PDA

View Full Version : RP problems

Naez
2017-06-08, 02:23 PM
I have a player at my table who quite frankly sucks at role-playing. Every character he plays does contribute to the party in and out of combat but they just never have any personality. They're like robots or cardboard cutouts.

The best RP I've gotten from him was near the end of my last campaign when he had to roll a new character and played a Warforged Juggernaut. Which may have been more because his usual style actually fit the character.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-06-08, 02:27 PM
The best RP I've gotten from him was near the end of my last campaign when he had to roll a new character and played a Warforged Juggernaut. Which may have been more because his usual style actually fit the character.

Hey, that's how Arnold Schwarzenegger learned to act. There might still be hope...

DeTess
2017-06-08, 02:34 PM
So, what exactly are you asking? Are you asking for tips to get him to RP more? Are you asking for a way to gently ask him to not play in an upcoming campaign?

Anyway, I wouldn't say that this is an immense issue, if you and the other players aren't too bothered by it. You might also encourage him to start by playing characters that fit within his play-style (such as that war-forged juggernaut), so that he can pick up some RP experience within his comfort-zone first. If you want to encourage him to RP more, you could play a campaign that just puts a greater emphasis on RP over mechanics (more social encounters and less monster-stomping, for example), though you run the risk of creating something that he doesn't find too enjoyable.

Gildedragon
2017-06-08, 02:40 PM
Ask your player what persona they'd like to play, build social encounters for that sort
Also not everyone can be thespians

Naez
2017-06-08, 02:47 PM
So, what exactly are you asking? Are you asking for tips to get him to RP more? Are you asking for a way to gently ask him to not play in an upcoming campaign?

Apologies for not clarifying. I want to find ways to get him to RP more. He's a cool guy and definitely an asset to the group, his characters just lack, well character.

Telonius
2017-06-08, 02:56 PM
Is it bothering the other players or causing a distraction? If he's fine with it, and everybody else is fine with it too, no need to worry. It ain't broke, so don't fix it.

If you think he'd have more fun if he get more into the character, I'd suggest talking to him about it out-of-game. Be open to the possibility that he really just likes killing the dudes and taking their stuff. If he's open to it, you can help him along. But if it's not something he's down with, don't try to force it.

rrwoods
2017-06-08, 03:09 PM
I suggest nudging by doing a little bit of the acting yourself. You say he's contributing out of combat; I assume this means mechanically. Give life to his skill checks. Vivid descriptions of the results spot and listen checks -- including failed ones ("all you hear is the calm night breeze"). Say what's going on when he successfully evades an NPC's detection, or doesn't. Even saving throws can get pretty detailed in terms of RP fuel ("you feel a little sick to your stomach, but you're probably okay").

By narrating his actions in just a tad more detail, you provide an example for him to follow. And eventually he'll fall into it and develop his own style.

This doesn't work on everyone but I've generally had pretty good success with it.

Darrin
2017-06-08, 03:22 PM
Some people roleplay by speaking with a particular accent, write out intensely detailed backgrounds, and develop a dynamic character arc that weaves into the backgrounds of the other players and NPCs.

Some people roleplay by saying, "I roll Diplomacy. I got a 15. What happens?"

The second group isn't necessarily roleplaying *wrong*. They just have a completely different definition of how they enjoy the game.

Sam K
2017-06-08, 03:32 PM
Encourage him to play characters that come naturally to him and to his style of playing. It's easier to start RPing in your comfort zone. If he's naturally quiet and more inclined to action, he will at least make a believable "strong, silent type". Then add some situations where whatever he's playing is clearly going to help the situation along by speaking up. If he's playing a strong, silent barbarian, you can have "savage" NPCs ask that he vouches for the party since he's not as softened by civilisation. If he's playing a introvert wizard, have some important NPCs ask his opinion on things as he's "clearly an educated man who's opinion should be valued".

In general, players who are competent in playing the game, but not very outgoing, will be more inclined to join in the RP if they feel it is getting them somewhere. This approach will hopefully make him feel his contributions matter, which can be a great way to make someone who is not very comfortable RPing feel it is worth making the effort.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-08, 03:36 PM
Apologies for not clarifying. I want to find ways to get him to RP more. He's a cool guy and definitely an asset to the group, his characters just lack, well character.

And if he never changes into what you want him to be can you live with him being himself? It sounds like he is a valuable member of the group and not everyone is born to be on stage. I'd wouldn't push too hard on this.