PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Character or player perhaps

BestPlayer
2017-06-08, 08:56 AM
So after many many months of trying to light-heartedly trying to deal with this one player character I am now at my wits end. As near as I can tell the character is designed for two purposes; 1st to derail any fight, conversation or encounter into stupefaction at his antics and 2nd to cause problems and trouble for the other player characters. The player says he is just playing his character and the DM seems to agree, but he has also admitted that the character is just being made up on the fly and that he is just doing whatever he wants. This is exceedingly annoying, he spoiled every poignant or dramatic moment, he gets the party into senseless fights, and causes embarrassment for all if not death. Further there is no comining to terms with the character or handling him, as soon as the player thinks you have gotten used to the way he acts he changes it up. As I have said the DM seems to think this is all fine. I don't think he knows the difference between being funny and roleplaying honestly. If anything he rewards the player for it.

Any advice how to deal with this?

HermanTheWize
2017-06-08, 09:08 AM
So after many many months of trying to light-heartedly trying to deal with this one player character I am now at my wits end. As near as I can tell the character is designed for two purposes; 1st to derail any fight, conversation or encounter into stupefaction at his antics and 2nd to cause problems and trouble for the other player characters. The player says he is just playing his character and the DM seems to agree, but he has also admitted that the character is just being made up on the fly and that he is just doing whatever he wants. This is exceedingly annoying, he spoiled every poignant or dramatic moment, he gets the party into senseless fights, and causes embarrassment for all if not death. Further there is no comining to terms with the character or handling him, as soon as the player thinks you have gotten used to the way he acts he changes it up. As I have said the DM seems to think this is all fine. I don't think he knows the difference between being funny and roleplaying honestly. If anything he rewards the player for it.

Would your character want to still travel with him?

If not, make sure you play your character correctly as well. Problem solved.

Most of my characters don't put up with nonsense and would just stop traveling with the problem.

Desteplo
2017-06-08, 09:09 AM
Example?

Are you the only one feeling this way?

Or are the rest of the group also?

If they're having fun, you have the problem and need to discuss with him or them

Find a different group who shares your style of play

BestPlayer
2017-06-08, 09:12 AM
Would your character want to still travel with him?

If not, make sure you play your character correctly as well. Problem solved.

Most of my characters don't put up with nonsense and would just stop traveling with the problem.

The problem with this approach is that if my character stops traveling with him, then I'm out of the group and have to make a new character. The other players are so laid back that though they roll their eyes and check their phones while the buffoon is being a buffoon, they aren't likely to ever say or do anything about his behavior.

Example of his behavior would be saying very crude things to an obviously humorless evil queen for no other reason then he thought it would be funny. Or deciding to remain a werewolf despite the danger to the party and himself. All this despite having a fairly high intelligence and quite high wisdom (14 and 16 I think).

BestPlayer
2017-06-08, 09:40 AM
Should I say something to the DM or the player?

Corran
2017-06-08, 09:49 AM
Well, this is probably not the best advice, but how about creating a new character that would fit better with the group? Dont get me wrong, the problem isn't you or your character, but since the other players dont give a damn, and the DM seems to promote and not have the game world punish that kind of behaviour the other player pursues, then it is clear that the style of the game is/has become a bit different than you were expecting it to be. So, if you dont think that this is likely to change, why dont you make a new characer, adopting a new approach than what you are used to till now, and try to get the most fun out of it?

Ditching characters can be hard sometimes, but it's probably for the best in this specific case. As I said, I dont believe any of this to be your fault, but the simplest way to go back to enjoying the game, the way I see it, would be to adapt and perhaps to try a different approach. I am generally not a fan of such advice, but I think it's the best one for your case, from what I was able to make out of the situation.

monkey3
2017-06-08, 10:07 AM
The old "I'm not an A-hole, this character is, and I am just roleplaying him" trick!

We've all seen it before. If the Player does not understand "the fun of the one does not outweigh the fun of the many" then there is no cure.

Brawndo
2017-06-08, 10:10 AM
The old "I'm not an A-hole, this character is, and I am just roleplaying him" trick!

We've all seen it before. If the Player does not understand "the fun of the one does not outweigh the fun of the many" then there is no cure.

My response to that nonsense is always "Well I'm playing my character too, and my character is pissed the hell off at your character."

JakOfAllTirades
2017-06-08, 10:25 AM
My response to that nonsense is always "Well I'm playing my character too, and my character is pissed the hell off at your character."

Exactly this. You need to begin plotting his character's excruciating, humiliating, and very public demise ASAP.

You're gonna need 50 feet of Animated Rope, a bag of marbles, and some Rot Grubs....

BestPlayer
2017-06-08, 10:31 AM
Maybe I should just have my character start adventuring by himself as he refuses to associate with that buffoon any longer. The DM of course won't like splitting the party and maybe this will open a discourse in which we can explore how the buffoon can be less annoying. Maybe... I have a feeling I will be made out to be the difficult one and once again be given the choice of making a new character, continuing with the party or leaving the group.

ZorroGames
2017-06-08, 10:37 AM
Maybe I should just have my character start adventuring by himself as he refuses to associate with that buffoon any longer. The DM of course won't like splitting the party and maybe this will open a discourse in which we can explore how the buffoon can be less annoying. Maybe... I have a feeling I will be made out to be the difficult one and once again be given the choice of making a new character, continuing with the party or leaving the group.

Those do like that he options if the group and DM are as you depict.

Sad.

clash
2017-06-08, 10:53 AM
Look your all adults or I am guessing close to it. The first and ebst option is find some time to talk to the player out of character and away from the group. Explain the frustrations to him and 9/10 times the player will be reasonable and dial it back a bit while still staying true to his character. If he either doesnt dial it back or he does and you still have a problem with it then it is time to look at other options.

Maxilian
2017-06-08, 10:59 AM

I have played that character, and its not bad as long as you accept that the others will not always like it.

Funny enough, that character ended becoming the "face of the group" (funny cause he had like 10 CHA), its mostly limit yourself, i mean, you can be an ******* and not be the most loved by the group, without becoming a problem for the group.

Pex
2017-06-08, 11:04 AM
"I'm just roleplaying" is never an excuse to be a jerk. The player chose to play a jerk character, so he's being a jerk on purpose. The DM is enabling this behavior, and the other players let it be. Unfortunately you're the odd one out. If you can't convince the other players and/or the DM to tell the jerk player to knock it off with you, then your only option is to decide for yourself whether you can put with this. If you can't, and I sympathize as someone who also hates jerk players, then quit the game. It's the sad truth. It's an out of game problem that can only be resolved out of game, and sometimes voting with your feet is the answer. Find another group that won't tolerate such behavior. They do exist.

I speak from experience of been there, done that.

RSP
2017-06-08, 11:32 AM
I'd talk with the group prior to the next playing session. If no one else has an issue with it, then it falls on you to either change what you're doing, find another group, or live with it.

If no one else has an issue with the other Player/character, then you trying to divide the party will put the other players and the DM against you for trying to ruin the game.

I get that other people can be annoying, but I think it's best to see where the entire group stands on this before taking action.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-08, 11:45 AM
In a game that recently finished, I played as a character with a massive ego (22 Int by the end thanks to a tome, every single Int-based skill and even a 16 in Wis) and horrible personality flaws (8 Cha, zero Cha skills). I played him as an arrogant jerk who insulted everything and everyone, including the party.

In character, the other characters disliked him immediately and only slowly came to accept him due to his actions not matching his mouth. Out of character, he was well-liked for always being the one that put his life on the line for others, negotiating tricky situations to save everyone, and basically caring about what happened to the party more than anyone else.

Not to pat my own back here, but the reason I believe what I did was good and what's described by the OP is bad is because he lets his roleplaying decisions directly undermine other peoples' roleplaying, creating an adversarial situation where someone has to lose. Group dynamics should be decided by the group. Not to say you can't have agency, but being a lone wolf and constantly contradicting the efforts of your party would make you a bad player.

In the few experiences like it, I couldn't tell you who it's best to talk to- the DM, the problem player, or the other players. Sometimes the player doesn't realize how bad they're acting and will reel it back if you earnestly explain yourself. Sometimes they won't just because you lack the power to enforce your point, then acts even worse because of it. Sometimes the DM will act as the intermediary. Sometimes he'd rather just not rock the boat, and might even be annoyed at you for trying. Sometimes the other players will band together to prevent any further abuse. Sometimes this leads to mob mentality and everyone devolves into bullying the outsider.

Consider which risk you're most willing to take, and try figuring out which approach might be the most likely to work given your group.

Angelmaker
2017-06-08, 08:50 PM
Find out the remaining characters motivations.

Point out how due to said probtlrmatic characters behaviour you lost some good opportunities to get friends, rich and famous, and ask ( all in character ) your fellow teammates if they think this behaviour is ok for them,

If your friends are not engaged to this game and don't care about it, make them in their characters explain why they don't carel. This should give you more information on how to proceed.

If they don't even care enough to bother coming up with an explanation you know they just want to roll dice and slash monsters.

It's always about group expectations and if you are the only one expecting rp instead of dicerolling then you must correct your perception of the game or theirs.

Sigreid
2017-06-08, 10:24 PM
I've had this situation before. What I did when the character picked a stupid fight with the guards in town was, on my initiative walk over to some steps, sit down and say "I had no idea he was this stupid when he hired me." and let him deal with the consequences of his decision alone.

Yes you should back your friends up, but there is a limit.

Gryndle
2017-06-09, 06:25 AM

the next time the character starts a fight, refuse to back him/her up. If the character is the problem, have an in game conversation that you are tired of their crap, and will not be there for them when they start fights, and will not support them when they cause trouble. Make the character deal with their antics on their own, and stick to it.

If the Player is the problem, have the same conversation out-of-game, and add in that by them acting like an ass it diminishes any real character involvement for you and possibly the others.

BurgerBeast
2017-06-09, 06:49 AM
It is undeniably true that there is a problem with the player. Think about it: assume a responsible, respectful, intelligent person. Now add in that he plays this character. Is this consistent, or does it present a contradiction?

It presents a contradiction.

Leave the group. If no one ever asks why, then live with it, and move on. If anyone does ask why, then answer truthfully but respectfully: "I don't enjoy the same style of play as ______," or "I wasn't having fun," or "______ and I have different philosophies."

If you feel the need to explain yourself to the DM, to make it clear that he is not the reason you are leaving, then do so, but go to great pains to avoid anything that might be perceived as asking the DM to handle the problem for you. Do not even hint that you would stick around if the other player changed his ways - that would amount to manipulative BS and/or pitting the DM against the other player. Insist that you do not have a problem with this other player playing in this way, nor with the DM allowing it, but you don't enjoy it or want to be a part of it. Do not compromise. Leave amicably.

Extend the offer to play in another campaign with everyone involved, whenever that might next arise.

If the particular player ever asks you to join another campaign, always say no. If the DM or another player ever asks you to join another campaign, always ask who else is involved, and if the player in question is involved, always decline. You never have to say that the particular player is the reason. Just never play with him again.

Live a happier life.

RumoCrytuf
2017-06-09, 06:59 AM

Murder them. Works for me most of the time. After all, it would be "in character" right? :P

Jokes aside, talk with the player outside of the game, and let them know your issue. If they do not relent, find another group.

coredump
2017-06-09, 09:19 AM
The "Character" has to independent will, cannot make a decision, and was not spontaneously created.

The *Player* designed and created the character, the *player* decides on the characters actions, the *player* is completely responsible for how the character acts.

Period!

If someone creates a rogue that always steals from the party, it is that players fault.

If someone creates an assassin that kills players in their sleep, it is that players fault.

If someone creates a psychotic character that just random things at random times, it is that players fault.

If the player knew he was player as part of a group, in a cooperative game, and purposely designed a character incapable of doing that.... it is the players fault.

Period!

I have played a Kender for 2 years, role played as described in the books, with no problems with the other PCs and players, without derailing anyone.

As for solutions:

First is the "Dude, don't mess everything up. Its stupid to insult the powerful evil queen" But it sounds like you have tried that to no avail.

Second the "Logical consequences" option. "No your majesty, we do not stand with him, we have no problem with you throwing him in your dungeon"
Or "Hey constable, the guy that started that fire last night.... he is staying in the Green Goblin Inn, in room 14"
Or "Mr Giant, we have no idea why he attacked you. We like you and will just sit quietly over here while you deal with him"

Last is the "New PC route". Do the same thing. Create a PC with the character 'flaw' that he steals peoples things, or maybe he randomly kills people in their sleep, or sometimes pretends to heal dying people but doesn't really, or......

Good Luck.