PDA

View Full Version : Video Game with Split Scree Melee and Ranged Combat

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-08, 01:30 AM
Basically my friend and I want to play Dragon Age or Skyrim on our xbox together but obviously that doesn't exist. (I know about Elder Scrolls Online but it's got a lot of issues and we don't have PCs anyway.)
The problem is that I like to play melee fighters and she likes to play ranged fighters. What video game would you suggest for this?

Vaz
2017-06-08, 05:43 AM
ESO is Xbox 1, you don't need PC for it, if that is your issue.

My main complaints about ESO is that it is generic fantasy MMO, with Elder Scrolls flavouring, like a packet of dollar noodles, but what was expected was full on ES Ramen.

It is still enjoyable nonetheless.

KillingAScarab
2017-06-08, 07:53 AM
Basically my friend and I want to play Dragon Age or Skyrim on our xbox together but obviously that doesn't exist.The first question, in my mind, is which XBox are you referring to. The original XBox, the XBox 360 or the XBox One? The second question, then, is what portion of Dragon Age or Skyrim are you hoping to experience together? Exploring a large open world together, sharing in a fantasy setting, or some good co-op combat? You'll get different recommendations for each.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-08, 10:43 AM
The first question, in my mind, is which XBox are you referring to. The original XBox, the XBox 360 or the XBox One? The second question, then, is what portion of Dragon Age or Skyrim are you hoping to experience together? Exploring a large open world together, sharing in a fantasy setting, or some good co-op combat? You'll get different recommendations for each.

I have the 360 and the one. Kind of all those reasons but I guess the fantasy setting matters least. We just want to be able to play RPGs together. (But we live together so it has to be split screen.)
We really liked playing war in the north together even though it wasn't very high quality but it had this weird problem where it would only save the primary characters progress so she kept gaining levels and every time we started playing I was reset to level 1...

Erloas
2017-06-08, 11:15 AM
Well Diablo 3 has split screen and ranged and melee combat classes.

Driderman
2017-06-08, 04:39 PM
We really liked playing war in the north together even though it wasn't very high quality but it had this weird problem where it would only save the primary characters progress so she kept gaining levels and every time we started playing I was reset to level 1...

There's a workaround for that. I forget what, exactly, but I remember solving that issue myself. Probably something with each player having an xbox live account logged in.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of these games around anymore. I'd check the webpage co-optimus for a pretty comprehensive overview of co-op games, and their specific features.

Rynjin
2017-06-08, 05:51 PM
Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric RPG that is available for the Xbox One and is co-op compatible. I'm not sure if you can do split-screen though.

Edit: According to this site (http://www.co-optimus.com/game/3882/xbox-one/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition.html), it is.

That's the closest you'll get to playing DA:O co-op.

Dienekes
2017-06-08, 06:37 PM
For Honor was supposed to be this. But then Ubisoft spat on all of their earlier promises.

Hope you find a good one, because I want to know too.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-08, 06:40 PM
Thanks I'll try divinity and diablo!

kraftcheese
2017-06-08, 07:30 PM
It's more a survival/building game with rpg elements but Minecraft is loads of fun, and splitscreen on the Xbox One. I always enjoy playing it with my little siblings despite its reputation as a kids game; and you can be a ranged or melee fighter as long as you have the resources!

Anteros
2017-06-09, 01:23 AM
Divinity: Original Sin is an isometric RPG that is available for the Xbox One and is co-op compatible. I'm not sure if you can do split-screen though.

Edit: According to this site (http://www.co-optimus.com/game/3882/xbox-one/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition.html), it is.

That's the closest you'll get to playing DA:O co-op.

I did divinity split screen with a friend, and it's an extremely frustrating experience during combat. I do not recommend it honestly.

Mikemical
2017-06-13, 07:49 AM
Resident Evil 5 and 6 have split-screen modes and are good games to play just for fun, even if the story sucks.

KillingAScarab
2017-06-13, 09:16 AM
I have the 360 and the one. Kind of all those reasons but I guess the fantasy setting matters least. We just want to be able to play RPGs together. (But we live together so it has to be split screen.)I'm a fan of action RPGs, but in many of them you can run into Secret of Mana problems, as I call them; each player wants to go in opposite directions, but can't because they share a screen. The Traveler's Tales LEGO brand games introduced mutliplayer which goes from one screen to split-screen on-the-fly. I think it started in LEGO Indiana Jones 2 (http://www.co-optimus.com/game/1377/wii/lego-indiana-jones-2-the-adventure-continues.html). Even before that, Traveler's Tales was doing drop-in drop out co-op, which I consider a necessity ever since the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games (and X-Men: Legends 1 & 2 before those, but backwards compatibility doesn't seem to be available for them). If anyone has a suggestion for an action RPG which incorporates that type of split-screen play, I would love to hear it. But, as to your tastes, it wouldn't be an RPG, but LEGO Lord of the Rings (http://www.co-optimus.com/review/1154/page/1/lego-lord-of-the-rings-co-op-review.html) might be an option.

There's a workaround for that. I forget what, exactly, but I remember solving that issue myself. Probably something with each player having an xbox live account logged in.It does seem very likely that signing in with a "guest account" each time would be the cause of always starting over. I'm not certain how it would be on XBox Live, but perhaps you can make an account even if it doesn't have access to playing online? I know that wouldn't be a problem with PlayStation Network accounts on the PlayStation 3.

Psyren
2017-06-13, 01:12 PM
Hunted: Demon's Forge is as generic as it gets, but one character is a brawny fighter type while the other is an elf archer who likes setting things on fire. (TFC!) (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyFightCrime)

I would check co-optimus for other games you two might enjoy together.

Typewriter
2017-06-13, 01:55 PM
EDIT: Just now realized the OP was talking about local co-op games. I am dumb.

Knaight
2017-06-13, 06:31 PM
Would a game that isn't split screen but that is local multiplayer (where everyone is on the same screen) work for you? It expands the field considerably, although the Xbox is still a major limitation (otherwise I'd recommend Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, which is still a decent option if you've got some money to burn given how cheap the original Gamecube probably is right now).

Anteros
2017-06-13, 06:58 PM
The Tales games are good fun co-op during combat. Especially Zesteria if you have two people since you can each control one powerful unit. It's not co-op out of combat though, and you don't unlock the archer unit for about 5-10 hours into the game. Also the plot is really dumb (if you care about that).

KillingAScarab
2017-06-16, 09:11 PM
Would a game that isn't split screen but that is local multiplayer (where everyone is on the same screen) work for you? It expands the field considerably, although the Xbox is still a major limitation (otherwise I'd recommend Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, which is still a decent option if you've got some money to burn given how cheap the original Gamecube probably is right now).Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles could also be played on a Wii, but the real limitation was that each player in multiplayer games required both a Game Boy Advance and a cable to connect it to a GameCube controller port (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_%E2%80%93_Game_Boy_Advance_link_ cable). The experience Square-Enix came up with was a bit like a pre-cursor to the Wii U Gamepad. Every player would have a randomly assigned map displayed on their own screen which no one else would see. You would need to share what you saw on your screen with your party. All that said, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles may be played in single-player mode with a GameCube controller. LaZodiac is doing a Let's Play (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?524419-Zodi-Plays-Final-Fantasy-Crystal-Chronicles-%28Road-Trip-to-Save-The-World!%29) in that style, currently.

As for dropping the split-screen requirement, the NTSC version of Hunter: The Reckoning (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter:_The_Reckoning_%28video_game%29) is a fun-if-M-rated hack 'n slash, though this list (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360) says load times would be increased. Sadly, I don't see Hunter: the Reckoning: Redeemer on that compatibility list. You could think of them as Gauntlet clones with some of the sensibilities of Left 4 Dead. Without any ability to play online you must all share one screen. Again, this means Secret of Mana problems, but sometimes it is just so satisfying to use the Judge's crossbow to dust a vampire. Each character can act as ranged or melee, though you would need to be more careful in a melee with the Martyr's knives.

Redstick
2017-06-16, 11:17 PM
Does it need to be fantasy-based? The Borderlands series has incredible local co-op. It's more about guns, but some of the characters have skills that tend toward melee (Brick in the first game, and Zer0 and Krieg in the second).