PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Feat progression help and optimization for dex to damage slayer.

ViConstantine
2017-06-08, 01:28 PM
More of a general advice than a specific question I suppose. So, ive been trying to get dex to damage on this slayer, he is about, fast, deadly, violent kills. one of the first times ill be playing a male character in a long time so its odd enough. He is going to be mute and intimidating. These feats arent really in any particular order so advice on when to take them might be helpful. Im going Slayer 1, Unchained rogue 2,3 and 4, and then Slayer 5-20. This will be ordered by levels.

Stats are Str: 10, Dex: 19(17+2)(Human), Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 12 Cha: 13 After level increases: Str: 10, Dex: 21, Con: 16 Int: 12 Wis: 12 Cha:14 or Str: 10, Dex: 23, Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 12 Cha:14

Traits and drawbacks are: Auspicious tattoo: +1 will Muscle of society: Effective +2 to str for carry capacity Bloody-Minded: +1 intimidate and initiative (couldn't take reactionary) Umbral Unmasking: cast no shadow or a monstrous one, no one notices unless they make a DC 15 wis check. Just to add to the fear flavor.

Lvls: 1: track, studied target+1 darkvision, (dimdweller) F1:Weapon proficiency exotic (dueling sword), Bonus feat: Dirty fighting

2: trapfinding, finesse training, sneak attack +1d6, weapon finesse.

3: evasion. Rogue talent 1: fast stealth. F2: Improved dirty trick.

4: Finesse weapon 1 (dueling sword), danger sense+1 sneak attack +2d6.

5: Slayer talent 1: ranger combat style 1: two handed weapon. F3: skill focus intimidate. Ranger combat feat: power attack

6: sneak attack +3d6

7: slayer talent 2: Rogue talent: combat trick. F4: weapon trick: free hand maneuver, Combat trick feat: greater dirty trick.

8: studied target +2

9: ranger combat style 2, sneak attack +5d6. F5: Accomplished sneak attacker, Ranger combat feat: great cleave.

10: stalker

11: Rogue talent: weapon training: dueling sword. F6: Agile Maneuvers.

12: sneak attack +6d6(7d6)

13: Ranger combat style 3, advanced talents, studied target +3. F7: Improved Critical: Dueling sword, Ranger combat feat: Furious focus.

14: swift tracker

15: Slayer talent 6: Assassinate, sneak attack +7d6(8d6). F8: Critcal Focus.

16: slayers advance.

17: Slayer talent 7: Rogue advanced talents: feat, quarry. F9: Bleeding Critical, Rogue advanced talent feat: Improved initiative.

18: sneak attack +8d6(9d6), studied target +4

19: Slayer talent 8: Stuidied ally? F10: Dueling Disciple.

20: nothing.

Trading the bladed brush feat and the exotic weapon proficiency feats would force me to adjust a lot of the feats here and though im tempted, bladed brush is just so controversial that im starting to think it isnt worth touching.

the_archduke
2017-06-08, 01:38 PM
First of all, make sure the DM is okay multi-classing Slayer with Rogue. Some don't believe it is legal because Rogue is the parent class of the Slayer hybrid.

Second, why a 17/3 split? Rogue 4 and 5 give you a lot more than Slayer 16 and 17. I think 15/5 or 16/4 give you a lot more.

ViConstantine
2017-06-08, 01:56 PM
First of all, make sure the DM is okay multi-classing Slayer with Rogue. Some don't believe it is legal because Rogue is the parent class of the Slayer hybrid.

Second, why a 17/3 split? Rogue 4 and 5 give you a lot more than Slayer 16 and 17. I think 15/5 or 16/4 give you a lot more.

My gm is perfectly fine with it, in fact in my 4 years of pathfinder, I have never met a gm who has ever had any opinion about hybrid classes and multiclassing. Im a little surprised to hear at all that anyone thinks it might not be legal as the book doesnt mention that it isnt anywhere that ive ever seen. The 17/3 split is because im only in the unchained rogue for its finesse training, level 4 has nothing that interests me much outside of maybe uncanny dodge and 5 levels in would delay my feats even further not to mention drop my bab down by another point and im unwilling to do that.

TheIronGolem
2017-06-08, 02:19 PM
I have never met a gm who has ever had any opinion about hybrid classes and multiclassing. Im a little surprised to hear at all that anyone thinks it might not be legal as the book doesnt mention that it isnt anywhere that ive ever seen.
When the Advanced Class Guide was in playtest, it contained an explicit rule that you can't multiclass a hybrid class with either of its "parent" classes. This rule was later dropped, but not everybody noticed or agreed with the change, hence the warning from the_archduke.

On another note: dueling sword isn't really worth the EWP. Unless you absolutely need Dueling Mastery (which I don't even see in your build anyway, and is itself a poor option), you may as well go with a scimitar, shortsword, or rapier.

ViConstantine
2017-06-08, 02:26 PM
When the Advanced Class Guide was in playtest, it contained an explicit rule that you can't multiclass a hybrid class with either of its "parent" classes. This rule was later dropped, but not everybody noticed or agreed with the change, hence the warning from the_archduke.

On another note: dueling sword isn't really worth the EWP. Unless you absolutely need Dueling Mastery (which I don't even see in your build anyway, and is itself a poor option), you may as well go with a scimitar, shortsword, or rapier.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Also, all three of those suggested weapons have do a d6, and i dont believe they can be two handed, maybe the rapier can? The dueling sword is my choice because its a weapon no one at my table has ever played with, seemed interesting and fun and I can two hand it for dex and a half damage. I believe I noted somewhere that the bladed brush feat was considered as well so I could use a glaive with dex to damage, though, that feat is kind of poorly worded so I am trying to avoid it.

dude123nice
2017-06-11, 03:35 AM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Also, all three of those suggested weapons have do a d6, and i dont believe they can be two handed, maybe the rapier can? The dueling sword is my choice because its a weapon no one at my table has ever played with, seemed interesting and fun and I can two hand it for dex and a half damage. I believe I noted somewhere that the bladed brush feat was considered as well so I could use a glaive with dex to damage, though, that feat is kind of poorly worded so I am trying to avoid it.

Both scimitar and Rapier can be two handed. Although the scimitar can only be finessed if used in one hand and with the other hand being empty and if you take the Dervish Dance Feat. But Rapier and Scimitar also have a higher Crit range, and that is more useful than a minuscule increase in damage.