PDA

View Full Version : How playable is this build?

magicalmagicman
2017-06-08, 04:14 PM
There's been a few Nar Demonbinder threads this past week, which got me wanting to try it out again. The threads however has a bit of rule lawyering regarding early entry, so I've come up with a build that requires 0 rule lawyering.

Wizard6/WyrmWizard2/NarDemonbinder1/Marshal1/UltimateMagus10

The progression would be:
1-6: Wizard6
7: WyrmWizard1
8: Nar Demonbinder
9: Marshal
10: WyrmWizard2 (Devil's Ego)
11-20: Ultimate Magus

So the problem here is that although I get Lesser Planar Binding 1 level earlier than other wizards, I get Planar Binding 2 levels later than other wizards (level 13 instead of 11).

This build would severely hamper my spellcasting So basically my character's power will stay at a stand still for 4 levels (9-12)., and makes me rely on outsiders called by Lesser Planar Binding until level 12. I don't have too much experience with Lesser Planar Binding, so are they strong enough to let me contribute enough to the party until level 12?

My Ability scores would somehow end up as Int:19 and Cha:18 meaning my wizard's spell DCs are not gonna be something I can rely on.

I liked how the other thread had the earliest lesser planar binding possible (level 8), and the sky high charisma check, but I did not like the early entry stuff, and the fact that you need to rely on either dragon magazine or eberron to be able to enter Cosmic Descryer, so I changed those parts.

I think the Marshal Dip is mandatory, but maybe I can delay the Wyrm Wizard Spell Research until level 13 to get planar binding one level earlier.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-08, 07:52 PM
1. You're a wizard, you're not feat starved. Grab Demon Mastery
2. You need the epic feat Energy Resistance to enter Cosmic Descryer, which means the earliest level you can enter Cosmic Descryer at level 22.
3. If you're only getting wizard levels for gate, this means you can dip 4 other classes.

I'd go something like this:
Wizard6/WyrmWizard1/NarDemonbinder3/Marshal1/WyrmWizard1/UltimageMagus6/Fatespinner4/CosmicDescryer~

You enter Cosmic Descryer at level 23, but in exchange you get Fatespinner's reroll, NarDemonbinder's Master Summoner, and Level 10 Planar Binding. I think all this is worth the 1 level delay. Greater Planar Binding however is delayed to level 18.

If I wanted a faster greater planar binding I'd go something like this:
Wizard6/WyrmWizard1/NarDemonbinder3/Fatespinner4/Marshal1/WyrmWizard1/WizardPrC10

and enter Cosmic Descryer at level 27.

+4 from your 18 charisma +2 from Eagle's Splendor +2 from Devil's Ego +8 from Marshal +2 from Demon mastery +4 from Master Summoner = +22. You're gonna be binding virtually everything.

Important thing to note here is that even without marshal and devil's ego, your charisma is high enough to bind a bunch of low charisma outsiders at a +12 charisma check, like a Paeliryon (at-will meteor swarm).

So the trade off is, faster Cosmic Descryer or faster Greater Planar Binding.

Personally I'd choose Greater Planar Binding because Pit Fiends and Paeliryons are amazing. All Cosmic Descryer will get you is advanced versions of these guys, or a Demon Lord IF your DM doesn't advance their hd.

magicalmagicman
2017-06-09, 05:12 AM
Thanks, that's super helpful.

I'll combine both of your builds to go
Wizard6
WyrmWizard1
NarDemonbinder3
Ultimate Magus6
Marshal1
WyrmWizard2
Fatespinner4
Cosmic Descryer

Level 16 Greater Planar Binding, which is a sorcerer's standard. There are enough low cha monsters I guess I can bind with Greater Planar Binding until that marshal dip.

Power standstill got worse to 5 levels (11-15), but I guess a Ghaele could fill my role as the party's caster for those levels. They have a low enough charisma score.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-09, 10:58 AM
You might also want to consider ditching everything and just using Moment of Prescience to win your charisma checks.

I believe in the Early Entry working which is why I was optimizing that with marshal, but if you don't, it might just be better to hold on and win your charisma checks without it and use moment of prescience.

magicalmagicman
2017-06-09, 02:10 PM
You're right, I can get moment of prescience at the same time when I finish the other 2 dips.

Ok I'll ditch Marshal and Wyrm Wizard.

Then again, I really only need Marshal, maybe I'll just ditch wyrm wizard.