PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Bladelock Smiting and stuff

Foff
2017-06-08, 03:58 AM
So, I just started a new campaign and since I've always been fascinated with the dark brooding feel of the Goolock I went the extra mile and made up a Changeling Goo bladelock. We're using UA and optional traits so I naturally picked up Claw of Acamar because it was amazing and objectively unbalanced.
That said I went the extra mile and tailored my stats to benefit a hybrid melee bladelock since the weapon HAD to be a flail for the invocation to work: 14 in str dex and con and 16 in cha.
Now that claw of acamar isn't a thing anymore and I'm not restricted to using a flail I was wondering if I could save a little bit of utility from the invocation before giving up on it and change it with my next lvl up.

So, long story short here's the question for you all: If I were to use a spear as my pact weapon, and I were to throw that spear, could I still use the Eldritch Smite on a thrown hit?
And after doing that I could just use an action to make the pact weapon to reappear in my hand.
I know EB is better as a DPR tool but right now the burst capability of smite could still be useful (i'm lvl 6) until EB just outscales everything and I can swap out the smite for somethign else

Jerrykhor
2017-06-08, 04:11 AM
You can only make a melee pact weapon, and spear is a melee weapon, so you can. But I'm not sure why would you want to throw it and waste a turn to resummon it again.

Malifice
2017-06-08, 04:15 AM
You can only make a melee pact weapon.

A spear is a melee weapon.

Clone
2017-06-08, 04:27 AM
The wording of the Eldritch Smite Invocation only says when you hit with your pact weapon, probably to still incorporate the Moonbow effect for when people bond with a magical bow. Since this is the case, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, as the wording supports it.

Were it my game, I'd say totally!

Foff
2017-06-08, 04:29 AM
You can only make a melee pact weapon, and spear is a melee weapon, so you can. But I'm not sure why would you want to throw it and waste a turn to resummon it again.

I'm doing it to use Eldritch Smite from a distance, with 46hp and 14 CA at lvl 6 I'm not exactly durable, plus I'm a goolock, not a fiendlock.
Also, "that guy is running away to warn his friends of our ambush" SMITE HIM FROM AFAR

Corran
2017-06-08, 04:59 AM
Also, "that guy is running away to warn his friends of our ambush" SMITE HIM FROM AFAR
Fatality!
Not incredibly powerful, but it sounds flavourfull and situationally useful.

ps: I guess being allowed to retrain your stats and go with dropping strength and pumping up dex a bit more instead (going with a finese weapon) is off the table?

Foff
2017-06-08, 05:39 AM
Fatality!
Not incredibly powerful, but it sounds flavourfull and situationally useful.

ps: I guess being allowed to retrain your stats and go with dropping strength and pumping up dex a bit more instead (going with a finese weapon) is off the table?

I'd have to do a pretty intense rework of the character, I used my lvl 4 asi to bump up con+1 and str+1 specifically to be able to not be a 0 in melee, but now I'm feeling like a subpar melee and subpar out of combat utility character with 8 wisdom. That said I'll ask my DM for that, but it'd involve going a completely different direction (blade pact useless with a stat rehaul and so going on a quest to contact big GA and switch out my powers).

Thanks for the tip though, it might help not feeling useless outside of being really good at killing stuff.