PDA

View Full Version : Nuchaku Question

bluthunda
2017-06-08, 05:09 PM
Since Nuchaku are effectively 2 club attacked with rope would dual weilding feats and attacks count towards these and would the Monk still be able to make unarmed strikes after attacking twice with the Nuchaku ?

Ralanr
2017-06-08, 05:10 PM
I assumed you just treated them like unarmed attacks.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-08, 05:17 PM
Only if you didn't use your bonus action to attack a second time with the "nunchaku".

Martial Arts Extra Attack & Flurry use a bonus action, you only get 1 per turn.

bluthunda
2017-06-08, 06:21 PM
So basically it would be best to use your bonus action to attack twice with the Nuchaku until your martial arts does more damage or use you're ki to Flurry of blows ?

JackPhoenix
2017-06-08, 06:31 PM
Club does 1d4, same as level 1 MA Unarmed Strike, so unless it's magical (or you have access to Shillelagh), it's only for fluff. Using it as BA is actually worse than using Martial Arts BA attack, as TWF doesn't allow ability bonus to damage by default.

lunaticfringe
2017-06-08, 06:38 PM
So basically it would be best to use your bonus action to attack twice with the Nuchaku until your martial arts does more damage or use you're ki to Flurry of blows ?

Well you can't add your modifier to damage on your 'off hand ' bonus attack unless you pick up Two Weapon Fighting Style through multiclassing. No such restriction on Martial Arts Bonus Attacks. Another thing is a Nunchaku is still a single weapon, it works more like a flail so you would still need 2 to dual wield. A club is still a good Analog.

Dual Wielding with 16 Dex & 2 clubs:
Attack Action Club 1d4+3 Damage
Bonus Action Club 1d4 Damage

1 Club with 16 Dex
Attack Action Club 1d4+3
Bonus Action Unarmed 1d4+3

bluthunda
2017-06-08, 06:44 PM
Well you can't add your modifier to damage on your 'off hand ' bonus attack unless you pick up Two Weapon Fighting Style through multiclassing. No such restriction on Martial Arts Bonus Attacks. Another thing is a Nunchaku is still a single weapon, it works more like a flail so you would still need 2 to dual wield. A club is still a good Analog.

Dual Wielding with 16 Dex & 2 clubs:
Attack Action Club 1d4+3 Damage
Bonus Action Club 1d4 Damage

1 Club with 16 Dex
Attack Action Club 1d4+3
Bonus Action Unarmed 1d4+3

Ah I gotcha when I read it in the PHB it said 2 clubs attached with rope so I assumed it actually counted as 2 clubs and with 1 lvl of fighter to get two weapon fighting you could attack twice as if you were actually holding 2 clubs thanks for the info

polymphus
2017-06-08, 06:46 PM
Club does 1d4, same as level 1 MA Unarmed Strike, so unless it's magical (or you have access to Shillelagh), it's only for fluff. Using it as BA is actually worse than using Martial Arts BA attack, as TWF doesn't allow ability bonus to damage by default.
It's a monk weapon, which means it scales in damage with your fists. The only real difference is that it doesn't get magical damage at level 6.

Whether it counts as a single club or one club in each hand I imagine would depend on your DM, but you probably want a single club so you can make your unarmed bonus attacks.

JackPhoenix
2017-06-08, 07:03 PM
It's a monk weapon, which means it scales in damage with your fists. The only real difference is that it doesn't get magical damage at level 6.

Indeed. What I meant was that there's no difference in damage between club or unarmed strike, so it doesn't matter, regardless of level (and MA damage dice)

Whether it counts as a single club or one club in each hand I imagine would depend on your DM, but you probably want a single club so you can make your unarmed bonus attacks.

It doesn't matter, you don't need free hand for monk's unarmed BA, you can kick or use any other part of your body.

polymphus
2017-06-08, 07:22 PM
Huh, good to know. Does that mean that a Way of the Kensei monk can make an unarmed bonus attack while wielding a two-handed weapon?

Arkhios
2017-06-09, 09:38 AM
Huh, good to know. Does that mean that a Way of the Kensei monk can make an unarmed bonus attack while wielding a two-handed weapon?

Technically, any monk can do that anyway. As long as they wield a monk weapon.

All simple melee weapons are monk weapons. Greatclub is two-handed simple melee weapon, so you could wield it, attack once (or twice if you have Extra Attack) with it and then take bonus action to either one (martial arts) or two (flurry of blows) unarmed strikes.

JackPhoenix
2017-06-09, 05:46 PM
Technically, any monk can do that anyway. As long as they wield a monk weapon.

All simple melee weapons are monk weapons. Greatclub is two-handed simple melee weapon, so you could wield it, attack once (or twice if you have Extra Attack) with it and then take bonus action to either one (martial arts) or two (flurry of blows) unarmed strikes.

Nope:
monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two- handed or heavy property

So no greatclub. Versatile property is OK, though, that's why spears and staves work.

Arkhios
2017-06-09, 07:24 PM
Nope:

So no greatclub. Versatile property is OK, though, that's why spears and staves work.
Oops! This is what you get for not having a book at hand.