PDA

View Full Version : Speculation What's the deal between Tempest Domain and Insect Plague?

Lombra
2017-06-08, 07:25 AM
I mean, why would a Tempest Domain spell be Insect Plague? Cone of cold is right there and could fit much better the theme. I guess that the designers tried to envision the Tempest as a "natural disaster" domain, but it just feels wrong, what do you think about it?

Please note that I'm not saying that Insect Plague is a bad spell, just that it feels wrong as a tempest domain one. Insects aren't even related to Storms or Tempests, they hide when one's coming!

lunaticfringe
2017-06-08, 08:01 AM
Lack of a cool stormy 5th level spell when the PBH was printed?

Control Winds (ee)
Maelstrom (ee)
Cone of Cold (pbh)

I'm all for customizing spell list.

NecroDancer
2017-06-08, 08:06 AM
I believe it's a reference to Exodus.

Arkhios
2017-06-08, 08:07 AM
Although, Tempest is also about natural destruction, somewhat. Insect Plague might be a hint towards that aspect of tempest. Imagine a swarm of locusts for example. There goes the crops!

Findulidas
2017-06-08, 09:01 AM

Although, Tempest is also about natural destruction, somewhat. Insect Plague might be a hint towards that aspect of tempest. Imagine a swarm of locusts for example. There goes the crops!

I think its a combination of the two myself.

Also have you seen a locust swarm in action? It really seems like some sort of bad weather phenomenon.

Lombra
2017-06-08, 10:21 AM

Control Winds (ee)
Maelstrom (ee)
Cone of Cold (pbh)

I'm all for customizing spell list.

I thought the same, but Cone of Cold has always been there... I guess that they felt it was too "arcane" to fit on a cleric's domain. And yeah, I would totally customize the spell list to include those in.

I believe it's a reference to Exodus.
The spell most likely is, I want my other calamities now :P

It surely is, I don't really mind the calamity aspect of it, it just feels odd with the concept of "tempest", sadly insect plague will only destroy a 20ft radius sphere of crops, if only it had more out of combat utility.

I think its a combination of the two myself.

Also have you seen a locust swarm in action? It really seems like some sort of bad weather phenomenon.

It most likely is a combination of the two. I've never experienced a locust swarm but I ensure you that the insect plague spell does not resemble a tempest :(

If it only had a secondary effect exactly opposite to that spell that enhances the productivity of the land, can't recall the name.

KorvinStarmast
2017-06-08, 12:19 PM
I'd recommend heading over to the free Elemental Evil player's guide and look at some of the 5th level spells there (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf). Maybe you can work out a substitution with your DM.
5th Level Druid(Divine Caster)
Control winds (transmutation)
Maelstrom (evocation)
Transmute rock (transmutation)

5th Level Sorc (Elemental Caster)
Control winds (transmutation)
Immolation (evocation)

I'd recommend Maelstrom or Control Winds. Thematic.

EddtheSlayer
2017-12-08, 04:55 PM
I thought the same thing. Insect plague is already in the cleric spell list as well so I was thinking it’s a editing error that hasn’t been changed. Cone of cold, conjure elemental or even commune with nature fit the character better. Also why don’t the domain spells continue past level 9 so you can get things like tsunami, chain lightning, meteor swarm, and storm of vengeance. These seem more character appropriate for the tempest domain than some of the healing and guidance spells?

Finney
2017-12-08, 06:06 PM
It is probably more of a balance issue than anything else. I imagine it's the same reason they gave them Call Lightning as a domain spell instead of Lightning Bolt.

Unoriginal
2017-12-08, 09:15 PM
Because of:

https://youtu.be/-tVTEyuCKn4

no?

Arkhios
2017-12-09, 05:34 AM
Because of:

https://youtu.be/-tVTEyuCKn4

no?

Heh, pretty much!

...however, let's not disturb the dead threads, or they'll call Kelemvor Lyonsbane to smite thee Necromancers!

djreynolds
2017-12-09, 05:11 PM
It's 10 minute spell, you have all the damage you need with everything else going for tempest cleric.... but now you have another trick in you bag.

300ft range also, just forcing all the monster to go right... and right into the wizards fireball range might worth it