PDA

View Full Version : Help creating magic items

HandofBlades
2017-06-08, 03:21 PM
So, I am currently running a game online where I am running a fair number of newish DnD players. For most of my players minus one or two of them this is their first or second game and as part of the world I actually ran them through world creation where the players and I sat down and created a world together. During world creation a number of powerful weapons were forged by the dwarf demi-god Thor. Now some of these were simply historical events of these powerful items being created, while others were done via world creation epics, or game changing events that the players will have to deal with at some point. Now most of the Titan Armaments (as they are referred to in game) are not actually epic weapons crafted by the but still need to feel quite powerful. I am not overly concerned about balance for 1 of the weapons as it was created specifically with an epic (each player got one to really shape the game) but I would like some help in crafting and creating the powerful artifacts.

So far I have created Volcanus the bow of fire's fury.

+3 bow (unawaked)
No arrows required as drawing the bow creates a searing line of lava that launches as an arrow from the bow itself.
does 1d10 extra fire damage on a hit plus normal longbow damage.
once per short rest can fire a fireball spell from the bow at lowest level DC 15 save
Awaked
twice per short rest can fire a fireball spell from the bow at lowest level DC 15 save
once per day can shoot a firewall spell DC 15

Now Volcanus I feel is pretty ok, it is a high damaging bow with some fun bits flavored as large volcanic rocks being shot from it and bigger ones shooting out to blast folks as fireball spells and once awaked it shoots out a stream of lava acting like a firewall spell. Any tips on making it better/improving it would be nice but this is about the level that I feel is good for the item.

Now onto the others that I truly need help building.

We have Titans Wrath, a massive two handed war hammer.

Heart of the Ocean, a sky blue shield made from a massive clam shell

The gods peace, a rod that controls a massive army of war forged known as the ebony army (one of the players epic creations, the army not the rod). (honestly given what it does story wise I think just a +3 rod is good here.

Titans Vengeance, a trident where I feel water breathing, tidal wave, and maybe control water spells would fit nicely into making it a fun item.

Kusiva's fangs twin daggers that I feel should probably be +3 daggers but do something much better when you hit an enemy with both.

Titan's Song, a musical instrument crafted for the horse lords (I am feeling lute, or maybe a small mandolin) which was the first non-combat focused item Thor ever created and he was glad he could bring something that didn't just focus on death.

Then finally the epic item.

Omega, a blade forged by Thor to be wielded by the avatar of fire known as Alpha. He proclaimed that with this blade he would have the power to strike down the gods and bring this land to peace. I know +3 sword, no doubt about that. and I am feeling that since it is one handed it does need some oomph for extra damage with either another d8 or a d10 of either psychic or necrotic damage due to it being able to harm the gods themselves however I am a bit lost for the rest of what it should do. As the first 'epic' item created I want it to feel quite powerful but given how difficult it will be for the characters to reach I don't mind if it is a little more overpowered than the other items.

Any advice is helpful as I know I can figure out these things myself but I figured I would be lazy and turn to a bunch of folks who have a lot more experience creating stuff like this than try and muddle my way through it.

Theodoxus
2017-06-08, 05:32 PM
Every epic item I've ever built levels along with the players. Blizzard stole my MO with their legendary weapons for Legion :smallwink:

But if you play WoW, that might give you an idea (though instead of Artifact Knowledge, I just leveled the items when the characters did...

Anyways, I recommend for the 'lesser' items to work that way. Perhaps start with a +1, graduating to +2 at 7th and +3 at 12th. Grant a 1d4 energy effect that also slowly increases with level; a unique ability around 10th (a sword that raises a foe it specifically kills as a zombie 1/long rest, or a staff that provides a paladin aura 1/long rest, that kind of thing.)

Make a list of all the little abilities and things, sprinkle them in from 1-20th level (there can be dead levels if you don't want/can't think of something new) and let them loose.

I ran the Pathfinder Skulls & Shackles Adventure Path where I added 6 Captain's Coats that were just regular +1 leather armor with resistance to an energy type (the coats were different colors, corresponding to the energy they protected against), until the players quested to unlock their potential, and then the coats provided a lot of defensive abilities that grew in strength as they did.

It's fun for everyone involved.

HandofBlades
2017-06-08, 06:46 PM
That is a pretty neat idea and I will be using that. The part is level 5 right now and coming up on one of the weapons so I will drop it to a plus 1 and have the potential for it to unlock more powers as they grow with is epic ability unlocking much later. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else feel free to reply cause I got nothing on the bard item, though no bards in the party so XD. Guy makes a super powered bard tool. No one plays a bard. Lol.