PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for naming things?

stolenchariot
2007-08-03, 04:54 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I'm working on a campaign setting that will eventually be used for my table, and I would apreciate help naming the 12 principle gods/ planes. The gods are all hero-deities of some sort. Their races are as following.

elf god(dess) of darkness and negative energy NE
Ogre God(Dess) of light and Positive energy NG
Human god of war with a middle eastern flavor CN
Centaur goddess of nature in all its forms N
Elven deity of goodness NG
Elven god of evil NE
Human deity of knowlege, magic, and literature LN
Orc deity of death and judgement LN
Dwarven deity of chaos CN
Dwarven deity of law LN
Gnome deity of dreams, illusions, and trickery CG
[tenative race] deity of imprisonment and containment LG

The Planes
There are twelve planes other than the material plane in this setting which can only be acessed physically by the manipulation of that plane's gate, created by the deity that rules the plane. These gates may vary in shape and size, some not actually gates at all, but powerful magic items. The planes are as follows

negative energy plane
Positive energy Plane
Plane of nature [combination of the beastlands and the elemental planes]
Plane of endless war [sort of a combination of acheron and Ysgard from the standard cosmology]
Good aligned plane for the celestials to hail from
A hell for fiends to rise from
A plane of magic and learning [a plane -spanning acadamy and library]
A sort of waiting room for dead souls to be ushered into prior to their sorting into their rightful plane
Plane of chaos, slightly more stable than limbo, but not by much
Plane of Law
Plane of Dreams
Plane of imprisonment, the jail for unnamed monstrosities that threaten all existence at one point or another.

If any information is needed to develop names, such as personality and such, ask. Also, for the record, while these gods are of one race or another, they aren't archtypical 'Racial Deities' and can be revered by anyone regardless of race. If it helps too, the deities of light and dark are fraternal twins. I borrowed an idea from the Tayfolk of Dragonlance for them.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-03, 09:44 PM
Do you want names that directly reflect their nature (War God = Kombattus), or do you want abstract names that only vaguely reflect their nature (War God = Lorgar)?

Smiley_
2007-08-03, 10:20 PM
Heck, you could be completely lazy and just mess around with the names of the themes a bit.

Ev'lelvpursun
ergoydoog
Jeff
skuigli the amorphus.
frutiwus (I don't like elves...Sorry)
ssenkrod fo'fle
Nerdroticus
Suks't'biyu
Smashy
Gnirob
Tricky brainfingers (ick)
derobim

I think you can figure these out.

as for the planes

enalpytsan
ecalpecin
penecillin
ecoli
aeraenif
Cholera
ainmosni
dok'tor Zofise
nibynool
dewercsmi
soverysleepy
Thissucks

stolenchariot
2007-08-03, 10:29 PM
"I'd kind of like abstract names, but I'd like the names to flow with the flavor of the races, at least for the gods. As for the planes, maybe something that sounds poetic, but also gives some indication to the plane's nature.

Icewalker
2007-08-04, 05:59 AM
How're these?

Elf god of darkness: Sask Rend
Ogre god of light: Glith
Eastern war god: Reto asa Gowsd (Ree-toh ah-sah gaw-zud, generally addressed by Gowsd so as to save pronunciation)
Centaur goddess of nature: Reantu (rey-ahn-too)
Good elf god: Godo Teiyd (tey-d)
Evil elf god (brother of Godo): Veil Teiyd
Human god of Knowledge: Kol Gwende (Kohl)
Orc god of judgement: Gen Demujt (hen day-mugh (soft gh) -t)
Dwarf god of chaos: Sycho Deita (Scy (as in scythe) -cho day-tah)
Dwarf god of law: Deylwati (Day-el-waht-ee)
Gnome god of Illusions: Lunilsio
Unknown god of Imprisonment: Nosrim Tempin

I couldn't really see light and dark as twins, being ogre and elf, so how about the Good and Evil elf gods instead? Godo and Veil Teiyd.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-04, 07:00 AM
The Gods
Ylozhiar
* elf god(dess) of darkness and negative energy NE

Narjos
* Ogre God(Dess) of light and Positive energy NG

Ul Susa Alakhand
* Human god of war with a middle eastern flavor CN

Kelboro
* Centaur goddess of nature in all its forms N

Jenembas
* Elven deity of goodness NG

Henetheshi
* Elven god of evil NE

Zun Araluxus
* Human deity of knowlege, magic, and literature LN

Rukhari
* Orc deity of death and judgement LN

O Gulnir
* Dwarven deity of chaos CN

Heindar
* Dwarven deity of law LN

Vexilipus
* Gnome deity of dreams, illusions, and trickery CG

Malthab
* [tenative race] deity of imprisonment and containment LG

The Planes
Ishiss
* negative energy plane

Elbelez
* Positive energy Plane

Cheionisto
* Plane of nature [combination of the beastlands and the elemental planes]

Sarkul
* Plane of endless war [sort of a combination of acheron and Ysgard from the standard cosmology]

Quevelias
* Good aligned plane for the celestials to hail from

Shalodyar
* A hell for fiends to rise from

Dirazarid
* A plane of magic and learning [a plane -spanning acadamy and library]

Az Warajin
* A sort of waiting room for dead souls to be ushered into prior to their sorting into their rightful plane

Besh a Henem
* Plane of chaos, slightly more stable than limbo, but not by much

Orgon
* Plane of Law

Quelos
* Plane of Dreams

Dyaskarsi
* Plane of imprisonment, the jail for unnamed monstrosities that threaten all existence at one point or another.

Fuum Bango
2007-08-04, 07:02 AM
Hmm, I'm game, tell me what you think.

Elf god of darkness : Nikut Zinoh, Lady Slenderhands
Ogre God of light : Onana, the Big Bold Grandmother
Human god of war : Captain Hissan, Elegant Blademaster
Centaur goddess of nature : Su, the Wild and Free
Elven deity of goodness : Bellayanti Sulsin, The Hope
Elven god of evil : Pansintar Sulsin, The Fear
Human deity of knowlege : Upson of the Wand, the Scholar of Eternity
Orc deity of death : Bo Nar Ris Loh, the Blood Red Hand of White Mortality
Dwarven deity of chaos : Aven Trapdodger, the One of Greed and Misfortune
Dwarven deity of law : Bowen Goldvein, the One of Work and Wealth
Gnome deity of dreams : Talliman, the Dark Thoughts Behind Mortal Eyes.
deity of imprisonment and containment : Montanari, the Silent Cage

Edit: I forgot about the planes!

Negative energy plane : Nefore
Positive energy Plane : Raidenel
Plane of nature : Hath
Plane of endless war : Majhed
Good aligned plane : Quiendeva
A hell for fiends : Phiendeva
A plane of magic and learning : Maevastar
A sort of waiting room for dead souls : Centrali
Plane of chaos : Ririlisitulano
Plane of Law : Zenez
Plane of Dreams : Talli-Talli
Plane of imprisonment : Karcore

stolenchariot
2007-08-04, 07:43 PM
How're these?

I couldn't really see light and dark as twins, being ogre and elf, so how about the Good and Evil elf gods instead? Godo and Veil Teiyd.

well the thing is I said they were elf and orge respectively to simplify the explanation of what they were. I wasn't sure how many people were familiar with the Tayfolk from the Bestiary of Krynn.

also, thank you to everyone who contributed. I'll probably mix and match.

OOTS_Rules.
2007-08-04, 08:43 PM
Elf god of darkness : Nerezza
Ogre God of light : Luce
Human god of war : Guerra
Centaur goddess of nature : Natura
Elven deity of goodness : Qualità
Elven god of evil : Malvagità
Human deity of knowlege : Conoscenza
Orc deity of death : Morte
Dwarven deity of chaos : Caos
Dwarven deity of law : Legge
Gnome deity of dreams : Sogni
deity of imprisonment and containment : Imprigionamento

Negative energy plane : Oscuridad
Positive energy Plane : Luz
Plane of nature : Naturaleza
Plane of endless war : Guerra
Good aligned plane : Santo
A hell for fiends : Mal
A plane of magic and learning : Conocimiento
A sort of waiting room for dead souls : Muerte
Plane of chaos : Caos
Plane of Law : Ley
Plane of Dreams : Sueños
Plane of imprisonment : Encarcelamiento

stolenchariot
2007-08-06, 01:19 AM
well, as this is a thread for naming, does anyone have an idea for a world name?

Skaroq
2007-08-06, 01:28 AM
Gairoth(GAY-uh-roth).

Paragon Badger
2007-08-06, 03:22 AM
well, as this is a thread for naming, does anyone have an idea for a world name?

I prefer to distinctly have my names sound famaliar to something the players have heard already... Even D&D does this, I mean... Mephistopheles from the Faerun underworld? >_>

I'm thinking of naming my world 'Aeuroth', which, if you say really fast, might end up as sounding like Earth.

Gaia was the greek word for earth, and is fairly common today. Something ending in 'aia' might instantly make someone think, 'Hey, that's the planet's name!' even if it was out of context.

Terra is a root word for earth, so something like Teraia, Terraia, Taia, or something like that... Teraius? Teraiuth?

Though, first of all, I'd suggest having all the names sound somewhat related. Look at earth. Arctic, Pacific, and Atlantic are all Latin words, and you can find a smattering of latin in the romance languages, as well as in animals' scientific names.

So, what's the dominant culture in your world? Did the elves become the first race aware of philosophy and analyzation of the world? It would make sense then, if continents were given elvish names. Heck, if the world was given an elvish name.

Oh, and for a long time, I was toying with the idea of making a world with the same kind of planes and such. I did my research, and decided to use fairly obscure ACTUAL names for the levels of Hell. And, in one case, the names of Hell in the Qlippothic Tree, which is a fairly obscure aspect of Judaism... Although I'm not exactly sure about how obscure it is, since I can't like, ask my jewish friends, "Hey! You want to talk about your religion's underworld!?"

Here are the exact names: http://overman666.tripod.com/4.html

But, since I made a deciscion that one of the main themes of my setting would be blurring the lines between good and evil, doing away with the stereotypes of 'Celestial Avenger' and 'Dark Pit Fiend', in favor of more realistic things like, 'A paladin who defends his country, killing a few dozen lawful good enemies...who were actually just enlisted. Heck, maybe even killing other Paladins!', I scrapped the whole idea of using actual names for my hell. Heck, I scrapped 'Hell and Heaven' altogether.

Plus, it was just too hard to try and juggle all the different cultures together and have one definative 'final resting place.' It would be kind of odd to have an arab demon (Ahriman), hanging out with a nine-tailed fox, in a judeo christian circle of hell. <_<

(The Paragon Badger completes yet another long-winded post! I really don't mean for them to be this long. :smallconfused: )

stolenchariot
2007-08-17, 05:40 PM
see the thing about my world's long term history is that there are no ever-looming creator gods. The world just was, as were the humanoids, many of the monstrous humaniouds, and giants. Millenia later, the aforementioned eleven beings managed to tap into the weave of magic, thus creating the planes and pulling magic into the world. Dragons were spawned by the tearing of the gates and went forth to multiply and evolve into different species. Each god created their own beings. Abberations are spawned from dreams, elementals and fey originate from the nature goddess, and undead were spawned by a horrid abomination that escaped from the rivers of death, later contained my the god or imprisonment who turned himself into its living cage. I think now I'll begin posting what I have so far.

Tar Palantir
2007-08-17, 07:59 PM
I don't have the attention span for a full list, but for the god of imprisonment, how about Drukor Alenak, the Gatekeeper?