Grab, so being able to capitalize on that free action Grapple could let you end fights WITHOUT damage once you get Rapid Grapple. Full attack one round, you get EIGHT Grapple checks, all at a +8 from whatever else you have (+4 from Grab, +4 from Improved/Greater Grapple), so chances of failure are pretty low. Maintain as a Move action (you get a further +5 to maintain a Grapple), Pin as a Swift, and Tie Up as a Standard. Coup de Grace at your leisure.

Even better if you can get a form with Constrict so you deal damage every time you grapple. You could do the whole (cheesy to some GMs, so expect table variation) Tentacle-Grab-Constrict-Release-Repeat routine to pile on the damage as well.

GM has ruled constrict release cannot be done more than once hehe

Rynjin
2017-06-08, 02:56 PM
That's good in its own way (enemies can't hit YOU with it). *shrug*

Still, with the aforementioned tactic you get all 8 tentacles and 4 procs of Constrict (once when you first Grapple, three more for Maintaining and then moving up the condition track twice) so it's still not bad.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 03:21 PM
That's good in its own way (enemies can't hit YOU with it). *shrug*

Still, with the aforementioned tactic you get all 8 tentacles and 4 procs of Constrict (once when you first Grapple, three more for Maintaining and then moving up the condition track twice) so it's still not bad.

That is pretty awesome, perhaps it would be better for a snake that has only one attack for the 1.5 STR mod.

Rynjin
2017-06-08, 03:50 PM
Problem with snek is that you only get one shot to attack, instead of 8 layered attempts.

Zangief1983
2017-06-08, 04:56 PM
Problem with snek is that you only get one shot to attack, instead of 8 layered attempts.

Your right